A5985EFC-A73A-4B76-A120-D5A4E1CE3DA2 (resized).png
ToM Scam 4.5.18 (resized).JPG
ToM Scam 4.5.18 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_20180405-134432 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180405-133304 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180405-131317 (resized).png
Screenshot_20180405-131013 (resized).png
TOM (resized).JPG
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

ebay.com link: Theatre of Magic Pinball Machine

The seller is selling for a relative and has in the description to buy it now not through eBay.

Scam?

TOM (resized).JPGTOM (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Scam.
Never reply to a gmail e-mail embedded in the E-bay listing.

#3 6 years ago

Red flags:

"I am overseas in the military"
"Item is in a different location"
The item is referred to as "the item"
Scammer signs off with "God Bless"

Just some of the more common ones I've seen.

#4 6 years ago

Free shipping is kind of cool.

#5 6 years ago

bid is at $305. OOohhhh the suspense!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Free shipping is kind of cool.

FedEx no less. Overnite delivery?

Only the best!

#7 6 years ago

I wonder if they will let someone do local pickup and pay cash? I'm tempted to email them to see what the response would be.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

I wonder if they will let someone do local pickup and pay cash? I'm tempted to email them to see what the response would be.

You could simply ask if you could see the machine in person. This will weed out scam vs. legit pretty quickly (not that any of the rest of it doesn't)

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

I wonder if they will let someone do local pickup and pay cash?

I thought of that. Freehold is only about an hour from where I am. I'm tempted to say I'm local and can come see it in person. I can pretty much guarantee that won't work for them though... Everything screams scam on this one. Story about how he's moving and selling the collection, then later goes "I'm actually selling this for a relative" in a poorly made photo of text...

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

I wonder if they will let someone do local pickup and pay cash?

I'd rather take advantage of that "free shipping".

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I thought of that. Freehold is only about an hour from where I am. I'm tempted to say I'm local and can come see it in person. I can pretty much guarantee that won't work for them though... Everything screams scam on this one. Story about how he's moving and selling the collection, then later goes "I'm actually selling this for a relative" in a poorly made photo of text...

He would just give you the run around about how he’s too busy to meet.

I’ve been through this exercise with one of the Mr Pinball scammers.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

They'll say no because it is a scam.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Use caution.

I actually tried that one time on a "best offer" listing I replied to.
I knew the listing was fake because I had seen the pictures in the description before. Of course the seller wanted me to wire the money -- told him Id only do a cash in person offer even though he was several states away (this was for a vehicle). At one point I actually talked to the guy on the phone (before E-bay banned phone numbers) and could clearly tell he had no clue as to what he was selling/listing. Eventually he gave me an address to meet up -- looked it up on Google Earth and it was in a neighborhood I would not want to get lost in. Only when I asked the seller to write my name on a piece of paper and take/send me a picture of that on the vehicle of interest did he start to get short/told me I was questioning his integrity and backed out of the deal.

The temptation of a really good deal will often make us blind to common sense red flags in a scam situation.

#14 6 years ago

Looks like its mine for 3050.00$
With free shipping....

Unless someone else bids...

#15 6 years ago

Current bid:US $3,050.00

Doubt they would take $3K for it now!

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

With free shipping....

I'll be waiting to see a new thread on "Got Scammed on Ebay"

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

With free shipping....

Hope I didn't blow up your deal, just reported the scam to eBay. They probably don't care that it's a scam, but the fact that they're soliciting a sale outside of eBay will get them banned ASAP.

#18 6 years ago

100% scam. Buy with confidence.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Hope I didn't blow up your deal, just reported the scam to eBay. They probably don't care that it's a scam, but the fact that they're trying to complete a sale outside of eBay will get them banned ASAP.

damn...I just made space in the game room for it

#20 6 years ago

Nice feedback by the seller. Seller feedback, 0

#21 6 years ago

Sent an email:
Hello,
I saw your ad on eBay for the Theater of Magic pinball, great game!

Are you in NJ? Would it be possible to come look at the machine and possibly pay the $3,000 in cash?

Thank you,

She responded within 1 minute!:

Thank you for your email. It is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad $3000 with free shipping. It is in perfect working condition, no problems at all. I will offer a 14 days inspection period for the item, so if by any reason you are not satisfied with it, you can return it and receive a full refund.
If you have the funds available and ready to buy it, please reply with your full name, shipping address and eBay username so i can register the transaction through eBay so we can both be protected and be able to exchange feedback once the transaction is complete.

Thank you

#22 6 years ago

Doh'
I just got out bid

#23 6 years ago

That style of listing has been showing up on ebay for several weeks now. One or two appear, last a day or so, then eBay shuts 'em down.
Of note are MSFrankenstein,
and a Blackhole.
Buyer beware as they say.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Sent an email:
Hello,
Are you in NJ? Would it be possible to come look at the machine and possibly pay the $3,000 in cash?
Thank you,
Thank you for your email. It is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad $3000 with free shipping. It is in perfect working condition, no problems at all. I will offer a 14 days inspection period for the item, so if by any reason you are not satisfied with it, you can return it and receive a full refund.
If you have the funds available and ready to buy it, please reply with your full name, shipping address and eBay username so i can register the transaction through eBay so we can both be protected and be able to exchange feedback once the transaction is complete.
Thank you

Sounds legit. eBay is always happy to register and insure sales made outside of eBay.

#25 6 years ago

I had to see...

Screenshot_20180405-131013 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180405-131013 (resized).png

#26 6 years ago

Lets see if I get another reply....

Screenshot_20180405-131317 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180405-131317 (resized).png

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Sent an email:
Hello,
Thank you,
Thank you

Quoted from Strummy:

I had to see...

Write back and ask if room and board is included with the 14 day inspection period.

#28 6 years ago

Everyone is getting the same response. I asked how the buy it now registration works but he/she hasn't replied yet.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

Sent an email:
Hello,
Thank you,
Thank you

These deadbeats never give up,That's a very clever response "so we can both be protected".That's the reason most old folks fall for,these scammers gain a person trust.I hope they rot in hell!!!

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from CollinT:

I asked how the buy it now registration works but he/she hasn't replied yet.

Can't use the "buy it now" option now anyways. See these types of ads all the time. Don't waste your time people..........

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Can't use the "buy it now" option anyways. See these types of ads all the time. Don't waste your time people..........

I'm sick in bed. I might as well fuck with a douche bag.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

These deadbeats never give up,That's a very clever response "so we can both be protected".That's the reason most old folks fall for,these scammers gain a person trust.I hope they rot in hell!!!

“So we can both be protected”
That’s what I tell the ladies when it’s business time and I pull out a condom!

#33 6 years ago

I reported the auction to ebay for listing policy violation. "offers to contact outside of ebay." We'll see if/what they do. Reverse email search comes back with nothing. Reverse image search comes back with nothing.

#34 6 years ago

Screenshot_20180405-133304 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180405-133304 (resized).png

#35 6 years ago

Auction ends Sunday but Monday is OK with her. Got it

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Auction ends Sunday but Monday is OK with her. Got it

"Monday its ok?"

#37 6 years ago

"Tell me why I don't like Mondays..."

#38 6 years ago

Hope i get a reply to this one

Screenshot_20180405-134432 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180405-134432 (resized).png

#39 6 years ago

Here is the "invoice" she sent me this morning when I reached out to

ToM Scam 4.5.18 (resized).JPGToM Scam 4.5.18 (resized).JPG

ToM Scam 4.5.18 (resized).JPGToM Scam 4.5.18 (resized).JPG

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

Here is the "invoice" she sent me this morning when I reached out to her.

Payment: Ebay Gift Cards? No other type of payment options? Hilarious

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Scam.
Never reply to a gmail e-mail embedded in the E-bay listing.

Anytime you see an image of some text it's being done to avoid being flagged by the system. Ebay and Craigslist both run some rudimentary checks on their ads, I'm sure other systems do too.

#42 6 years ago

Aaaand its gone...

#43 6 years ago

A5985EFC-A73A-4B76-A120-D5A4E1CE3DA2 (resized).pngA5985EFC-A73A-4B76-A120-D5A4E1CE3DA2 (resized).png

#44 6 years ago

Is that a pic of the guy who’s going into the hydrofoil business?
He did so well with manufacturing pinball machines.
Where do I send my money?!!

#45 6 years ago

To be honest, it does say Theater of Magic Pinball and Machine. So maybe it is just an old pinball out of a Theater of Magic pin and some mystery machine that could be anything. By that title they could say it was never a scam, they listed it honestly!

#46 6 years ago

pinball (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpg

scooby-doo-mystery-machine-biplane-giveaway-1 (resized).jpgscooby-doo-mystery-machine-biplane-giveaway-1 (resized).jpg

#47 6 years ago

Luckily we know better.

Sadly these ads must work from time to time -- otherwise they would not keep popping up.

I wish these people would put as much effort into being productive in a positive way vs. trying to steal from others -- but then again where is the reward in that?

I imagine the feeling they get from successfully scamming someone is similar to what we feel when we bring a new pinball machine home.

#48 6 years ago

I did a property lookup of 866 Colts Neck (not Reck) Road through the Monmouth county tax info site. I will not name the actual names here suffice to say that a quick internet search revealed the 62 year old husband to be deceased as of 2016 and the wife alive and on Facebook. My guess is the house is now a scammer infested rental.

#49 6 years ago

Holee crap, great work Underspin

We need to send someone out there and live stream on twitch

#50 6 years ago

Kinda disappointed the last name wasn't really Bucakley.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-ebay-scam-buy-it-now-3k?hl=buju and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.