Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by tracelifter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

TOM.jpg
DSCN0293.JPG
DSCN0296.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I recently purchased Theatre of Magic in really good shape, but half the backbox lights won't come on. Actually none of them worked, but I found a two pin connector that was shorted, fixed that and half the lights came on. On what I think is the motherboard (at least the board with the Motorola processor on it), the middle of the three stacked red led's on the left hand side blinks rapidly, D-20. The bottom one glows solid, the top one D-19 is not lit. There is a row of red mini switches under that, all are switched to the down (on?) position except for the first two--which I think are labeled W11 and W12.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

DSCN0296.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Forget your CPU. Your backbox lights ar GI - lower left area of power driver board. AC in from transformer and AC out to GI lines.

GI fuses are right there too, you can see a few of them in your picture.

Pull and check fuses with a meter. Check transformer connector for burn. Check GI connector on power driver board for burn too. The line in looks good.

If the connector out to the back box lights is burned you'll need to replace it and the pins on the board.

If no burn, and it does look like the connector was replaced - lower right corner of your picture. Then check it for new burn, and the pins for burn or discoloration.

And if the pins were replaced, people often don't check them with a meter. From the pin onto the board away from the repair area. Easy to lose through board or across board continuity - which is easily checked and fixed if need be.

Not much to this, a little digging should sort out your problem.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Incidently you mention two pin connector - GI connectors are 11 pins - so you should fix this right - new connector and pins.

Ed has what you need - http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/ tools, pins, connectors. You'll need size .156

#4 6 years ago

The CPU most likely has nothing to do with it. Remove and test Fuses F106 - F110 . Replace as needed!

Inspect J115 - J120 and J121 for burnt connectors and wires.

Most likely the problem is in the area mentioned above on the Solenoid Driver Board.

Chances are the problem is not on the board you mentioned with the LED lights (CPU)

#5 6 years ago

You need to get that corroded battery holder off the board ASAP!

#6 6 years ago

General Illumination (GI) lights most of the times don't work because of bad connectors. Check the J115, J120 and J121. If they are burned, change them.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from sneljo82:

General Illumination (GI) lights most of the times don't work because of bad connectors. Check the J115, J120 and J121. If they are burned, change them.

If you click on the pic and blow it up you can see the edge on the right where the IDC was replaced with a Molex and it looks like the wire was soldered to the female pins.
The male pins were probably not replaced and the molex is cooked.

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for all of your replies! I have a minimal understanding of electronics, but my brother will be able to help me with this. A couple of photos--if you could point me to specific areas of the photos where you have concerns that would help a lot. You can see in the one photo of the lower left area where something toasted and work has been done. I replaced the 2 pin that was fried which brought back half the backbox lights.

If I need board repair, where should I send it (them)?

Thanks,
Billy DSCN0293.JPG TOM.jpg

#9 6 years ago

You may just need new connector blocks. I would start there. If the pins are on the board are bad replace as well. I would say that is definitely why your backbox lights are out.

Todd

#10 6 years ago

You need new connectors and pins @ J-120 and J-121.
You will need a tech to do the repairs, you could send the board out but you will still need to replace the connectors.
Looks like there is also a wire soldered to a pin, that header and connector will also need to be replaced.
You also need a battery holder.

Where are you located?
There are quite a few Pinsiders that can do these repairs.

#11 6 years ago

I would be more then happy to help you with the repair!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

If I need board repair, where should I send it (them)?

http://lockwhenlit.com/ Rob Anthony posts here and cam fix the boards.

As I said in my earlier post your two GI connectors are 11 pin connectors. You need to clean that mess up. New connectors and new pins on the board.

Someone did a hack repair and it's come back to haunt you.

My earlier post has Ed at Great Plains website where you can order parts.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I recently purchased Theatre of Magic in really good shape, but half the backbox lights won't come on. Actually none of them worked, but I found a two pin connector that was shorted, fixed that and half the lights came on. On what I think is the motherboard (at least the board with the Motorola processor on it), the middle of the three stacked red led's on the left hand side blinks rapidly, D-20. The bottom one glows solid, the top one D-19 is not lit. There is a row of red mini switches under that, all are switched to the down (on?) position except for the first two--which I think are labeled W11 and W12.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Where are you?

RM

#14 6 years ago

The opposite coast from you, and more south!

B16

#15 6 years ago

Bugger.

Any competent pinball tech can fix this stuff for you.

Try to see if anyone is near you and can come out to your place and help.

RM

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

You need new connectors and pins @ J-120 and J-121.
You will need a tech to do the repairs, you could send the board out but you will still need to replace the connectors.
Looks like there is also a wire soldered to a pin, that header and connector will also need to be replaced.
You also need a battery holder.
Where are you located?
There are quite a few Pinsiders that can do these repairs.

Thanks for the reply. I'm down the 15 from you about 1.5 hours in SD. Any suggestions for a tech?

Billy

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from RussMyers:

Bugger.
Any competent pinball tech can fix this stuff for you.
Try to see if anyone is near you and can come out to your place and help.
RM

Therein lies my problem. I think the local "pinball guru" is the guy who butchered this in the first place (at least putting 2 + 2 together from what the previous owner told me).

B16

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Thanks for the reply. I'm down the 15 from you about 1.5 hours in SD. Any suggestions for a tech?
Billy

Well if you want to load it up and come on up I will repair it for the cost of the parts and you buy the pizza, I have everything in stock.
The pindoc would do it but he would want road time one way + the service call, he lives near me over in Crestline.

#19 6 years ago

TL, if this thing wasn't down a set of stairs I'd take you up on that! How about you come on down for some sun, gas money, good Mexican and 2 passes to the Zoo? : )

B16

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

TL, if this thing wasn't down a set of stairs I'd take you up on that! How about you come on down for some sun, gas money, good Mexican and 2 passes to the Zoo? : )
B16

I could do that, PM me so we can set up a time.

#21 6 years ago

Cool, PM sent.

#22 6 years ago

This is just another terrific example of what a great community Pinside is. Glad to have discovered it.

#23 6 years ago

TL, great meeting you today, and thanks so much for all your help!

B16

#24 6 years ago

You are welcome, thanks for helping Josh with his bike and the neon for his collection.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside