download (4) (resized).jpg
qpcv3 (resized).JPG
MPU (resized).JPG
QPC (resized).jpg
tpd09 (resized).jpg
tpd08 (resized).jpg
tpd07 (resized).jpg
tpd06 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 5 years ago

Very very slick. To get the best idea of the playfield and flow, look at the early art layout drawing overlaid on the blueprint. That mini-flipper seems redundant at first and blocks the bottom right flipper from making the same shots, until you can see how it's fed from the upper left flipper to pound away at those DRIFT targets. Six distinct shots on a single level is not to be sniffed at either. No drops, but on this style of game you'll hardly miss them.

The only criticisms I'd have of the layout are the obvious SDTM potential from between the pops, and that all the flippers have a feed to them except the bottom right. There's no inner orbit or return loop pass from the bottom left to the bottom right, and unless that mini-loop is also a ball lock it's also going to be the least important flipper in the game. You'd be spending more time trying to keep or pass the ball to the left.

1 month later
#34 5 years ago

Was that just player feedback, or did it include spectators? My personal opinion looking at the videos is there needs to be more communication with the player through callouts, and more acknowledgement of what the player is doing via screen displays. I can see a whole game being played and not be sure what progress has been made, and that makes it pretty dull to watch. I assume this can be put down to early code, and that it will be addressed.

#35 5 years ago

Another suggestion, if it's not too late to alter the playfield print file: put more text on the game around the insert groups as to what the completed features actually do, and what lights and advances what.

#38 5 years ago

I'm not fond of so many lights flashing in unison so much of the time either, you don't get a sense of hierarchy about what's most important to shoot for when a game does that.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Primary things to know and watch for in video. 1) Hit green standup turning it solid lit, hit (5) drift stand ups turning them solid lit, hit flashing yellow inserts to collect a race and turn the mode insert in middle of playfield to solid lit. Repeat seven times and during these sequences, inserts blink when qualified. 2) qualify lock and shoot inlane to lock ball. Repeat twice to start multiball. There is some other stuff and additional multiballs being added, but start with this understanding.

I was able to figure the race rules out watching the videos again, but this is where lamp hierarchy is important. You also have those eight simple objectives for the triangular insert fan, which is a good way of doing it as it ties in everything on the playfield and gives them each a purpose. But since they can be done in any order, don't have everything flash at once; save that for things that have the priority to advance the races, or for when you're down to the latest couple of objectives left to make. A lit target should mean 'hit this', whereas a flashing one should mean 'hit this now'.

1 week later
#46 5 years ago

That's definitely an improvement to follow.

1 month later
#62 5 years ago

PETG, something like 5 or 6mm thick? New Canasta from a number of years back did the same.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tokyo-perfect-drift?tu=ealadubhsidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.