Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by adii
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My TOM has been acting up lately and I'm about out of ideas. My trunk tests fine, but it goes to the wrong position for multiball. Also, it will randomly give me credit for locking the first ball. The second ball locks fine but it won't start multiball like it's supposed to (even though that guy says MULTIBALLLLLL).

Recently I had display issues that turned out to be U4 on the MPU. Removing and reseating fixed the issue.

So far, I've replaced all the ribbon cables, added the aluminum opto-interruptor, taken the trunk apart, cleaned, reassembled, removed and re-seated all associated connectors under the playfield and on the boards, re-seated the ASIC. I've also replaced the game and sound ROMs. The only thing left I can think of is having the MPU rebuilt.

Please help!

#2 5 years ago

.....and I re-flowed every flipping pin on the driver board.

#3 5 years ago

Sounds like at least one issue is that the opto on the trunk base entrance is acting up. I would reflow or otherwise replace the opto pair there.

#4 5 years ago

Opto interrupter under the trunk loose ? set screw can break the plastic collar.

LTG : )

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Opto interrupter under the trunk loose ? set screw can break the plastic collar.
LTG : )

Yes, it was broken. However I installed the metal one, it worked for just a game or two and started acting up again. I checked the board and it’s tight, but that sure would make sense. I disabled the trunk motor and played a couple games and the game was fine. Seems like it’s something to do with the trunk.

This is a HUO game. It’s got some plays on it but not a ton.

#6 5 years ago

To be clear I changed the opto-interruptor before I posted. It’s still acting up. I just tried a game with the trunk enabled and nothing has changed. Even though it tests fine, maybe a new trunk opto board?

4 weeks later
#7 5 years ago

Turned out subway opto #36 had become misaligned and was closing randomly when the game was moved or solenoids fired.

The other issues were the ASIC chip. I bought a NOS one from Pinball Life and that took care of all the other crazy issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-acting-crazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.