Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Deez
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 days ago

Do any of you use tokens instead of quarters? If so, what size and from where? I got samples from Hoffman mint of .900 and .984 but they dont work with my coin mechs. Thanks for any insight.

#2 3 days ago
    Quoted from Aflacjack:

but they dont work with my coin mechs.

You need token mechs or cradles to convert your coin mechs.

The government takes a dim view of tokens that would work in quarter mechs.

LTG : )

#3 3 days ago

Common sizes are the .882 and .900. I believe a quarter is .950.

#4 3 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You need token mechs or cradles to convert your coin mechs.
    The government takes a dim view of tokens that would work in quarter mechs.

Cradles?

#5 3 days ago

Is the part of the coin mech that cradles/catches the coin and pivots it down toward the accept path of the coin mech. If the coin size doesn't match the cradle, the coin will not pass. I use 0.9" tokens in all my machines.

#6 3 days ago

You could use Any Coin Mechs and use a variety of token sizes: https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-mech

If you have access to a 3D printer, you could print a couple out. I've seen various designs over the years, and have also modified token mechs to take any sized coins in the past.

#7 3 days ago
    Quoted from Aflacjack:

Do any of you use tokens instead of quarters? If so, what size and from where? I got samples from Hoffman mint of .900 and .984 but they dont work with my coin mechs. Thanks for any insight.

Imonex coin mechs are the best IMO.
    Get those in .984.
    This way you can accept tokens as well as quarters.
    When I did mine I used Tokens Direct.
    https://tokensdirect.com

#8 3 days ago
    Quoted from nephasth:

You could use Any Coin Mechs and use a variety of token sizes: https://www.arcadeplastics.com/any-coin-mech
    If you have access to a 3D printer, you could print a couple out. I've seen various designs over the years, and have also modified token mechs to take any sized coins in the past.

That’s fine for home, but not for commercial use.
    You could literally drop nickels or foreign junk coins in and get credits.

#9 3 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Imonex coin mechs are the best IMO.
    Get those in .984.
    This way you can accept tokens as well as quarters.
    When I did mine I used Tokens Direct.
    https://tokensdirect.com

At my arcade we ran those Imonex ones for years. We finally got tired of buying tokens and switched to quarters 2 years ago. Only maybe 5 mechs out of the whole place acted up on us. Some of them were very very finicky, so we just replaced them. So yeah, .984 is the best because you get the best of both worlds.

#10 2 days ago

I use tokens in my home game room. Most of my tokens are .984s, but I've got some .900s as well. I've messed with a couple of the quarter mechs in a couple of my games enough to get them to accept a .984, and I actually now have a good number of AnyCoin mechs, but on a couple of the other games I actually need to get some new coin entry plates as the ones there are specifically for quarters and the .984s simply won't fit as they're too big.

Most of my tokens I bought in huge lots on eBay. I think I have just shy of 2000 tokens right now and I think my total spend is under $100. On a side note, I've been collecting arcade tokens since the 80's, so I went through almost all of them and pulled out a few of each kind to keep in my collection. It was time consuming, but fun to see all the different arcades from across the country.

#11 2 days ago

What would be the reason one would choose to use tokens instead of quarters?

#12 2 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

To keep your kids from stealing your coins

#13 2 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Many people customize tokens to represent their arcade. In both business and home use. Also with tokens you get more for your money, literally.

#14 2 days ago
    Quoted from Blake:

Also with tokens you get more for your money, literally.

Who does?

#16 2 days ago

So if I walk in to a place using tokens and have to pay USD for a token or tokens, how does that provide me any benefit?

#17 2 days ago

It may provide benefit for the arcade owner. You walk into an arcade, change a couple of dollars into quarters, play a few games and walk away with most quarters still in your pocket. But if the arcade operates on tokens, you are more likely to spend them all there, because they are not valid "money" anywhere else.

#18 2 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

So if I walk in to a place using tokens and have to pay USD for a token or tokens, how does that provide me any benefit?

The question you asked was - "What would be the reason one would choose to use tokens instead of quarters?" which I gave the reason for doing so. The question of "benefit" is a different matter. But here is a good summery.

Home Use:

If you buy tokens your spending actual money for a coin that isn't worth the same as a quarter. Maybe nothing at all to most folks. This is true. You did however receive more coins then you would have for the same amount of dollars exchanged for quarters. This is also true. You can customize a token. You can't customize a quarter.

Business Use:

If my arcade operates on quarters you can come in with 5 dollars in your pocket, play a few games and walk out with a few quarters less. You will have spent a few quarters. I will have made a few quarters.

If my arcade operates on tokens. I bought the tokens for less then the cost of a quarter which is approximately the value they represent. I may use this difference in price point as a selling point for you to buy more tokens. (example: for every 5 dollars purchased you get 4 free tokens) When you exchange your actual currency for my tokens I am not only making a little bit extra on the exchange but I now have a higher probability that if you don't use all your tokens you will in fact return to my arcade and use them as most likely they are worthless elsewhere. Again you can customize the token to display your arcade. You can't customize a quarter.

#19 2 days ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

That’s fine for home, but not for commercial use.
    You could literally drop nickels or foreign junk coins in and get credits.

True. Although for 4 years while I ran pins, vids, and a skeeball machine in my dart hall (all had modified coin mechs to accept any sized coins), I pulled out less than a dozen non-quarters during collections. For the most part, people put in what the sign says to put in. It was the very small children dropping in non-quarters.

With token mechs, people could bring in tokens from another venue or bought online (if the right size) and use in a commercial setting gaining the operator nothing.

#20 2 days ago

Dropping a coin is a great way to enhance your customers experience.

We buy branded tokens from Hoffman Mint.

Imonex coin mechs are absolutely worth the money in any machine open to the public.

The reason your tokens aren't working with your coin mechs is that your coin mechs are made for $.25 (Quarters). You buy different coin mechs for token use. If you are using .984 (Chuck-E-Cheese) tokens, get .984 coin mechs. If you are using .900 tokens, get .900 coin mechs.

In commercial use, a coin changer machine... well, these can be surprisingly expensive. If your location is token only, and the changer goes down, your entire room stops making money. It's smart to have two money changers.

For home use, most any coin mech that is the appropriate size for your tokens will be fine. (You wouldn't need Imonex.) For home use you can buy a hundred (random) tokens on ebay pretty easily.

#21 2 days ago

You all already know this well… nobody prefers tokens to quarters (or especially cards), cares about custom iconography on the token, etc. and trying to frame it as somehow beneficial to the customer is a bit disingenuous to me and everyone else that has to use them.

Allowing someone to come in and PAY YOU to play YOUR games as many times as they want because they are well-kept up and desirable games and not trying to get extra from that interaction through intermediate currency is my problem with it.

#22 2 days ago

I sold a Galaga to BeerCade II in Omaha. I had high-score save with free-play on it. I later sold a Space Invaders and delivered it to them. I played a game of Galaga and noticed it was still on free-play. I told him and he said the thing was making a lot of money. Many people are just conditioned to drop a quarter in a machine and do not even think about it.

#23 2 days ago

Number one benefit to tokens is loss prevention. You control access to the actual cash thru the use of a change machine and limit theft from employees to just giving out free plays vs stealing money.

There is zero benefits to the customer.

#24 2 days ago
    Quoted from Tuukka:

It may provide benefit for the arcade owner. You walk into an arcade, change a couple of dollars into quarters, play a few games and walk away with most quarters still in your pocket. But if the arcade operates on tokens, you are more likely to spend them all there, because they are not valid "money" anywhere else.

Also cross spending is what I'm seeing. Several arcades have same size tokens- they're all mixed between the businesses...

#25 2 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

You all already know this well… nobody prefers tokens to quarters (or especially cards), cares about custom iconography on the token, etc. and trying to frame it as somehow beneficial to the customer is a bit disingenuous to me and everyone else that has to use them.
    Allowing someone to come in and PAY YOU to play YOUR games as many times as they want because they are well-kept up and desirable games and not trying to get extra from that interaction through intermediate currency is my problem with it.

If you don't like tokens don't use tokens.

To say that everyone doesn't like tokens, doesn't care about them being customized, and has no interest in there benefits is ignorant. When operating machines in your home its all for show. You either like them, want them, have them or don't. Choice is yours. If its a business they can decide if tokens benefit them or not. Many large arcades operate on a pay at the door flat rate with games set on freeplay or tokens. If tokens then they are most likely customized with name/logo.

#26 2 days ago
    Quoted from Blake:

If you don't like tokens don't use tokens.
    To say that everyone doesn't like tokens, doesn't care about them being customized, and has no interest in there benefits is ignorant. When operating machines in your home its all for show. You either like them, want them, have them or don't. Choice is yours. If its a business they can decide if tokens benefit them or not. Many large arcades operate on a pay at the door flat rate with games set on freeplay or tokens. If tokens then they are most likely customized with name/logo.

Oh I agree - any business can do whatever the hell they want, just as the choice to go to (or not go to) a given location is indeed ours. If a business chooses to not listen to what the potential customers want, then they can do exactly that. And flat rate is an entirely different conversation, so don’t deflect to that.

You can decide for yourself who is being ignorant in this equation.

#27 2 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

You can decide for yourself who is being ignorant in this equation.

I have.

#28 2 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Number one benefit to tokens is loss prevention. You control access to the actual cash thru the use of a change machine and limit theft from employees to just giving out free plays vs stealing money.
    There is zero benefits to the customer.

By reducing theft, and increasing income, a location can remain in business, and buy new pinball machines for the consumer to play. In this way, a location's use of tokens can indeed benefit the consumer.

Regardless, I can't imagine storming out of a location because they use tokens. Any potential customer that insane, you are probably better off without at your establishment.

#29 2 days ago

Maintaining games at a large arcade-bar, that switched to tokens due to quarters not being available after shutdowns.
    One big benefit was that companies that would NOT have gatherings before, because they didn’t want to give a $10 roll of quarters (money) to each employee at the gathering. Now there are many more of those type of events, and they have no problem handing out $20 bags of tokens to everyone, and know they will be spent on the games, as intended. I’m sure some families might feel the same way.
    Overall, tokens have been great, and I was against it originally.

#30 2 days ago

You can glue the cradle with hot glue and tokens will work in it.

#31 2 days ago
    Quoted from skink91:

The benefit is for the location or owner of the games.

Many years ago the ads in trade magazines said, "once you've sold the token, you've made the sale".

At that point they don't care if you use them or not, they are ahead.

#32 2 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The benefit is for the location or owner of the games.
    Many years ago the ads in trade magazines said, "once you've sold the token, you've made the sale".
    At that point they don't care if you use them or not, they are ahead.

This I can agree with entirely.

#33 2 days ago

Also, tokens can be used by an arcade as a form of coupon. Buy [some food item] and get 2 tokens. Kids: bring in a report card and get a token for every A. And many more ideas.

I think the biggest item for arcade operators is centralizing where all the real cash is. At the close of business each day, just take the cash from the change machines. You only go around to the cashboxes of individual games when you need more tokens.

Salespeople for the token manufacturers will be happy to tell you about other creative uses, and will also give you advice about acceptors and all the other aspects of coin-handling that may be different with tokens.
    .................David Marston

#34 2 days ago

The reason for my question is this. I have a location and have 7 games there. I use a change machine and quarters. I just recycle the quarters from the machines back to the changer. What I am noticing is that people use the change machine and walk out with unused quarters in their pocket. I then have to go to the bank and get rolls of quarters…..which is hard because I always hear “we only have x rolls of quarters available”. So, my thinking is transition to tokens for the games. They are cheaper than quarters and more readily available. Plus people are more inclined to use them and not walk out since they have no money value.

#35 2 days ago

My only concern with common size tokens is that they are common. If they are generic too you could get someone selling bulk tokens on eBay or Craigslist then show up to your place and play all day.

You are also limited on what sizes you can use based on the plastic housings around coin entry too. I mean you could do a nickel sized token and be ok but there’s another common token that’s slightly under the size of a half dollar. That won’t fit in many newer doors. Unless you get your dremel out.

#36 2 days ago

Can't someone just order a bunch of tokens from one of these sites and then use them at any arcade? Assuming of course that the person bought both .900 and the .984 size tokens. Just use the size that fits the mechanism, right?

For this reason, I'd have no coins in my arcade. I'd use those card readers. Talk about no value. And people swipe those things left and right with no idea how much is on them. Plus, people will take them home and say, I'll use them another time, only to lose the card.

Also, no stealing by employees either. They can't steal quarters or sell tokens cheap to people (I'll give you $20 worth of tokens for $10 bucks), or simply give them to friends to play for free.

Any reason not to have card readers, other than maybe the initial set up costs?

#37 2 days ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Any reason not to have card readers, other than maybe the initial set up costs?

They cost a ton to set up and you have to maintain a server and retrofit all your games. Definitely have high earning potential due to being able to use points and decouple the price from a monetary value and most people are too dim to do the math and know they're paying $3.00 a game.

#38 2 days ago

When I worked on games back in the day I really enjoyed the coin jams from the tickets.... Man those quarters would pile up.

#39 2 days ago
    Quoted from Aflacjack:

What I am noticing is that people use the change machine and walk out with unused quarters in their pocket.

Sound like you need some bill acceptors….

#40 2 days ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Sound like you need some bill acceptors….

Hard to do on an original Asteroids, cocktail Galaga, an Eight Ball, and a Joker Poker. Easy to do on Star Wars(has a bill acceptor), Tmnt, and Stikes n spares(Gottlieb)

#41 2 days ago

As a customer on location I prefer tokens to cash. Probably for odd reasons. It reminds me of the local arcades I went as a kid that were tokens. And if I have left over tokens I am happy to support the place with the extra $. I have a huge sack of left over tokens, many from places that don’t exist any more like Pinball Wizard in NH. Just part of my pinball sickness I guess.

#42 2 days ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Definitely have high earning potential due to being able to use points and decouple the price from a monetary value and most people are too dim to do the math and know they're paying $3.00 a game

Yeah! Screw those stupid paying customers over!

#43 1 day ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Yeah! Screw those stupid paying customers over!

They're screwing themselves by not doing the math. Vote with your wallet.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!