View topic image gallery

Pinball_Invoice_LOTR.jpg
ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg
LOTR,HUO,.jpg
LOTR.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Hi all,
Great site!!
Just wanting some opinions on which machine to purchase.

it's either TOM or LOTR..
Im wanting a game thats fun and will last a good long while in my collection.

First of all I am NOT a lotr fan! But seeing that it rates so high im thinking it might actually be a good game to own?

Any opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 12 years ago

Have you played ToM? If so what did you think of it? I rate it very high on my list of games played but like you have never played LOTR.

#3 12 years ago

I have only played a TOM for around 5 mins max.
There are none near where I live to be able to play.

Only way to find out what a game is like is to actually purchase it unfortunately.

#4 12 years ago

Well I can say that ToM is very enjoyable and you will get many hours fun out of it and with its theme there is not many that wont like.

#5 12 years ago

Buy both. That's what I would do.

#6 12 years ago

Well, I am about to buy TOM and have LOTR. So different. LOTR is deep, long balls times ( sometimes! ). TOM is beautiful, full of flow and some say easy and repetitive. If you are a great player the wizard mode may be a let down with TOM whereas you will never finish LOTR! I love them both

#7 12 years ago

I had ToM and got bored of it. It is a beautiful game though, and has flow to spare.

#8 12 years ago

A surprising number of people seem to say they "got bored of" ToM - I have played it for a while, and sort of see how that would happen - it doesn't have the depth or variety of the top tier of pinball machines.

I can't say I like LoTR though - the rules are so deep that you'll likely never see the wizard mode (at least not with the glass on), and the ball/game times can get so long that it starts to become a bit tiresome. The sound and artwork is great, though, and it's certainly one of stern's best efforts.

#9 12 years ago

LOTR...

LOTR.JPGLOTR.JPG

Because it IS so deep... Helm's Deep!

#10 12 years ago

NP, how does LOTR play for a quick fix? IE, I can usually get a high scoring, satisfying game done on HS2 in less than 10 minutes. Are "short", fun games even possible on LOTR?

#11 12 years ago

OMG, that LOTR is beautiful Nimble. I got my 1st chance to play one about a week ago, and I was hooked. It's now on my 'must have' list.

#12 12 years ago

You can play it for a half-hour and be satisfied TG. But, once you start actually completing the modes...
LOTR will grab you- and stick you into the time vacuum. You will be compelled to destroy at least ONE ring before flipping the switch!

TRON on the other hand...

#13 12 years ago

I only think people will *love* LOTR if they're a fan...
So, I'd personally go for the ToM - great looking game and great flow.

#14 12 years ago

I don't go to my LOTR for quick fixes. That is why I have Corvette. Sure there are short games. But if you have any ball handling skill, most games will be longer.

#15 12 years ago

Just my 2 cents. I owned them both but kept LOTR, it has been in my collection the longest got it NIB in December of 03. TOM is a beautiful game to look at especially the cabinet, but it did get rather old to me quickly.

#16 12 years ago

LOTR without a doubt IMO.

Quoted from jsandjs:

TOM is a beautiful game to look at especially the cabinet, but it did get rather old to me quickly.

+1 on that.

#17 12 years ago

No quick fix of LOTR! Long game times for me......you won't get tired of it that's for sure..

#18 12 years ago

It sounds like the smart thing for me to do is keep lotr at home and take my quick fix games to work...where i rarely have long times to play. Thanks NP..and you too, riff for letting me jack your thread for a second

#19 12 years ago

Nimble - yours looks so good I am going to have to make changes to mine

#20 12 years ago

I hope to have both one day but would get the Theatre first...type LOTR in ebay and they gonna be easy to find and ingood condition longer than TOM will be.

#21 12 years ago

Thanks guys. Maybe I should just get both. I'm no Lotr fan but like a good pinball game.

#22 12 years ago

If you want a fun game, my opinion is the LOTR won't please you... yes it's deep, yes it beautiful, but there's absolutely no humour in it... I had one set up for a few months in my house, it was a great game at first, but after a while I was starting to wonder why playing it wasn't making me smile... and then it hit me, it's just not funny... at all... It takes itself way too seriously in my opinion...

#23 12 years ago

I had ToM and got bored of it. It is a beautiful game though

My word's Exactly !!! EyE Candy.. Hit the Box, shoot for the middle ramp , etc,,,,

I Traded my Proto-type TZ for this Pin .. and LOTR .. I'm Not even gonna comment

LOTR was HUO tho . I even got the Original 2005 invoice from the seller..

LOTR,HUO,.jpgLOTR,HUO,.jpg ToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpgToM_all_Led_d_with_BSD.jpg Pinball_Invoice_LOTR.jpgPinball_Invoice_LOTR.jpg

#24 12 years ago

TOM has great flow and excellent toys . The spirit ring magnet, trap door, Trunk , magnets on the out lanes. Great DOT matrix animations.Great pin for full LEDS. True classic. If it is in Collector quality get it. Then start saving for LORD of THE RINGS. But if TOM is nice go for it .

3 weeks later
#25 12 years ago

I have both - if you have the funds, try that! Both awesome games - TOM = quick fix - LOTR = I tell the wife I'm off to Middle Earth when I'm going for a game, it's that immersive.

#26 12 years ago

Im finding myself more attracted to the fast fun games rather than the deep start stop titles these days. AFM and the like.. (seems to be the only pin I'm playing in my collection)
Guess I was swept by the hype of LOTR.

I do like TSPP and love TZ but they seem to be enough for my collection at this stage.
I will go for a TOM, just have to find a nice one!

#27 12 years ago

Are you handy at fixing the machines? Because the TOM where I work always has issues and constantly needs to be repaired. It is fun as heck when it works though!

#28 12 years ago

LOTR! Both are great games though.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, I am about to buy TOM and have LOTR. So different. LOTR is deep, long balls times ( sometimes! ). TOM is beautiful, full of flow and some say easy and repetitive. If you are a great player the wizard mode may be a let down with TOM whereas you will never finish LOTR! I love them both

That sums it up nicely.
I prefer TOM because I can get lost in the flow of the game. LOTR game times are too long for me, also I remember getting annoyed with it on a site where I couldn't hear it properly because at times it held onto the ball for so long. Both are masterpieces so it comes down to personal preference.

#30 12 years ago

If I was in the position to spend that kinda cash right now, I'd have to go with LOTR. I've played both, and just seems you get a lot more bang for your buck with LOTR. The way I see it, I can get a quick fix game for a lot less money. If I'm dropping good money, I'd rather spend it on something deep, with a lot more life. Seems LOTR would last longer in the home environment.

Just my 2 cents. You can't go wrong with either. Both are gorgeous examples of how awesome pinball can be.

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from Johnny:

If I'm dropping good money, I'd rather spend it on something deep, with a lot more life.

That was the reasoning I went with as well Mr. Phatsaqs!
NO quickie on this one.

#32 12 years ago

Get TOTAN!!! Oh.... That wasn't one of the options was it. Well honestly I love TOM, but not for your only pin. Go with LOTR.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.50
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 11.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-or-lotr-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.