loveisabattlefield (resized).jpg
IMG_1255 (resized).JPG
IMG_1254 (resized).JPG
0d63e44e72f8414e82e372fe7f5a2332--jasmin-villegas-gothic-girls (resized).jpg
IMG_1686 (resized).PNG
IMG_0870 (resized).JPG
IMG_1131 (resized).JPG
IMG_0871 (resized).JPG

There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

LOTR by a mile.

A year ago in this thread I said LOTR, then if Hobbit gets great, switch over. But Hobbit never reached the heights of LOTR. It's a good game, but LOTR is great. When comparing, go for the best.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

LOTR by a mile.
A year ago in this thread I said LOTR, then if Hobbit gets great, switch over. But Hobbit never reached the heights of LOTR. It's a good game, but LOTR is great. When comparing, go for the best.

But...Hobbits not done yet

I give the edge to LOTR as well, but for me I have played LOTR so much and so long I am digging the new Hobbit (for now). Really like the code that Keith has in the hobbit so far. I do wish he had a bit more to work with on the PF regarding shots - but all in all a fun game to shoot.

#53 6 years ago

just like the movies. LOTR is far superior to Hobbit. But hobbit doesn't completely suck.

#54 6 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

sorta ugly art wise compared to Hobbit.

No way. IMO you can't get a Hobbit to look this good.

IMG_0871 (resized).JPGIMG_0871 (resized).JPG

IMG_1131 (resized).JPGIMG_1131 (resized).JPG

IMG_0870 (resized).JPGIMG_0870 (resized).JPG

#55 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

No way. IMO you can't get a Hobbit to look this good.

I hope you are not talking about the printing cabinet quality. Because that's one area LOTR really lacks.

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I hope you are not talking about the printing cabinet quality. Because that's one area LOTR really lacks.

No. I'm talking about the game itself. The total package. I just don't see anything about TH which blows me away aesthetically. LOTR is a fantastic looking game and with some mods really comes to life in a way that TH can't.

#57 6 years ago

I vote for The Silmarillion

IMG_1686 (resized).PNGIMG_1686 (resized).PNG

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I think it's a tie overall. Hobbit wins on sound, video, artwork, but LOTR wins on rules.

Tie???? Fun factor definitely goes to lotr. The hobbit is beautiful but you cant have fun with beautiful unless you hire a girl named Jasmine

0d63e44e72f8414e82e372fe7f5a2332--jasmin-villegas-gothic-girls (resized).jpg0d63e44e72f8414e82e372fe7f5a2332--jasmin-villegas-gothic-girls (resized).jpg

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

No. I'm talking about the game itself. The total package. I just don't see anything about TH which blows me away aesthetically. LOTR is a fantastic looking game and with some mods really comes to life in a way that TH can't.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but LOTR doesn't come close to the look and beauty of TH. Gameplay is another matter entirely. But looks? TH easy.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I think it's a tie overall. Hobbit wins on sound, video, artwork, but LOTR wins on rules. Both are a lot of fun to play. I find th to be more immersive, though dtr is one of the coolest modes in all of pinball.

Lotr wins on layout as well. TH layout doesn't even come close.

#61 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...but LOTR doesn't come close to the look and beauty of TH. Gameplay is another matter entirely. But looks? TH easy.

well you don't play looks. All comes to layout and rules that make a game fun. this is where LOTR is far far superior. It has that sweet balance between difficult and depth, yet goals achievable for every level of player. With fairly good presentation to showing the person what to do, and what they have done.

Hobbit, while looking good, is a confusing mess for the casual player and things happen and you don't know why. Looking at the screen just confuses you even more. This is where to much complexity overrides fun and results in confusion. It's a fragile balance that JJP doesn't seem to understand yet.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

True. I can agree with that. For me LOTR is a stunning game that fits the theme of Lord of the Rings books/movie. Others see th as the winner on looks. It's new, it's fresh, has pretty lights etc.

It's like appreciating a natural beauty in yoga pants and a t-shirt more than a bleach blonde with bolted on boobies in 6in heels and a mini-skirt. I prefer the natural beauty all day. Others don't. To each their own as they say. It's the Ginger and Mary Ann argument.

LOTR
IMG_1254 (resized).JPGIMG_1254 (resized).JPG
TH
IMG_1255 (resized).JPGIMG_1255 (resized).JPG

#63 6 years ago
Quoted from MinusWorlds:

It's the Ginger and Mary Ann argument.

Both would be my response

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

well you don't play looks. All comes to layout and rules that make a game fun. this is where LOTR is far far superior. It has that sweet balance between difficult and depth, yet goals achievable for every level of player. With fairly good presentation to showing the person what to do, and what they have done.
Hobbit, while looking good, is a confusing mess for the casual player and things happen and you don't know why. Looking at the screen just confuses you even more. This is where to much complexity overrides fun and results in confusion. It's a fragile balance that JJP doesn't seem to understand yet.

Really? Lord of the Rings doesn't tell a player what needs to be done to to start mode, or for reaching Destroy the Ring. Also, once in those modes it's not easy for a casual player to figure out what to do versus the book LCD in TH that has instructions, along with callouts, for required shots.

I bet that a casual player can more easily figure out how to reach an Arkenstone mini wizard mode in TH vs how to reach the Destroy the Ring mini wizard mode in LOTR. The Hobbit clearly shows on the LCD what objectives need to be completed to start an Arkenstone mode and there's also a mini tutorial video that plays in attract mode.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

All comes to layout and rules that make a game fun. this is where LOTR is far far superior.

Let me tell you something. Play TH with ear phones, and get to one of the wizard modes (like Into the Fire), and play that. The epic sound, color, call outs, interactive movie on the backglass....it is fun as hell. Really next level stuff. Each mode has great sound, rules and music. and there are alot of them. LOTR is fine, but TH is really fun. If you do that and still are not impressed I don't know what to tell you. To me it is a great modern pinball platform and big time stuff! I would rather keep my hobbit, and you keep your LOTR. That way, we are getting the one with the best look, layout, and game play. So win-win. Game On!

#66 6 years ago

This is like comparing Apples to Oranges........Different era, different manufacturer, etc. I have both, I play both and both are fun! I voted for LOTR just because its a timeless classic and TH is unproven

#67 6 years ago

I think the final tally in the poll says it all. I know Pinside polls are far from scientific, but when they are as overwhelmingly one sided as this one...

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I think the final tally in the poll says it all. I know Pinside polls are far from scientific, but when they are as overwhelmingly one sided as this one...

Hard to argue that point for sure.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

just like the movies....But hobbit doesn't completely suck.

I'm sorry I'm not following you here

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Really? Lord of the Rings doesn't tell a player what needs to be done to to start mode, or for reaching Destroy the Ring. Also, once in those modes it's not easy for a casual player to figure out what to do versus the book LCD in TH that has instructions, along with callouts, for required shots.
I bet that a casual player can more easily figure out how to reach an Arkenstone mini wizard mode in TH vs how to reach the Destroy the Ring mini wizard mode in LOTR. The Hobbit clearly shows on the LCD what objectives need to be completed to start an Arkenstone mode and there's also a mini tutorial video that plays in attract mode.

mode start insert blinks right for the center ramp. Telling you to shoot there to start a mode. Says it right on the playfield. For Destroy the ring, the 4 arrows are lit. once you get those, it points to the ring. You never even need to look at the DMD. Nothing else is even lit on the playfield to really drive it's point home and keep you unconfused.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

mode start insert blinks right for the center ramp. Telling you to shoot there to start a mode. Says it right on the playfield. For Destroy the ring, the 4 arrows are lit. once you get those, it points to the ring. You never even need to look at the DMD. Nothing else is even lit on the playfield to really drive it's point home and keep you unconfused.

I don't always agree with the Captain, but he is right here. My 5 year old daughter played LoTR for the first time, flipped around, shot it into the ring and realized "mode thingy start here".

The Hobbit is a mess for casual and even diehard pinheads; it might be great once you understand what's going on but it does a super crappy job leading you there.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

The Hobbit is a mess for casual and even diehard pinheads; it might be great once you understand what's going on but it does a super crappy job leading you there.

I've played it only a few times at shows and i have never had any idea what the hell was going on other than trolls are always popping up and there are green or blue arrows somwhere

#73 6 years ago

I own both and enjoy both, but lotr is way more fun to play. The Hobbit is built better and looks better overall, but lotr is a far more fun game for me to play.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I don't always agree with the Captain, but he is right here. My 5 year old daughter played LoTR for the first time, flipped around, shot it into the ring and realized "mode thingy start here".

Hit sets of drop targets to light elf, man and / or dwarf modes. Right ramp has a "mode" laser cut out that will then be glowing red. Pretty easy.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hit sets of drop targets to light elf, man and / or dwarf modes. Right ramp has a "mode" laser cut out that will then be glowing red. Pretty easy.

Yeah, that's why almost everybody who doesn't own the game, even if they are super into pinball, has no idea what is going on.

Everybody else is the problem, NOT that they jumped the shark in terms of catering to a very narrow segment of the population over having clear beginner objectives.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yeah, that's why almost everybody who doesn't own the game, even if they are super into pinball, has no idea what is going on.
Everybody else is the problem, NOT that they didn't jump the shark in terms of catering to a very narrow segment of the population over having clear beginner objectives.

? There are clear beginner objectives. Hit the sets of drop targets to light man, elf and / or dwarf modes. That's easier then starting the twister mode in WOZ. Hit the 4 rollovers to light ball lock, left ramp lock cut out then flashes. Again, very simple.

#77 6 years ago

Most people don't know anything about playing a Pinball game and what to shoot for. They just flip the ball around and things may or may not happen for them. Real players (most of us on Pinside for example) figure out the rules and read rule sheets for games. Games are complex these days. I wouldn't want to be able to know everything a game offers the first time I play it *cough* Tron *cough*. Neither TH or LOTR is very intuitive at first play. Collect Elf rings to start a mode??? Huh? How could you possibly know that? At least TH tells you what to do on the screen to start a mode. They both have a MODE light on the pf/ramp that lights when available to start...it isn't rocket science here people. Once you learn the rules they both make sense and are awesome. It you can't learn the rules to either of these games then you have some issues I can't help with.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Most people don't know anything about playing a Pinball game and what to shoot for. They just flip the ball around and things may or may not happen for them. Real players (most of us on Pinside for example) figure out the rules and read rule sheets for games. Games are complex these days. I wouldn't want to be able to know everything a game offers the first time I play it *cough* Tron *cough*. Neither TH or LOTR is very intuitive at first play. Collect Elf rings to start a mode??? Huh? How could you possibly know that? At least TH tells you what to do on the screen to start a mode. They both have a MODE light on the pf/ramp that lights when available to start...it isn't rocket science here people. Once you learn the rules they both make sense and are awesome. It you can't learn the rules to either of these games then you have some issues I can't help with.

that's not true. All of us were new at some point. I remember figuring out when certain things light, that it makes things happen. Usually a green arrow like insert ment I could lock a ball, and usually if I locked 3 it would start multiball. That was my primary objective when I first really started playing pinball. Which was the FH, ES era. TAF and TZ were the games to pull me away from video games.

But you have to have that simple aspect that the new player can understand. This is where not having inserts labeled on the playfield, and being able to look over the game and start understanding what to do really hinders the beginner. JJP really doesn't like to label shit, relays to much on the display to tell you what to do. This makes his games uneventful for the newer player. New players don't want to just bat the ball around and shit just happens for no reason. They become mentally involved with a game, when they understand a aspect of it, and strive to make that happen.

#79 6 years ago

I genuinely hope Hobbit matures to become the better game, as it should for a newer tech and same coder, but right now I'm firmly backing LOTR simply because in my opinion it's the better overall game of the 2 right now. I really didn't enjoy Hobbit. Wanted to, but didn't.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

that's not true. All of us were new at some point. I remember figuring out when certain things light, that it makes things happen. Usually a green arrow like insert ment I could lock a ball, and usually if I locked 3 it would start multiball. That was my primary objective when I first really started playing pinball. Which was the FH, ES era. TAF and TZ were the games to pull me away from video games.
But you have to have that simple aspect that the new player can understand. This is where not having inserts labeled on the playfield, and being able to look over the game and start understanding what to do really hinders the beginner. JJP really doesn't like to label shit, relays to much on the display to tell you what to do. This makes his games uneventful for the newer player. New players don't want to just bat the ball around and shit just happens for no reason. They become mentally involved with a game, when they understand a aspect of it, and strive to make that happen.

Let's be honest here: a new player isn't inspecting the playfield and reading inserts. Hell, I barely do that. They are pressing start and flipping the ball around randomly trying to hit something that looks cool.

#81 6 years ago

I own both and love them both for different reasons... but LOTR is not a flow game, if anything its a clunker, but it has that bit of magic where theme, layout and rules come together. Mine is setup quite harsh (for me), but when a great game comes along and I destroy the ring, man that's like the best feeling in the world.

Hobbit on the other hand is a beauty, more of a steady away game. It has the potential to be as good as LOTR but for me the code is not there yet, I do feel like JJP and Keith will address this now. The games definitely complement each other is a collection if you like Tolkien's universe.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Hahaha. Sometimes you just need to throw in the towel.
TH is a huge letdown and you know it.

#83 6 years ago

I owned LotR, it is one of the best games out there. It is easy to understand, cause it's the same game like many other games out there, just with a Tolkien theme. You can get many games with othere themes like LotR.

There is no other game out there like TH. TH is something else and it's awesome. Perhaps TH is not for you. But I still think the rules are easy to understand, if you WANT to understand them. And when you start to go on this adventure........
Ok, I don't like to play it together with friends for competition. Other games are better for this. But if I am alone and want to relax and forget everything around me this is the number 1 game out there. Like the Tolkien fantasy world this game is escapism for me. I can get lost in some of these modes. Just like reading a good fantasy book.

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Let's be honest here: a new player isn't inspecting the playfield and reading inserts. Hell, I barely do that. They are pressing start and flipping the ball around randomly trying to hit something that looks cool.

Often when seeing a game for the first time my objective was to hit the ramps just to see what happens

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I think Pimp is right - both of these games are incredibly non intuitive at first play. I'm still having a hard time understanding TH. In fact I want to like it but last time I played I actually drained purposely b/c the ball wouldn't end and I just wasn't having fun.

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

In fact I want to like it but last time I played I actually drained purposely b/c the ball wouldn't end and I just wasn't having fun.

Now that's a big problem. Sounds like it just isn't for you. But maybe you need to play one that is set up more difficult?

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Hahaha. Sometimes you just need to throw in the towel.
TH is a huge letdown and you know it.

The JJP troll is back! Sometimes you just need to throw in the towel and stop trolling against JJP. The game is currently ranked #26, that's a huge let down? Lol!

Don't tell me what I know. I know that the Hobbit is a great loaded pin with a very fun ruleset. If you don't like it that's fine, but a lot of other people enjoy it

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Now that's a big problem. Sounds like it just isn't for you. But maybe you need to play one that is set up more difficult?

And sometimes you just need to play a different game.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The JJP troll is back!

loveisabattlefield (resized).jpgloveisabattlefield (resized).jpg

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

And sometimes you just need to play a different game.

Could very well be...as long as it isn't IJ!!

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The game is currently ranked #26, that's a huge let down? Lol!

The top 100 and ratings mean exactly shit when it comes to the fun factor or popularity of a pin in most cases.

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The top 100 and ratings means exactly shit

I don't think it is total garbage - but I take the rankings with a grain of salt (as what people look for and enjoy in a game are very different).

I treat it like this. If you can have ANY pin you want - not cost to you, which ones would you pick. Any at all... I would do Hobbit, MB, and TRON LE (so that's my top 3). I am sure others would pick others.

2 years later
#93 4 years ago

I've owned both and enjoy Hobbit was more.

Both are a blast!

#94 4 years ago

Not really a fair comparison, designed by different people, built by different companies. Like 15 years apart. No no this comparison is garbage.

#95 4 years ago

Currently an owner of both machines as I'm a YUGE Tolkien nerd. Running latest code.
Similarities:
Orbits are semi tough to hit
Complete all modes to get to TABA
Main ramp primarily used to start modes
Bash toys (balrog vs beast mechs)
Diverter (smaug magnet vs Orthanc)
2 VUK/kick outs (I see as the same)
Spell lock (roll over vs lane)
3 pop bumpers in upper right of pf
Collecting awards (stand up target vs palantir)
3 mini wizard modes
Interactive toys (Smaug vs Barad-dûr)
Destroy the ring VS killing Smaug (DTR is WAY easier)
Gates (LOTR has orbit and gandalf, TH has two in the pop bumper areas)

Which is harder?
Because of LOTRs rule set and accomplishment requirements to get to Valinor LOTR is absolutely the hardest of the two. Long live the king.

Why own both?
Because the TH code is freaking outstanding. From the modes to lights to video. The only reasons to dislike this game is if you dont like the movie or dislike JJP. TH is a wide body which if not setup right is floaty and slow. Setup correctly it is absolutely a force to be reckoned with.

Which is better?
It's freaking Tolkien! Don't be stupid they're BOTH awesome.

20190903_191909 (resized).jpg20190903_191909 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Castro Valley, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tolkiens-best-game-lotr-vs-hobbit/page/2?hl=slrage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.