New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 76184)

TOM owners - does your ball get stuck a lot in the upper right of the playfield?

By rennervision

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by rennervision
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DCP_1693.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I am getting my ball stuck a lot in the same spot I have pictured (when the ball is returning from a shot to the far left lane):

DCP_1693.JPG

After investigating I learned there's actually two stacked pieces of clear plastic that the ball gets stuck under rather than just one. I'm not sure if this is standard with everyone's machine, and it seems to me if I were to remove one of the plastics I will reduce the thickness in half - possibly creating a little more clearance for the ball.

However, the bottom piece might be designed to strengthen the plastic. (Perhaps it's more prone to breaking without a double layer to reinforce it so it's essential not to remove?)

Any other TOM owners with this problem or a suggestion on what to do?

#2 6 years ago

Probably the wrong size spacers holding the plastic. That is what washers were invented for. Raise the plastic.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Yeah I should've mentioned I already tried that but it didn't seem to help.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from rennervision:

Yeah I should've mentioned I already tried that but it didn't seem to help.

Try higher.

LTG : )

#5 6 years ago

I never get ball hang ups there

#6 6 years ago

Nope, no issues on mine

#7 6 years ago

I had the exact same issue. Do what Lloyd said...continue to raise the plastic.

#8 6 years ago

Sorry, I probably didn't explain very well. I tried raising it with three washers - after that it can't go any higher as there's nothing for the nuts on top to screw onto. That's why I was kind of focusing on whether there should be two pieces of plastic there as it seems removing one will help (but not sure if it's supposed to have two and then I'll be dealing with a broken piece of plastic at some point).

#9 6 years ago

Try a longer screw.

#10 6 years ago

My ToM only has one plastic in that area. Maybe the previous owner put a plastic protector underneath it. Are there clear plastic protectors in other areas like your slingshots?

#11 6 years ago

I just looked at mine. There are two tabs on the top of the ball guide that it mounts to. If the front tab is bent up a bit it would make the plastic lower. If you can't add any more washers, then bending it down a bit will raise the plastic.

#12 6 years ago

Mine never gets stuck there, and I only have one sheet of plastic. It does have some ball marks on it so maybe yours i just to inflexible. But it also could be the wireform is up too high. Did you check the mount points for the wireform and make sure they were as low as possible?

#13 6 years ago

Warped plastic, remove the plastic and heat and flatten it. Mine was doing this also.

#14 6 years ago

Well it sounded like my TOM was a unique case, so I removed one of the plastic pieces and raised the other with washers. Assuming the bottom plastic serves no purpose, you can't even tell it's removed. No more hang ups - so all is good for now.

Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside