TOM left EOS not firing, already replaced

By harryhoudini

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Left flipper was weak and I was getting a test error with the left EOS switch not firing. It looked pretty fried and I had the parts to rehab the flipper anyhow, so I did. I am almost 100% sure I put the wires back correctly (also checked with the right EOS and it was correct) and I'm still getting no EOS in the switch test. As far as I can trace the wires they are fine, so are we looking at something further back on the main board?

Let me also note that the backbox GI isn't working on this game. I've replaced several components already on the board and still haven't resolved the issue. I don't know if it is possible I damaged anything but if this is of help I can pull up the schematics and figure out what I've replaced so far. I am pretty sure at least both triacs for the backbox (along with their diodes). I also replaced J120 and J121 as they were fried, along with the main power plug (forget which one that is). Had to do a through hole jumper on that one, oh boy. This board has had some work on it, in other words. Most was done supervised or directed by a seasoned tech so it's fairly solid. My next step on the GI was to confirm continuity between the components I replaced but I haven't pulled the board again yet. Really more concerned about the EOS.

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Look at the switch matrix in your manual. Right column is the dedicated switches. Look where left EOS goes from switch to switch. Look at other switches for a wire broken off.

Quoted from harryhoudini:

the backbox GI isn't working on this game.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look at the switch matrix in your manual. Right column is the dedicated switches. Look where left EOS goes from switch to switch. Look at other switches for a wire broken off.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#General_Illumination_Problems

AH makes sense, thanks!

#4 5 years ago

Ok, so that was good fun.. found that the wire from the left EOS was disconnected at the right EOS, soldered up and good to go. Now, one of the reasons I rebuilt was because the left flipper was weak and it still is pretty weak. It's hard to get the ball up the right ramp and it goes really slow around the orbit. What would be left after replacing the bushing, switch and coil sleeve? It would seem all that is left is the linkage and the coil. The whole thing was just pulled apart and it looked ok but I don't know how much slop should be in the linkage. From what I keep hearing is that a coil either works or doesn't. The right flipper, btw, is nice and strong.

#5 5 years ago

To add some more detail, I just adjusted the EOS switch to make sure it was in alignment, so that isn't it. I also paid close attention to the difference between left and right flippers. The right definitely has a "snap" to it and really hits hard all through the stroke. The left has significantly less snap and more of a slow "push" of the ball off the flipper. The ball rolls off the end of the flipper pretty easily since there is no snap to it.

The "piston" of the linkage didn't seem all that worn and the "end cap" didn't seem mushroomed or deformed at all.

#6 5 years ago

The EOS on a TOM is not part of the power path; as you saw, the game is fine without it. That’s not the issue.

I would move the opto flipper board and swap them from side to side and see if the weakness follows.

If it’s still weak, rule out mechanical, and then look at DC voltages.

#7 5 years ago

Thanks, I'll swap the optos

#8 5 years ago

Ok, confirmed not the optos.

When you say mechanical, do you mean the linkage? I don't mind replacing them both, just so long as it makes sense.

For DC, could you tell me which lugs to test and how? I know it's high power there so I'm leery.

#9 5 years ago

All of the parts that move.

As for testing, lots of videos on the subject. Meter set to DC. One lead on ground braid. The other lead touches each lug to measure the voltage.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks, ordered link rebuild kit and I'll test DC volts.

#11 5 years ago

So I bought and installed the rebuild kit, everything looks good even got a new flipper bat. Mech moves cleanly, sleeve is installed the right way, spring has good tension. However, the flipper still has about the same quality of flip as it did before. I can barely, if I catch it on a roll, hit the right ramp successfully (with enough power).

I searched for coil testing voltages and didn't find much on that subject.. lots on testing coils with the power off. Am I testing with the flipper depressed? I assume that is the "hold" voltage which isn't in question? So is it just a "blip" of voltage when the coil fires? I am going to play around and see what I can do, but any more info would be great.

1 week later
#12 5 years ago

Following up here, the power issues is that the wrong coils were installed by the PO. Red wrapped coils were installed whereas blue wrapped are specced.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Red wrapped coils were installed whereas blue wrapped are specced.

Always go by number, not color of wrapper.

Some of the coils out there have the wrong colors.

#14 5 years ago

Thanks for the reminder.. I just couldn't remember the numbers off the top of my head Yeah, I ordered by number in the manual.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Villa, IL
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
(Alt) Translites
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-left-eos-not-firing-already-replaced- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.