3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

I'm working on a Theatre of Magic that has just been a nightmare. I've spent weeks cleaning up and undoing hacks. It finally works with one exception.
Fuse F104 keeps blowing. The manual says it is for coils 9-16, but that is not right. It is coils 1-8. I have a 3 amp circuit breaker on it atm and it SEEMS to be popping when it is locking balls in the subway. I have tested the coils, everything seems good. I have run each coil on an extending repeating test, individually, for 5 minutes each. Breaker never pops, unless I am playing the game. Will not pop in test mode.

Any one have any thoughts on this one?
Thanks,
Randy

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Fuse F104 keeps blowing. The manual says it is for coils 9-16, but that is not right. It is coils 1-8.

Have you tested coil 14 (Trapdoor Hold)?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

If that's not it, flip over or swap out the ribbon cable between the CPU and PDB this is fast and easy.

#4 3 years ago

Did flipping over the ribbon cable change anything?

#5 3 years ago

Can you post a picture of all the boards in the backbox with the wiring and ribbon cables plugged in?

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Fuse F104 keeps blowing.

is the trap door coil original? I had to put in a stronger one since I replaced my broken assembly with a mantis one. Had a fuse pop periodically like once or twice a game. The coils individually didn't blow the fuse.

#7 3 years ago

Ok, flipping the ribbon cable has made no change. All the coils ohm out ok, wires seem good and secure. Grounding each coil will make it fire.

I’ve noticed this, when you lock the first ball in the magic box, it kicks out two balls into the trough. Then when you lock the second ball it registers that. Locking the third ball, does nothing. But with the balls in the subway in the switch level test, I see lock 1,2 and 3 activated.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I’ve noticed this, when you lock the first ball in the magic box, it kicks out two balls into the trough. Then when you lock the second ball it registers that. Locking the third ball, does nothing. But with the balls in the subway in the switch level test, I see lock 1,2 and 3 activated.

those switches underneath can be flaky sometimes. Pretty sure it has to hit another switch on the plastic subway first before it registers one of three lock switches. The lock switches can also be a headache to get adjusted right. Not sure how the two issues could be related unless one of the coils on that circuit are firing off more because of it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-blowing-f104 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.