Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Brijam
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I couldn't get the trough coil to fire on my Theatre of Magic. Swapping in a different driver board didn't fix the issue. The coil looked okay but I ohm'ed it and it read zero, so I'm guessing that's a toasted coil, or more likely a broken wire on the coil? It's an AE-26-1500 and there aren't diodes on it.

Question before I swap that coil out, are there upstream issues I should look at so I don't just cook another coil?

#2 5 years ago

I'd take a pin or something and dig around the thin wires from the coil to the coil lug. If one is cracked or broke, solder it.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

A coil is wound wire that will read very low ohms. Pretty hard to tell a bad coil from an ohm meter reading unless it reads open. If the coil is actually shorted, which is doubtful unless it's melted, most the time the drive transistor is also bad.
Go into solenoid test, select this solenoid, then check the volts. During test should read 50-75vdc on one lug of the coil all the time, and the other lug drops low as the game attempts to fire the coil.

1 week later
#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Ronkz650:

A coil is wound wire that will read very low ohms. Pretty hard to tell a bad coil from an ohm meter reading unless it reads open. If the coil is actually shorted, which is doubtful unless it's melted, most the time the drive transistor is also bad.
Go into solenoid test, select this solenoid, then check the volts. During test should read 50-75vdc on one lug of the coil all the time, and the other lug drops low as the game attempts to fire the coil.

All of the solenoids are reading more like 25vdc. I didn't close the coin door or hold the switches down.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

All of the solenoids are reading more like 25vdc. I didn't close the coin door or hold the switches down.

Coils normally will not operate from the diagnostic menu if the coin door is open or if the plunger to detect the door being closed is not pulled out.

2 months later
#6 4 years ago

Swapping for a new coil fixed the issue.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
$ 11.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Manteca, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-dead-trough-coil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.