• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1713 (resized).JPG
IMG_1716 (resized).JPG
2019-01-24 07_39_29-Williams WPC - PinWiki - Internet Explorer (resized).png
2019-01-24 06_50_38-https___www.ipdb.org_files_2845_Bally_1995_Theatre_of_Magic_Manual.pdf - Interne (resized).png
2019-01-24 06_49_54-https___www.ipdb.org_files_2845_Bally_1995_Theatre_of_Magic_Manual.pdf - Interne (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I just had random restarts on my TAF which likely ended up being a combination of some trace issues on the board and possibly ground issues with the LM323K.

The TOM is different.. it now resets itself almost immediately after starting a game and will continue to do so now (it started off much less) almost every game. I was wondering, while I am going to follow the pinwiki guide, if there was anything that this might indicate more than the other. I'll be testing 5v power this afternoon and BR2, those are two off the top of my head.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

How old are the 15000uf caps? If original id replace them.

Probably original. I was under the impression these were sort of "last resort" with how hard it is to remove them cleanly leaving the through hole.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Any improvement if you reseat J101, J102, J114 on the driver board and the J210 on the MPU?
J101 tends to burn or tarnish the 2 red pins (5volts in from the transformer).

I'll test that out. The board has been in and out of the game to solve some backbox GI issues. Connector J101 I think (left side, bottom of the board) was burnt up as well as J120 or J121. Replaced those and their headers. So plugs have been in and out but I'll reseat them all.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

They're over 20 years old, so I disagree. As for damaging board, fair point...pretty easy to remove with a decent desolder station, though. I just had one fail and short and burned a hole through the board...and it was flat as a board on top.

Is there anything but a $300 Hakko that works for this?

#31 5 years ago

I speak from experience too I just replaced C5 and the LM323K on my TAF board. Luckily I was borrowing a Hakko desoldering gun and had an experienced board tech with me to help. The cap was *hairy* to replace. Sadly, don't have those tools now so looking at getting my own and considering what to replace. Going to reseat those connectors with my fingers crossed.

#34 5 years ago

Long story, but I ended up getting the PSU5 and finding out that it wasn't the issue (so swapped back in the LM323K). Had some trace issues on the board that was preventing the LM323K from grounding.. among other issues.

#35 5 years ago

Reseated and same issue. J101 has some brown burn on the 9v side so it looks like that is due for replacement. I already replaced J114. The board was TOAST there and had to put in a stitch and replace the header. Been working fine for a while like that, so I think that repair is fine.

I have the PSU5 still but no caps. Should I look at replacing the LM323K?

#39 5 years ago

Thanks, haven't measured voltage yet. I will check 5v and am placing an order from great plains for some more connectors.

#41 5 years ago

$260 + ... other tip... drill bit... stand..

That's the one I've used... it's realllllly nice.

#42 5 years ago

So all of the test points on the driver board are good except the 5v (surprise), reading 4.86 which I am going to guess is really darn close to whatever limit the system needs. I also noticed C5 was domed a bit, so based on what I've heard the LM323K doesn't really go bad much, suspect the C5 first?

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I expect this since you still have the damaged J101 pins/red wires coming in from the transformer.
Yes, it is too low.

I'd say the damage is minimal... really more the yellow/brown on the outside/end of the connector itself but the pins look fine. But I'll replace it first since it sounds like it needs to be replaced either way.

#48 5 years ago

Thanks PinballManiac40 going to get my order placed at Great Plains

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I'm sure its not ... I would be much more interested in the 5VDC reading on the CPU board than any other measurement as this will tell you both the CPUs operating voltage, as well as the voltage loss from the PDB, as it's the voltage difference measured between this point and the +5V TP on the PDB.[quoted image]

Are there test points on the CPU? Not sure I can see what you're testing in the image there.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is measured across C31 the red and black test clips, the large capacitor on the CPU board, one side is your 5V source through the Inductor, the other side is ground. [quoted image]

Thanks, I'll test it out

#57 5 years ago

Aside from C2 and C5 (and the LM323K, which I have a PSU5 already for) is there anything else I should order while I'm ordering those parts (and some headers/plugs)? I have some BR2 in my cart as well, already replaced them on my TAF and figure it might be needed here.

#59 5 years ago

HA, I didn't even see that before. I ordered 20 to be safe.

Sadly... I have a bunch of individual LEDs from various projects, mostly failed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harryhoudini.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-instant-restarts-?tu=harryhoudini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.