View topic image gallery

13b.jpg
images-3.jpeg
images-2.jpeg
ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg
Scared_Stiff-3.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Which one do you prefer?

I have space for 4 and already have TOTAN (keeper) and NGG (keeper).

#2 12 years ago

I own a SS and love the machine. Not a deep rule set and pretty easy but always fun to play and is always one of the favorites if people are over. My friend picked up a super nice TOM about 3 months ago and is already trying to trade/sell it. TOM is a good game as well in my opinion but I would choose SS. Seems like more TOM are for sale on a regular basis.

#3 12 years ago

For the money SS it's alot cheaper and a better machine IMO

#4 12 years ago

I would go for a TOM over SS myself. Why did you end up getting rid of the LOTR pickle?

#5 12 years ago

SS over ToM anyday .. They Both got Old to me tho.. Get you a BSD .. Less $$ and better Play.

Scared_Stiff-3.jpgScared_Stiff-3.jpg ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpgToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg

#6 12 years ago

I'll have both side by side in a week or two. Then I can chime in.

#7 12 years ago

Sell NGG and add both!

#8 12 years ago

I happen to love ToM, but I've heard a lot of people say that it gets old pretty fast once you own it. Even though SS isn't necessarily one of my favorites, people don't tend to tire of it as quickly.

#9 12 years ago

Even if the rules aren't terribly complicated, the sounds, quotes, and humor never got old for me on SS. You had better play it first though, because if you don't like that type of humor, or that "genre" of speaking/music it would likely drive you nuts. Never played TOM YET............

#10 12 years ago

I like both games. TOM is a great looking game, and the humor + Elvira on SS are awesome. Gameplay wise I give the edge to TOM by a bit.

#11 12 years ago

I've owned n sold ToM & currently have a SS. Both great games but the wizard modes on SS set it apart from ToM. Get the SS!!!

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Why did you end up getting rid of the LOTR pickle?

The ruleset was incredible but the overall quality was bad. LOTR is not so much fun. I prefer game who have simple ruleset and better flow.

I never tried SM but i think i would prefer than LOTR

#14 12 years ago

Definitely SS. TOM is a neat pin, but it seems like one that would grow old quickly. Definitely not one to add to a home collection IMO.

#15 12 years ago

Both great games but the wizard modes on SS set it apart from ToM. Get the SS!!!

+2...

images-2.jpegimages-2.jpeg

Of these!

#16 12 years ago

Now THAT is a wizard mode!!! Can we get Jack to put those in the next pin from JJP?

#17 12 years ago

Can we get Jack to put those in the next pin from JJP?

Don't get me started-
Don't even get me started..!

images-3.jpegimages-3.jpeg

#18 12 years ago

Don't get me started-
Don't even get me started..!

Speaking of boobs... They should make a Total Recall pin and have the three breasted martian chick's boobs be the pop bumpers. Who wouldn't want to play that?

Baby... You make me wish I had three hands!

13b.jpg13b.jpg

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Speaking of boobs... They should make a Total Recall pin and have the three breasted martian chick's boobs be the pop bumpers. Who wouldn't want to play that?
Baby... You make me wish I had three hands!

One of the best posts I've read on Pinside!!

#20 12 years ago

You have to have both, as both are great well designed and unique games. TOM with its trunk and fast flowing game-play and SS with err Elvira for a start plus great wizard modes and game-play!! I'm also a big NGG fan and have owned and TOTAN in the past. They would make an awesome line up.

#21 12 years ago

Yessa! You are correct sir. Give that man a prize.

I can't stand the gofers, Foolish game. I owned it for about 2 weeks.
A chucky Cheese machine. I was embarrassed to play it.
But I have to say it is a complex design, there is a lot going on. Classic Lawlor. But the audio ruined the game for me.
Just my opinion.

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from emo:

You have to have both, as both are great well designed and unique games. TOM with its trunk and fast flowing game-play and SS with err Elvira for a start plus great wizard modes and game-play!!

+ 1

#23 12 years ago

He actually doesn't need to sell anything. He has space for 4 and only has 2 right now. He could buy them both and fill out his collection. Then, when he needs space later on, he can sell his TOTAN to me.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

I never tried SM but i think i would prefer than LOTR

Yea everyone has their own tastes when it comes to pinball. I would take a SM over TOM or SS any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If you get a chance try to get some play on a SM before you make up your mind. I think TOTAN, NGG, & SM would go very well together. I may be in the minority but if you like flow doesn't get much better than SM IMO.

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

if you like flow doesn't get much better than SM IMO.

#26 12 years ago

Am does have great flow and lots of action

#27 12 years ago

If you already got a TOTAN, then you need a Nordman design in your collection and I would go with SS. I love both almost equally, but in your particular case I would recommend SS because TOM feels a lot like TOTAN, and SS would be a little change of pace.

#28 12 years ago

it is going to be interesting to me to see how I like TOM and SS side by side. As soon as I get my SS which should be soon from GAP I will post. I am eager to have Elvira in da House and spend some time getting to know her better. GAP is making her shine.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

it is going to be interesting to me to see how I like TOM and SS side by side. As soon as I get my SS which should be soon from GAP I will post. I am eager to have Elvira in da House and spend some time getting to know her better. GAP is making her shine.

Post quickly!

I cannot decide between these two, so am hoping to buy both

Slight doubts re TOM as once the beauty wears off, many seem to trade it quickly. But, I guess trading is part of the fun!

#30 12 years ago

I will go with SS for now. Maybe TOM or SM for the next. I will have the chance to try SM when i will pick up the SS next week.

#31 12 years ago

It seems as if everybody I know of who has a TOM is trying to sell it. None of the people I know with SS are trying to unload theirs. That should tell you something...

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

It seems as if everybody I know of who has a TOM is trying to sell it. None of the people I know with SS are trying to unload theirs. That should tell you something...

What killed TOM for me was the horrible wizard mode...."fifty million, fifty million" etc etc.....got old fast.

Even though getting to the stiff o meter is easy its still not the easiest thing to complete the 1st time you get to it. They made it easy for us letting us start where we left off if you get there a 2nd time (would have been nice to see an adjustment making you start at level 1 each time you got to it to really make you earn Monster Multiball). What I love about SS is spider multi-ball. The best interactive back box toy ever and getting to spider multi-ball is very difficult but worth the effort working that right ramp.

I'd love to have both pins in a deep collection but in a smaller one SS is the keeper.

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Does seem to be this way although I emailed a ton of TOM owners who had nice examples and none wanted to sell. Have since been offered a few. TOM just looks so good in the dark though!

#34 12 years ago

I'd pick SS over ToM. The theme on ToM is IMO not well implemented, and the wizard mode is terrible. I didn't find the layout particularly compelling either. Assuming you don't dislike the SS theme/humor, SS's theme is more fun, and SS has good wizard modes, and i feel like it generally plays better. TOTAN, NGG, SS would be a really solid set of games.

I'd get the SS. Skip the TOM, and wait for something better and more unique than ToM for the 4th.

I'm with you on ditching LoTR - the build quality just isn't up there with WPC pins, and I don't care for the byzantine ruleset - it might as well not have a wiz mode, because almost nobody is good enough to see it.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from DrAzzy:

I'm with you on ditching LoTR - the build quality just isn't up there with WPC pins

The cabinet sideart and the ty-raps killed me. Ugliest sideart ever and it is not a matter of taste....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
£ 37.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

£ 49.00
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

£ 39.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
9,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weeki Wachee, FL
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-or-ss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.