• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

c3287572656fc600e87d71a8ca752c23 (resized).jpg
Petty (resized).jpg
IMG_4065 (resized).JPG
download (1) (resized).jpg

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago

He was enchanting to listen to just disc jockeying on his XM channel. I loved his voice and his taste in music almost as much.

#52 6 years ago

Wikipedia has clarified, doesn't list him deceased anymore. Hope he makes it!

#53 6 years ago

That would be really sad if he died again. Twice in one day is too much for anyone.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Wikipedia has clarified, doesn't list him deceased anymore. Hope he makes it!

sounds like zero brain activity?

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sounds like zero brain activity?

Never stopped Justin Bieber or Katy Perry.

#58 6 years ago

Time to take it back to near the beginning then.

#59 6 years ago

It's official

Tom Petty has died

#60 6 years ago

Always liked his music, didn't know he was only 66 thought he looked alot older. RIP

#61 6 years ago

Guess it's been awhile since I listened to ole Tom. I have nothing on my iPod, even though​ I own like 5 albums. And of course, the pos old ass Dell I have is down and I don't think they even put disc players in laptops anymore...grrrrr.

Wildflowers tonight.
Such a magnificent piece of work
RIP Tom. You are missed.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Never stopped Justin Bieber or Katy Perry.

Or you

#63 6 years ago

What a bummer grew up listening to Tom Petty. Such a great musician and songwriter.
One of my favorite artist of all time. RIP Tom!

IMG_4065 (resized).JPGIMG_4065 (resized).JPG

#64 6 years ago

Such a shame. Did anyone else happen to see him on the tour where he had the giant tree and treehouse on stage? And the trunk with the super bright lights when he opened it and took out the Mad Hatter hat? Not sure what year it was, but one of the best concerts I have ever been to. What a showman!

#65 6 years ago

Wife and I saw him on the Echo tour. Woke up the next morning and saw a hideous pink and purple tye dye concert t. I was like babe that's one fugly shirt you bought she's like I didn't buy it you did.
Well how much did I spend?
$5.
After the show hacker wanted $10.
Sadly this was my work shirt for a long time and just got obliterated. I remember having a little ceremony for it's retirement into the trash.

#66 6 years ago

I saw him when he and the Heartbreakers toured with Bob Dylan way way back in 1986.

I had no idea it was so long ago until I looked it up on Wikipedia! June 18, 1986, they played Phoenix. Thanks, Internet!

I recall enjoying Tom's stuff a lot more than Bob's, but I had forgotten that they closed with Knockin' on Heaven's Door. It may explain why I get a visceral disgust reaction when I hear G&R ruining that song. Now I suppose it'll be even worse. Thanks, Internet!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/flashback-bob-dylan-and-tom-petty-hit-the-road-20131121
Article includes video of that song.

Dylan has ten years on Tom, and he's still kicking. Who knew, of the two, that Tom would stop knocking on that door first?

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Guess it's been awhile since I listened to ole Tom. I have nothing on my iPod, even though​ I own like 5 albums. And of course, the pos old ass Dell I have is down and I don't think they even put disc players in laptops anymore...grrrrr.
Wildflowers tonight.
Such a magnificent piece of work
RIP Tom. You are missed.

wildflowers is pretty good. but I think Full Moon Fever is one of the top 10 best albums ever written. Fantastic work.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wildflowers is pretty good. but I think Full Moon Fever is one of the top 10 best albums ever written. Fantastic work.

That's because of the genius of Jeff Lynne.

#69 6 years ago

What a huge loss. He was one of my favorite people to see live. Rest in Peace Tom.

#70 6 years ago

You know Eddie Murphy is somewhere saying "looks like they took you back first now don't​ it Tom?"

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

That's because of the genius of Jeff Lynne.

Interestingly enough, I was a huge ELO and TP fan growing up. Actually had all the US ELO albums through Time and then the first 5 TP albums which in my book were all masterpieces. Then when he collaborated with Dave Stewart and released Southern Accents I was really kind of turned off. Then when he started writing with Jeff Lynne it just didn't work for me; and I was really jacked about the joining of the two since I was an ELO fan. From Southern Accents on, his music and sound kind of changed from what I cut my teeth on and I never bought a TP album after that. Still a huge fan though as his early work was a soundtrack to my youth. Huge, huge loss of a one of a kind American icon. Still numb after a couple of days.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from paragon66x:

Interestingly enough, I was a huge ELO and TP fan growing up. Actually had all the US ELO albums through Time and then the first 5 TP albums which in my book were all masterpieces. Then when he collaborated with Dave Stewart and released Southern Accents I was really kind of turned off. Then when he started writing with Jeff Lynne it just didn't work for me; and I was really jacked about the joining of the two since I was an ELO fan. From Southern Accents on, his music and sound kind of changed from what I cut my teeth on and I never bought a TP album after that. Still a huge fan though as his early work was a soundtrack to my youth. Huge, huge loss of a one of a kind American icon. Still numb after a couple of days.

Well, Jeff was the reason Freefallin' came to be. Tom was just banging out some chords and Jeff brought it to his attention that he might have a hit on his hands. I don't know how you can't like the pairing of the two since the production sounds almost like ELO with Tom singing. Learning To Fly, Won't Back Down, Into the Great Wide Open, etc., etc. All great songs with solid hooks.

Did you not like the Wilburys stuff, either? That took me a little longer, but I still grew to love it.

#73 6 years ago

It really sucks that he won't come around here no more.

#74 6 years ago

TP dabbled in acting as well. I thought The Postman was a pretty good movie.

#75 6 years ago

A huge loss he was my favorite musician of all time. I was lucky enough to catch him earlier in his tour with my wife and 5 year old daughter at The Greek in Berkeley. It was my daughters first concert. Such a great show that my wife & I decided to catch his show at The Hollywood Bowl just about a week ago. It turned out to be his final show ever. Two of the most memorable concerts I will ever see. Gonna miss him been feeling pretty bummed.

#76 6 years ago

Thank God all the Kardashians are still breathing...

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You'll say anything, no matter how stupid, as long as you think you're clever.

#78 6 years ago

But let me get to the point
Let's roll another joint
And turn the radio loud
I'm too alone to be proud

The guy was amazing, he will be sorely missed. I remember when I watched this video when Prince died and at the time I really enjoyed Tom's expression as Prince turned to him during the solo.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Tom Petty Passes.

Are they backstage passes?
I'd ask how much you want for them, but I can't afford to be where Tom will be playing next.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He's just gonna leave this world for a while...

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

You'll say anything, no matter how stupid, as long as you think you're clever.

Don't do me like that!

#82 6 years ago

Too much aint enough.

#83 6 years ago

You don't know how it feels (to be dead)

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Well, Jeff was the reason Freefallin' came to be. Tom was just banging out some chords and Jeff brought it to his attention that he might have a hit on his hands. I don't know how you can't like the pairing of the two since the production sounds almost like ELO with Tom singing. Learning To Fly, Won't Back Down, Into the Great Wide Open, etc., etc. All great songs with solid hooks.
Did you not like the Wilburys stuff, either? That took me a little longer, but I still grew to love it.

I did like the Wilbury stuff to a certain degree. It just seemed like the later Petty works (post 1982) lost some of the rawness/wildness to it and was a little too refined. I do listen to the TP radio on XM all the time and there are some real gems in his later work that I have missed out on. May have to buy some of his later works.

#85 6 years ago

Tom lived the rock n roll dream. He made it big with his hometown buddies Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench. Not many rock stars stick with their garage band that they started with.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Frippertron:

He made it big with his hometown buddies Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench. Not many rock stars stick with their garage band that they started with.

Makes me wonder why he felt the need to move to Ca. when Fla. was his home.

#87 6 years ago

I had a roommate who worked as a roadie for Tom whose best friend was his road manager from his beginnings when he arrived in LA to his last concert. Many funny stories to having Tom call the house and ask for my roommate who has the same name. I said this is Jimmy knowing this is Tom. He said I'm looking for __. I said he's not here can I ask whose calling? He says
tp. I ask tp who? Dialtone. When I see my roommate he laughs and throws me a guitar pick from Tom and says Tom tells him to tell me to quit phuckin with him. He was apparently a really cool guy. The road manager would comment he hated rock stars who acted like rock stars as he worked for many, many bands. And he worked for Tom for 40 years.

#89 6 years ago

I always felt that Petty wrote songs for himself and didn't give a rats ass what the critics or the record people thought. Respect.

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from Silverballer:

I always felt that Petty wrote songs for himself and didn't give a rats ass what the critics or the record people thought. Respect.

Exactly.

#91 6 years ago

I threw on Full Moon Fever last night for my kids (3 and 6). I listened to so much Petty in middle and high school but haven't spun him up in a while. Listening to that album again was awesome, and my boys were totally into it. I like a bunch of Petty's other stuff too, but Full Moon Fever is just great song after great song.

I'll have to see if my brother still has the vinyl Full Moon Fever we picked up at a yard sale so we could blind test record vs CD on my dad's hi-fi. There really was a difference!

#92 6 years ago

Tom cracked me up on Leno some years back...he was in the hot seat while already-interviewed guest Simon cowel was in the chair to his right. Jay asked "so who do you like this season on American idol?"

Tom thought for a moment and said "I don't know Jay it's hard to choose, they are all so awful" as Simon scoweled at him.

I was laughing my ass off. Tom petty ain't got time for that bullshit

#93 6 years ago

I'll be watching "The Postman" this weekend in honor...although i might have watched it anyway.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll be watching "The Postman" this weekend in honor...although i might have watched it anyway.

HBO subscription ran out?

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

HBO subscription ran out?

That movie is a great way to spend 3 laugh filled hours drinking in the middle of the day

#96 6 years ago

I'm actually kinda shocked that this thread hasn't totally exploded yet....such an amazing talent gone....I'm not embarrassed to say-it actually really choked me up when I heard...

#97 6 years ago

Although I havnt listened in a while he was one of our favorites. We used to jam to Petty and smoke mandrax (wafers and 300's) in a bong. Those were the days.

#98 6 years ago

Somewhat ashamed to admit that I've never heard "Spike" until today. Wow. What a burner.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

I threw on Full Moon Fever last night for my kids (3 and 6). I listened to so much Petty in middle and high school but haven't spun him up in a while. Listening to that album again was awesome, and my boys were totally into it. I like a bunch of Petty's other stuff too, but Full Moon Fever is just great song after great song.
I'll have to see if my brother still has the vinyl Full Moon Fever we picked up at a yard sale so we could blind test record vs CD on my dad's hi-fi. There really was a difference!

The two best songs on that album get no respect, Your So Bad and Love is a Long Road.

#100 6 years ago

In Gainesville here (Petty's home town), there's a wall where anyone can legally paint on or do graffiti. Always changing (aside from one memorial section that people know not to paint over [Five 1990 serial killer victims]). This is on there currently:

Petty (resized).jpgPetty (resized).jpg

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-petty-passes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.