Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Leechman
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I recently purchased a tom machine and decided to shop it out. After I put everything back together it looked great but now has an error "ground short rows 1 and 7". I figured that means there is a ground wire touching something it should'nt but I can't seem to find anything that looks like it could be the problem. I am relatively new to the hobby but am perfectly comfortable tearing things apart to try to find the problem. Could this be a board issue or is it most likely something with playfield wiring somewhere? I have never messed with the boards but not afraid to try..just not sure where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Also, since I am kind of new to the hobby I'm assuming getting hooked on buying machines and fixing them up is normal. But how many machines can you buy with the excuse to friends and family that it's a "great investment" before they realise I have a problem? I have everyone fooled at the moment, lol!!

Thanks again,
Phil

#2 10 years ago

I would say it is a cpu problem . Just pull the green and white connectors for switches at the bottom of the cpu
if the error stays your board is broken .

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from wellarmed:

I would say it is a cpu problem . Just pull the green and white connectors for switches at the bottom of the cpu
if the error stays your board is broken .

Thanks wellarmed I'll check it out when I get home

#4 10 years ago

Any other suggestions?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Also, since I am kind of new to the hobby I'm assuming getting hooked on buying machines and fixing them up is normal. But how many machines can you buy with the excuse to friends and family that it's a "great investment" before they realise I have a problem? I have everyone fooled at the moment, lol!!
Thanks again,
Phil

Phil, my name is Phil too and I am even newer to the hobby. I just got a TOM but sorry I'd be no help to you, although I did figure out how to fix the trunk via "trunk test" when it stops rotating.

But, regarding your comments above, that is me too! I am really pushing it with my wife as I bought my first 4 (all "A List" games) within 2 months and I can't stop! Yes, we have problems brother

#6 10 years ago

Yes, I find myself looking for my next one while I'm shopping out the one I just bought. I find myself thinking about putting a second addition on my house for more machines....but still seems like a good idea somehow ..

Your right I may have a problem

PS. Just buy your wife a WOZ and everything will be fine...it worked for me anyway

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

PS. Just buy your wife a WOZ and everything will be fine...it worked for me anyway

Unfortunately, I can not get her interested at all. The most I've gotten her to play are 2 balls on our Tron then she went back upstairs. That was a good suggestion though.

#8 10 years ago

Just make sure under the playfield that no wires are touching each other.

#9 10 years ago

Also what ever you do... Don't sell that your family enjoys ever thou your getting a good price. I did that with a Flintstones pin almost 2 years ago and I am still hearing about it... Also try to avoid muitiple trade with other stuff out side pinball.. It just gets to confusing and leaves you to wonder who got the better deal.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

Just make sure under the playfield that no wires are touching each other.

Ya I've checked over and over under there and can't seem to find anything wrong. I'm sure it is something simple if I can just find it.

Thank you

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MNpinballplayer:

Also what ever you do... Don't sell that your family enjoys ever thou your getting a good price. I did that with a Flintstones pin almost 2 years ago and I am still hearing about it... Also try to avoid muitiple trade with other stuff out side pinball.. It just gets to confusing and leaves you to wonder who got the better deal.

Ya that's good advice, I did that recently and got completely hosed on the deal...be careful who you deal with sometimes

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-ground-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.