(Topic ID: 274790)

TOM 2 weeks of diagnostic/repair hell

By WesleyCowan

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Was in the middle of a game recently playing TOM which has been reliable in 3 years of ownership. Everything working great and then suddenly the game turned completely off. It was as if someone had unplugged it not the annoying classic flipper reset at all. Game went completely off and didn't turn back on. I literally thought the dog might have been wondering past and accidentally bumped the power chord. Checked chord was in outlet tight and back of game, not loose or out. Turned out the inline fuse under the playfield had blown, I have no idea why.
lt will turn on, all lights, displays etc work and start a game but switches row 5 and column 2 switches will not work. So no in or outlanes and any switches with the row and columns mentioned. However don't get ground short error messages when game is turned on. If I disconnect one connector on the opto 7 board under the playfield almost all of the switches on row five work but not the any in or outlanes which is also a part of column 2.
I have checked all the fuses pulling them out an using a dmm, relevant connectors for good connection and replaced ULN 2803 on the CPU. Used a DMM and checked diodes on switches and have been over and over looking for any lose, cut, or misplaced wires or solder that got somewhere causing a short. Had done no work on the game prior to this all happening where I might have screwed up a repair.
I wonder if somehow a chip on the 7 opto board and another chip or component on either the CPU or driver board died. Also noticed last night in switch edges test the popper soldenoid is activing any time I push on or both flipper buttons. I've read lots or artciles recently about shorts, switches rows and matrixes. Still have mad NO progress at all.

Would please apreciate suggestions on what else to try.

#2 3 years ago

First thing I would do is isolate where the problem is, CPU or playfield. Have you looked at pinwiki:

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Switch_Matrix_Problems

#3 3 years ago

Yes and on pin 2 where it should be switch 25 it's 35 abd then 3 is also 35. Other than that as far as I can tell it tested normally in that test.

#4 3 years ago

Did you check some basics at first? Check for corrosion from batteries? Or are they off board? Check connectors on the boards? Any look yellowed or burnt?

When you say suddenly game turned off, what was the last action that happened? Not necessarily but often triggered by something that happened.

Quoted from WesleyCowan:

Yes and on pin 2 where it should be switch 25 it's 35 abd then 3 is also 35. Other than that as far as I can tell it tested normally in that test.

You need to follow the switch matrix table yourself and make sure each and every one responds during test. If the ones that were out when the playfield was connected are registering properly, you know the problem is on the playfield. If that's the case, I'd disconnect that suspect row and column and add one switch back in at a time and keep testing them until there's a problem. The intersecting row/column 5,2 is an obvious suspect, might remove just that one first to see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
$ 11.95
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tom-2-weeks-of-diagnostic-repair-hell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.