New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 109152)

TOM - Is the rolled pin necessary?

By PittPin

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fiberdude120
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I am looking at motor bushings for Theatre of Magic. I see the following two parts listed at Marco:

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-19933
and
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-5157.1

Is the rolled pin in the first link necessary? The reason I am asking is that when I was cleaning the gearbox I noticed that the pin was snapped off on my bushing. I tried drilling it out with no luck. I went to look for a replacement part and found the two at the links above. Marco says the only difference is the rolled pin ($21+ difference in price????). If the rolled pin is needed does anyone know what size and where to get one? Since only the second link is in stock I am going to order that and see what happens. Anyone had to deal with this bushing and the pin? Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

Don't know size but a good hardware store should have an assortment of sizes.

#3 5 years ago

The pin stops the trunk from rotating so it can only go to a certain point on each direction. It's necessary. The game software is very touchy on this trunk so if anything is wrong it wknt work reliably at.

#4 5 years ago

My game is on location, I had the trunk turn too far and twist the wires and break them. When this happened it sent the magnet voltage into the lamp matrix and took out a resistor on the PDB. If I had the roll pin installed, this wouldn't have happened and it would have saved me a lot of headaches of removing the trunk, rebuilding the harness, troubleshooting and replacing the resistor.

#5 5 years ago

I used a .093 extractor tool for the connector to the magnet. Do you know what the size of the smaller pin going to the green light are? When I cleaned the gearbox I unsoldered the light, but it would be easier to extract the pins from the connector and just pull the tube up through the trunk.
My choices look like .062 or .156 (I am not to up on Molexology). Anyone know where to get them other than at Marco prices?
While I am waiting for a new bushing I'll search out an extractor tool. Then find that rolled stop pin.
Thanks for the feedback.

#6 5 years ago

Ace Hardware has Roll Pins in various sizes & lengths.

McMaster-Carr has a lot more various sizes & lengths than Ace.

Best of luck!

Pin - Kim
www.KimballsPinballs.com

#7 5 years ago

Amazon has a molex extractor for the .093 & .062 pin for less than six bucks with free shipping.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Out-West:

Amazon has a molex extractor for the .093 & .062 pin for less than six bucks with free shipping.

I believe Radio Shack has them also. I don't know what the price is.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside