(Topic ID: 6987)

TOM - past owners: why didn't you like it?

By kmoore88

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

104b1140.jpg
ToM_exam.jpg
ToM.jpg
ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg
IMG_3089_(Large).JPG
#1 12 years ago

I'm thinking about getting a TOM for another restoration project as I love the magic theme. For those of you that have owned a TOM in the "past", why did you end up getting rid of it? What didn't you like about it?

Thanks for any and all feedback.

#2 12 years ago

I have it and I think it is a great pin. A true Classic. The only bad side is the lack of a great wizard mode.

#3 12 years ago

didn't own one, but i'd guess maybe it's too easy? I haven't achieved any great scores but i've heard it gets repetitive after awhile. Alot of hitting the box, ahem...

#4 12 years ago

Get it. I loved mine. Only sold it as I received an offer I couldn't refuse. IMG_3089_(Large).JPGIMG_3089_(Large).JPG

#5 12 years ago

Keeper in my book - great change from some stop and go games....lots of flow here

#6 12 years ago

Owned TOM for quite a while. Beautiful, excellent sounds, great flow.

The reasons I sold it were way too much hitting the chest, modes end when you drain the ball even if you hit nothing, the modes only need to be started, no wizard mode and it just felt like it was missing a couple difficult/distant shots.

I would own one again because it was a casual player crowd pleaser and it looks fantastic. A great J-pop title to say the least.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

I have it and I think it is a great pin. A true Classic. The only bad side is the lack of a great wizard mode.

Exactly. A top fiver for me for sure, love this pin. And you don't have to shoot the chest all the time, the big points are in the multipliers, theatre spellings and subsequent multiballs anyways.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

+1....Only thing holding it back from being right up there with AFM & MM.

#9 12 years ago

I got mine in March of this year and completed the wizard mode within a week. It's a beautiful game. My wife likes it, otherwise I would have traded / sold it by now. I did experiment with LEDs in it to keep my interest a little longer. Just too repetitive and too easy IMO.

#10 12 years ago

It is a very fast flowing pin. All the modes are good fun to complete and even after the wizard mode you can work on getting big bonus's-plenty of challenges.
It looks great and plays great. It's pretty damn near prefect in my eyes. I sometimes regret selling mine.

#11 12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a great player and I have a couple of deep games in my collection, so easy would be a plus.

#12 12 years ago

Have played it a lot on location, three different machines. Good looking game, but I could never get into it. Isn't a lot of fun for me.

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

I'm not a great player and I have a couple of deep games in my collection, so easy would be a plus.

Looking at your collection, I think ToM would compliment it nicely. Plus, it's a really easy title to move if you decide it's just not your cup of tea.

#14 12 years ago

Was TOO Easy and Repetitive .. ToM is Eye Candy for Sure , but I got Bored w/ it Quickly.. It might be different for you.. Get it at a Good Price , if you Tire of it, You could Easily get yr money back.. Mine did have the Tiger saw mod / with a Real 4'' blade. And I Pimped it w/CoinTaker's Led's too.. Then I sold it to Golden Beaver for $ 2900.00

,, But , I would have it again for the Right price..

ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpgToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg ToM.jpgToM.jpg ToM_exam.jpgToM_exam.jpg

#15 12 years ago

Wow that TOM look awesome B_R!

Reason I got rid of mine was probably because I got bored with it. It is a great flowing game and looks amazing. Sound and music: top notch. Modes: fun. What lacks? Humor! Oh, and a good wizard mode. I don't like wizard modes with only one ball

All in all, I owned my TOM for more than 5 years!

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Wow that TOM look's Awesome B_R!

All in all, I owned my TOM for more than 5 years!

Thanxx Robin ,, I owned mine for 45 day's !!! Give or Take a day or 2 ..

#17 12 years ago

I had all three John P's games. TOTAN, CV and TOM. They were beautiful to look at, and had great light shows especially CV. That being said I had them all less then one year. To put it into perspective I have had LOTR since 03. I tend to hang on to ones I really like. The issue I had with them was basically it was hit the big toy over and over (chest, Ringmaster and lamp). Very repetitive at least for me easy to finish and I'm not that great of a player. The big plus if you do get it is very easy to move out should you get board.

#18 12 years ago

I have ToM and it's a keeper. Great pin

#19 12 years ago

I agree totally, they are all great FUN pins! I love J-Pop titles, overall awesome machines. They are not the deepest rule sets, some serious players tend to get a little bored and gravitate to more challenging machines, LOTR, TSPP, TZ, STTNG, IJ just to name a few, that take substantial time to complete. I love all pinball, but I can only have so many, so I tried to balance out the line up a bit.

#20 12 years ago

I love J-Pops machines as well and TOM has the total package for me. It looks beautiful and really flows. I've currently got it set on medium difficulty and the incline at 7 degrees and it feels dialed right in and plays solid. Right on. I feel like Shaft.

#21 12 years ago

I don't like easy games...I try to stay away. I've learned that if it's too easy I sell them. I hear TOM is easy so I'm staying away.

#22 12 years ago

Tom is awesome. Easy?? Not mine... one of the harder finals to get to. I find the timed final fun, but my problem is the lack of theatrical payoff when you win it. Other than that, having to light all modes, count to midnight, completed the multiball, complete theater to start the final is a nice variety change from the usual.

I love the game. There is someone getting rid of every game, and for each game there is someone out there that thinks its the best thing ever.

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from kmoore88:

I'm thinking about getting a TOM for another restoration project

Where u finding a TOM to restore. I would love to buy one, its one of my personal favs. But looking, I only see fully restored machines; and they are asking stupid money for...

Where u finding a unrestored version?

#24 12 years ago

I love mine very much but may sell it at some point to get a NIB pin. I am sure I will loose money on it as I put way to much into it. Unless I find someone willing to pay a premium for one that is 100% done and needs NOTHING.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Where u finding a TOM to restore. I would love to buy one, its one of my personal favs. But looking, I only see fully restored machines; and they are asking stupid money for...

I haven't. Still in the mulling over stage. "Fully" restored to me is touching "every" part and either repairing/restoring to new or better condition or replacing with new. So, given that definition, I see a few out there that are available that I don't consider fully restored. On the money part, I've all ready gone through stupid by restoring a MM so I'm IQ points ahead by looking at a TOM.

#26 12 years ago

A ToM sold @ the W.Salem Auction for $ 1750.00 .. This is a Friday-nite pict- ,, I didn't make the Sat- sale .. If i did , I would've went maybe closer to 2k and wouldn't have traded my Sample TZ for the ToM that I Owned !!

104b1140.jpg104b1140.jpg

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

A ToM sold @ the W.Salem Auction for $ 1750.00 .. This is a Friday-nite pict- ,, I didn't make the Sat- sale .. If i did , I would've went maybe closer to 2k and wouldn't have traded my Sample TZ for the ToM that I Owned !!

.... .....

--------------------------

2009?

#28 12 years ago

I guess we are all different as I do not find TOM any easier than any other pin. Maybe it is how it is set up? I am still deciding if it is a keeper.

Well, it would be a keeper for sure but space being the enemy we will see. I know it is a game that if I move it on, I will miss it.

No problem with it being in the Top 10 though.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

A ToM sold @ the W.Salem Auction for $ 1750.00 .. This is a Friday-nite pict

I never see any opportunities like this in Houston. If i could get a TOM for under $2K, I would be there in a heart-beat. I need to get connected with the scene here in Houston....

#30 12 years ago

I am still looking to buy a TOM. I have 2500 to drop on it if anyone is interested in selling or knows where I can get one.....

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from TigerSaw:

I have 2500 to drop

I rarely see it for sale much less at this price. Time to go to an auction I guess

#32 12 years ago

Honestly, I have been threw a lot of Pins, and ToM was one of the biggest let downs out there. It was awesome for like 2 days. The trunk is a cool gimmic, but after a few days, I didn't find myself wanting to play it anymore. The rules are shallow, the "Wizard Mode" if you can call it that, sucks! AVOID. Save an extra 1.5k and get a CV, extremely deep rules, Wizard mode with 6 levels with the home ROM, Neon light, pop up bumper. CV is JPop's greatest game to date.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from loud_knocker:

Save an extra 1.5k and get a CV

I've never seen CV at less than 4k!

#34 12 years ago

Personally I don't think it's got much depth, and no humour... and I really dislike the polished voice of the woman telling you what to shoot for... there's someing 'clever' about the quality of the voice that grates with me... It's a common thread with Popaduik pins, and one strong reason I don't get on with any of 'em...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-past-owners-why-didnt-you-like-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.