Dear Lloyd

Our resident pinball guru Lloyd Olsen answers Pinside readers questions!

Edit this
TOM Magnet Blues

Letter received on Monday October 17th 2016.

Monday October 17th 2016

Hi Lloyd:

My ToM right drain magnet is not working.

The transistor that controls the magnet is Q64 and is not blown.

I did a continuity test from the PCB to the magnet and all OK, so no broken wires. I also checked that the plugs in question were correctly connected to the PCB

The magnet is brand new and tests out the same as the left drain magnet (working OK) on my DMM.

In case it was connected somehow, I tested all the eddy sensor boards that turn on the magnets in play and they test out fine on the switch test. I also disconnected the right drain eddy board, to be sure, but nothing helps.

When I test the right drain magnet in the solenoid test, it won’t pulse but the lights dim for a fraction of a second, as if the magnet was pulsing, just like when testing the magnets that are working.

I was going to use my DMM to test the appropriate PCB pin for 50V but i’m not sure where the black DMM lead goes. I have never tested voltage before.

I can’t think of anything else to try.

Your help and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much, Lloyd.

Santini

Dear Santini

First - to test voltages - Youtube is littered with short how to videos.

The Magnet - You've checked everything. I'd suspect the ribbon cable between the cpu and power driver board.

LTG : )

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-magnet-blues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.