Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Jan 2014 027.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Have option to pick one up with another game I am getting

OPINIONS ON GAME ITSELF? I have heard mixed feedback here and there. Seems to be a "strong" game like Wh20, TZ, TAF,and that family of pins in general.

Its routed but looks pretty nice and I have yet to get detailed info but from the pix if there are any probs it would be internal / mechanical (waiting for that info)

general price range ---- no mods, no LED, just a game on the floor that was played less than the modern pins

what should I ask about that is the typical issue(s) with it ... like the clock on TZ, the Trunk on POTC, the Mick on a Stick on RS, the Light saber on SWepi1 and that sort of thing.

thanks for any assistance, opinions and feedback

#2 10 years ago

Game usually gets pretty good compliments. Not an overly hard game, the rules are not super complex. Shooting the trunk is the main shot (a la shooting the ringmaster in CV, or the ship in POTC). Beautiful artwork, lots of magnets to do tricks, the trunk is a really cool toy. Sounds and dots are really nice. Mode based game, less than stellar wizard mode. Price, I would say mid-high 4k range if its fairly nice. They can go much higher if in really good shape...mods are floating around...the moving saw is a must on this game.....just need the home ROMs to work it (or tie it to the newton ball switch if you don't want to use those ROMs). Issues.....ask about the trunk. There's a trunk test mode in the options so use that. Eddy sensor can be adjusted in front of it along with the outlane sensors. I would not say its as good as TAF (one of the best classics ever) but its a solid game that I enjoy playing.

#3 10 years ago

In good condition your probably in the 4k mid to high. I got lucky on mine and got for high 3k. In saying that I've put quite a bit into the trunk mech. Play the game and hammer the trunk and check to see if it errors. If it does be prepared to put some money into that or passing. Mine has been a work in progress but after a new opto board, eddy sensors and a trunk rebuild (thanks pin k!) it's finally playing normal. It's been a week since my last error so keeping fingers crossed. If it's in great shape but the trunk errors I'd be weary of it. If you still want it talk them down because it can get quite costly.

#4 10 years ago

General price range ... 5k to 7k (with 7k being for HUO, mint). I just put my own up for sale on Craigslist here in Michigan. Hmmm ... and I need to have a pin shipped to me from Riner, VA.

detroit.craigslist.org link

#5 10 years ago

Look for wear in front of the trapdoor .

#6 10 years ago

Tom is beautiful, fast and fun.

Check that the trunk and basement eject are both working.
Both can have easy to difficult problems.

#7 10 years ago

I just sold a nice one and felt a fair price was $4,700. Mine was in nice shape with the Tiger Saw Mod. You can always find them for under $5K in nice shape if you are patient around the metro/dc area (mine took a few weeks to sell so at $4,700 it wasn't deemed a bargain by any means...fairly priced). I wouldn't pay over $5K unless it was a "real minty one" with a bunch of mods (definitely the tiger saw is a must in my opinion).

Good luck with finding one. Also, I actually paid $4,500 for the TOM I sold and the guy delivered it early in 2013 and it took him a month to find a buyer and prices were higher then. Again, Metro/DC area. Maybe prices are lower in Northern Virginia but I doubt it....LOL !!! Lots of "pinheads" in the metro/dc area and any bargains are "snatched up quickly" so I feel confident you can find a really nice one under $5K with some patience.

#8 10 years ago

Sorry, pinnaf. I thought you were talking about me. But my name isn't Tom.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from houseofpin:

I wouldn't pay over $5K unless it was a "real minty one" with a bunch of mods (definitely the tiger saw is a must in my opinion).

Huh?? I rarely ever see someone list one under 5k and when they do it's a "players game". Considering the game is ranked 11 all time, I think it's a steal at 5k. Looking at Mr Pinball Classifieds right now ... I don't see even one listed under 5k:

Theater of Magic, 1995 Bally: 5200 obo
It's almost flawless condition, super nice pinball. This pinball has always been in the top 10 pinballs of all time.
Danny, Phone: 602 626 0326
Phoenix, Arizona 85033

Posted: 11 May 2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theater of Magic, 90's Bally
Here is a totally redone electronic pinball pinball done by US fabulous fantasies. We start by stripping down the entire game, touch up were needed by our professional artists and go thru all the electronics in the game. We clean the playfield and all the ramps plus we put in new led lights, new rubbers and new flippers and bumpers. The boards are gone thru and the legs are re done with new levers and bolts. Game plays much better then new. We can ship anywhere in the US for about 450.00 into your game room with north american van lines. We can crate and ship out of the country for a extra charge. We offer a 30 day warranty in home and we take all major credit cards and PayPal or personal checks. Call or email for more info.
Herb Silvers, Phone: (818) 761-2255
West Hills, California 91307

Posted: 6 January 2014

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Theater of Magic, 95 Bally: 6200.00
Dan
Bensenville, Illinois, Chicago

Posted: 15 November 2013

Theatre of Magic, 1995 Bally: 5200
Very nice playfield, cabinet very nice except for a couple spots, fully working, and LEDs. Pics available, could deliver to ohio show in feb if paid for.
Jeff, Phone: 740-407-6261
Lancaster, Ohio 43130

Posted: 27 January 2014

Theatre of Magic, 1995 Bally: 6500
Machine is in really nice condition with almost $1000 worth of mods. Tiger saw, trap door led. Marquee mirror led, tophat with spinning card, led clock, full coin taker led sets, plastics protectors installed.
David, Phone: (571) 332-6501
Manassas, Virginia 20111

Posted: 24 October 2013

Theatre of Magic, 1995 Bally: 6,600
This game is 100% working and clean. Playfield looks great, cabinet is almost perfect and translite very nice. This game has been in my collection since 2001 and the only reason its for sale is because I found I mint HUO theatre to put in my collection.
Chad Keller, Phone: (314) 363-4790
Saint Charles, Missouri 63303

Posted: 31 August 2013

Theatre of Magic, 1995 Bally: $7790.00
Coming in friday.will guarantee Christmas delivery if ordered in time. A full restoration. Brand new cabinet graphics, led playfield conversion, and brand new mods will include: new trunk, clock tower mod, canlde flame led mod, trunk led red light mod, and trap door led mod kit! Game will be for the buyer that wants a beautifully restored game, hence the premium price. All our games are completely disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and then everything is mechanically gone through and either repaired or adjusted as needed. Games are then reassembled and all rubber rings replaced. Finally, the game will be played and fine tuned to complete the process. Many hours are spent on our games, but we do include a warranty with everything we ship just in case! We are in our 35th year in business; we're sure you'll be pleased with our work. We will exchange any game you buy from us within 30 days for 100% of purchase price towards another if you are not happy. We don't charge extra to prepare for shipping and we offer free local delivery and set up. We accept m/c.visa.
John, Phone: (719) 640-6707
Colorado Springs, Colorado 80132

Posted: 30 November 2013

Theatre of Magic, 1995 Williams: 15,900
HUO, prototype in mint condition. Pictures upon request. This is a low play machine that has red boards like all true prototypes. This is #6 produced. I can ship but prefer local pick up.
Chad Keller, Phone: (314) 363-4790
Saint Charles, Missouri 63303

Posted: 31 August 2013

Theatre of Magic, Williams: 5500
Loaded with mods. Gold tiger saw, gold marquee mirror with leds; insert, g.i. And backbox led conversion; top hat with spinning card; led clock tower; playfield plastics protectors, led trap door lighting. Playfield is in great shape. A few dings on the cabinet but almost unnoticable.no wear around truck or trap door outhole. Plays great.
David Barber, Phone: 571-332-6501
Manassas, Virginia

Posted: 6 December 2013

#10 10 years ago

List price means nothing. Call some of those guys and see if the game is sold. This is why people get burned when they go to sell. I am giving the guy good advice......trust me if the one I sold was such a bargain it would have been gone in a day....it took a lot longer then that. The one I bought in February, 2013 was being sold "right in the backyard of many pinheads".......it sat forever.....it was really nice.....the guy I bought it from had a $100K collection and was the best pinball repair guy I know (can do it all and only has nice pins and he keeps them really nice).....IT SAT FOREVER......$4,500 wasn't a bargain (well it was for me because he delivered and set it up....lol.....and I hate worrying about that so in theory that was worth $200 to me so I got it for $4,300 and sold it for $4,700 after about a year as I got tired of it.....and I didn't have to deliver it.....).

Patience is a virtue......sure you can pay $6K from a retailer....I looked at 2 from retailers both wanted well over $5K for TOM's that weren't nearly as nice as the one I bought....

This is why I was able to buy 16 pins in less then 6 months and when I downsized to 10 and sold 7 (replaced one with a MET PRO) I ended up selling the 7 I bought during the peak for a $2K profit (and I bought at the top)....my point is you buy smart and you limit your downside. You buy stupid and get ready to take AWFUL HITS as I feel prices will continue to go down.

Just bought a MET PRO HUO.....everyone who bought this pins paid well over $4K NIB plus shipping. Lets see I paid $3,700....so whats the downside.....so I sell it in a year for $3,500.....big deal I played it for a year and it cost me$200.....the guys selling it now what did it cost them by buying it NIB.....being patient is so important.

Honestly, I am LAUGHING MY A** off at the people unloading their AC/DC premiums and taking nice hits because they all want the new LUCI.....I would like a LUCI more then my AC/DC premium but I knew when I bought it I was going to keep it FOREVER and who knew the LUCI would come out.....but sometimes rather then being a "spoiled little kid" you just have to say "hey I will live with it". It is like buying a new car and the next year they make some changes to the model.....do you sell your new car for a huge loss and buy the same model.....sure you can.....but in my opinion that is not a very brilliant move.

I could land a nice TOM for under $5K within a month or less.....no doubt in my mind. Someone asking over $5K will take $4,500-$4,800 if you tell them I will be over tonight with the cash....trust me....NOT EVERYONE but there is someone that always will due to their circumstance. The one in Northern Virginia by me on your list for $5.5K I would tell him I am a buyer at $4,600 if you can't sell it and if he can't you would be surprised sometimes they just say "what the hell".....happens all the time. If not, you wait for another....patience my friend.....also, buying the "best game on the board".....i.e. there are so many fun games I want.....I just look for the "best game at the best price" and buy it.....how did I get 16 pins in less then 6 months......I would have bought an LOTR (none came up) TAF (none came up) CV (none came up) TOTAN (none came up), etc. etc.......I had a list of 30-40 pins I would have liked to have in my collection at price points I would pay.....eventually one on my list would "pop up" and I would make an offer and if accepted pick it up ASAP.....

Enough said for todays HOP rant.....LOL......this guy will land a nice TOM under $5K if he is patient.....the dog days of pinball sales are coming very soon (I learned May-October are the best times to buy and wil probably sell a couple of my pins soon so I have some open slots and buy during that time period.....sell when the market is hot and buy when it is cold....sold my 7 pins during the best time (most went as X-MAS presents....good time to sell).

#11 10 years ago

Mine gets played more than TAF or TZ. Or any other pin I have. I tend to like ACDC, TZ and TSPP better as the rules are more complex. But the flow and shots are very nice on TOM when it is dialed in. Broken parts hamper that. So condition is pretty important. But if you have a chance at one I wouldn't miss out.

#12 10 years ago

Theatre of Magic....$4686 average sale on ebay with 11 machines from Boston Pin Repair spreadsheet

#13 10 years ago

Sold my "spare" one for $4700 recently.

Still have my "main" one. Great game! Crazy fast flow, super fun toys w/ the Trunk & trap door, great music, fun modes, cool magnetic outlane saves…just an overall great experience of a game. Tournament snobs will complain about it being too easy…jaded players will complain that there's no Wiz mode. If I ever get that jaded where THIS game isn't fun - that's it, I'm done with pinball .I've never actually gotten through all the modes in one game so - it's not like the lack of a wizard mode is something that's going to ruin the overall experience for me.

Also - ColorDMD looks amazing on it.

#14 10 years ago

I agree 100% with Rarehero. It's a gem of a game.

#15 10 years ago

Just bought one from a pinsider and felt very lucky to get it (thanks, J!). It's a beautiful game that deserves all of its accolades - even nonpinheads appreciate its good looks and cool toys. I think $4500-$5500 is an acceptable price range for one and at that price it easily stands up to many more modern games, particularly in the art and flow department. Can't wait to see the color DMD in it (someday...)

#16 10 years ago

Just finished restoring mine this last weekend (still working out a unique eddy sensor issue). I love the look,flow and gameplay.

Jan 2014 027.jpgJan 2014 027.jpg

I know I posted it elsewhere, but Im very excited.
Theres a good reason why its in the top listings here and on IPD

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Game usually gets pretty good compliments. Not an overly hard game, the rules are not super complex. Shooting the trunk is the main shot (a la shooting the ringmaster in CV, or the ship in POTC). Beautiful artwork, lots of magnets to do tricks, the trunk is a really cool toy. Sounds and dots are really nice. Mode based game, less than stellar wizard mode. Price, I would say mid-high 4k range if its fairly nice. They can go much higher if in really good shape...mods are floating around...the moving saw is a must on this game.....just need the home ROMs to work it (or tie it to the newton ball switch if you don't want to use those ROMs). Issues.....ask about the trunk. There's a trunk test mode in the options so use that. Eddy sensor can be adjusted in front of it along with the outlane sensors. I would not say its as good as TAF (one of the best classics ever) but its a solid game that I enjoy playing.

Great advice and right on target. I've had mine for about 2 years or so and is always a favorite of guests.

#18 10 years ago

Unless its a CQ ToM or a project, it seems that the machine sells between 4000-4500.

I base that on what my anecdotal opinion of what they sit at and what they seem to sell at.

#19 10 years ago

TOM is a great looking game.4500-5000 seems about right.This game flows so well that it seems "easy" And yes the trunk gets hammered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-opinionsprice-range-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.