5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

TOM Eddy Sensor reference (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I read about adjusting the eddy sensor on the trunk and performed that operation on both of the hocus pocus magnets as they did not appear to be working. One of them was finicky about the light going off during the adjustment, but eventually the both did. I wanted to test them so I hit the hocus pocus target and ran the ball over the magnet (on the playfield) and nothing happened. I noticed if I shorted the potentiometer on the sensor boards it would trigger. Is the magnet itself the actual sensor as well? Is there something I am missing when trying to test this?

As a follow-up I noticed that the front-left of the trunk (facing it) has a dead spot right on the corner of the trunk. I think the metal post there should have a rubber on it (mine does not) so that might be the solution but even after adjusting the eddy sensor this exists. Is that normal?

#2 5 years ago

Post is missing the rubber so it doesn't jam the trunk.

Magnet isn't the eddy sensor. The eddy sensor is different.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Post is missing the rubber so it doesn't jam the trunk.
Magnet isn't the eddy sensor. The eddy sensor is different.
LTG : )

Weird.. I'll take another look. I noticed the trunk eddy sensor but didn't see anything in-front of the magic wand area for the ball save.

One other thing I did notice, and this may be due to the weird function of the one sensor, is that the magnet(s) (not sure which one) will trigger inadvertently around the time you do actually trigger the Hocus Pocus. The ball won't be near the wand area, just hitting the drop targets, and I can hear the magnet(s) come on. It seems like the potentiometer or some other part of the one board is wacky and I've read about them needing replacements, so maybe that is needed but I still can't trigger them. Is it as simple as putting the ball near the wand area or does it need to be moving with some velocity perhaps?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Is the magnet itself the actual sensor as well? Is there something I am missing when trying to test this?

The eddy sensor has its own induction circuit, any metal object entering this induction field causes a measurable change in current flow. This change in current is what is monitored by the IC with the threshold set by the adjustable resistor. ToM uses 2 types of eddy boards, while these boards look nearly identical, they are NOT interchangeable.

TOM Eddy Sensor reference (resized).jpgTOM Eddy Sensor reference (resized).jpg

You may want to verify you have the right parts in the right places, if your problems persist you may have a connection issue with the actual sensor; many people remove this 2 pin connection and solder the inductor directly to the board...while I personally don't like it, this may be an option as new boards are expensive and are becoming difficult to obtain.

Side note: I do repair the original sensor boards, if interested send me a PM.

PS: I also have one last NOS Box hit sensor (A-18543-2) stashed away for a rainy day...

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

You may want to verify you have the right parts in the right places, if your problems persist you may have a connection issue with the actual sensor; many people remove this 2 pin connection and solder the inductor directly to the board...while I personally don't like it, this may be an option as new boards are expensive and are becoming difficult to obtain.
Side note: I do repair the original sensor boards, if interested send me a PM.
PS: I also have one last NOS Box hit sensor (A-18543-2) stashed away for a rainy day...

Thank you! I will do some verification and check connections. If the magnet(s) do fire (at some point) especially by shorting the potentiometer then we know those are good and the control board to the magnet is good, yea? So it may just be the sensor board(s) needing repair/replace, it sounds like. I'll do some investigating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 11.95
$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-hocus-pocus-eddy-sensor-function and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.