Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinfidel
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20230127_133648_Chrome (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blake.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

What would be the reason one would choose to use tokens instead of quarters?

Many people customize tokens to represent their arcade. In both business and home use. Also with tokens you get more for your money, literally.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

So if I walk in to a place using tokens and have to pay USD for a token or tokens, how does that provide me any benefit?

The question you asked was - "What would be the reason one would choose to use tokens instead of quarters?" which I gave the reason for doing so. The question of "benefit" is a different matter. But here is a good summery.

Home Use:

If you buy tokens your spending actual money for a coin that isn't worth the same as a quarter. Maybe nothing at all to most folks. This is true. You did however receive more coins then you would have for the same amount of dollars exchanged for quarters. This is also true. You can customize a token. You can't customize a quarter.

Business Use:

If my arcade operates on quarters you can come in with 5 dollars in your pocket, play a few games and walk out with a few quarters less. You will have spent a few quarters. I will have made a few quarters.

If my arcade operates on tokens. I bought the tokens for less then the cost of a quarter which is approximately the value they represent. I may use this difference in price point as a selling point for you to buy more tokens. (example: for every 5 dollars purchased you get 4 free tokens) When you exchange your actual currency for my tokens I am not only making a little bit extra on the exchange but I now have a higher probability that if you don't use all your tokens you will in fact return to my arcade and use them as most likely they are worthless elsewhere. Again you can customize the token to display your arcade. You can't customize a quarter.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

You all already know this well… nobody prefers tokens to quarters (or especially cards), cares about custom iconography on the token, etc. and trying to frame it as somehow beneficial to the customer is a bit disingenuous to me and everyone else that has to use them.
    Allowing someone to come in and PAY YOU to play YOUR games as many times as they want because they are well-kept up and desirable games and not trying to get extra from that interaction through intermediate currency is my problem with it.

If you don't like tokens don't use tokens.

To say that everyone doesn't like tokens, doesn't care about them being customized, and has no interest in there benefits is ignorant. When operating machines in your home its all for show. You either like them, want them, have them or don't. Choice is yours. If its a business they can decide if tokens benefit them or not. Many large arcades operate on a pay at the door flat rate with games set on freeplay or tokens. If tokens then they are most likely customized with name/logo.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

You can decide for yourself who is being ignorant in this equation.

I have.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider blake.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tokens?tu=blake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.