(Topic ID: 222674)

Toho Godzilla speculation thread. Pole included!

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How would you like to see this play out?”

• The original cut in black and white 34 votes
      28%
    • Raymond Burr plays a great lawyer, but he is no match for Godzilla 3 votes
      2%
    • Godzilla Vs. Mothra 34 votes
      28%
    • I'd like to see a VE of the Mathew Broderick version 7 votes
      6%
    • Raymond Burr vs. Godzilla 5 votes
      4%
    • I'll vote with the majority on this one 7 votes
      6%
    • Let's see how this one plays out 33 votes
      27%

(123 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    43E063DB-86C5-4D16-863B-192AAA064B1A (resized).png
    4E5C4605-8611-48B8-82EE-A1C24C0AE31E (resized).jpeg
    4AD80AAA-DDBC-4884-8D03-2D2D0A89292D (resized).png
    3EB030E5-3853-401B-BB4D-A8E718E86330 (resized).jpeg
    7026be2660ab6b8116e8baf304a92c4c (resized).jpg
    B3B17A43-E8A6-43B8-9BE3-7577F7898CCC (resized).png
    EnergeticFeistyHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif
    godzilla (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    Godzuki (resized).jpg
    ratfink09047 (resized).JPG
    71nbAT3G0EL._SX355_ (resized).jpg
    jb (resized).jpg
    2fjmbu (resized).jpg
    9F1C07D6-6277-4EB1-8438-5B0CA54503EF (resized).jpeg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

Now that we know the license has been acquired and apparently there was a bidding war to do so, how do you think this will play out? Will Perry Mason have a role?

We may just have to wait and see.

#2 5 years ago

I heard that there was going to be a really cool Godzilla bash toy in the middle of the playfield. Sales will be huge if that is true.

#3 5 years ago

More Matthew Broderick and that horse he rides everyday!

20180807_020453 (resized).png20180807_020453 (resized).png
    #4 5 years ago

I will take one with:
    a bash toy that spits balls SDTM
    splitting cabs with no corner brackets
    ghosting inserts
    failing node boards that lack schematics and are unobtanium in 24 months
    chipping playfields
    design flaws that require immediate fixes and added protectors
    recycled code from lonnie
    large sculptures that dont interact with the game but block you view
    intermittently weak flippers
    an orbit that always dumps to the pops
    inserts that never get coded
    poorly done call outs with the same hillbilly voice from twd and the sparky/jacky dude

yup, that should about cover it

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

Why it is only acceptable to bash Stern, the company most likely to get you a game on time and not steal your money?

#6 5 years ago

Let them fight

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

People should be allowed to be negative. It's like those signs in the subway "If you see something, say something"

only stating the facts maam

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

People should be allowed to be negative... And over in the Alice Cooper thread someone was just moderated for suggesting the game might have issues (which I assure you it does).

community members should be allowed to discuss topics without fear of being gang-raped. in addition, bens comments were in the context of someone being unable to discuss a spooky product, not a stern.

Quoted from benheck:

the "Pinside Defense Force" needs to stop.

especially when the least qualified person for the job is playing police chief.

#9 5 years ago

Your "pole" does not include the obvious choice of the game wont be made.by anyone.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Your "pole" does not include the obvious choice of the game wont be made.by anyone.

This.

#11 5 years ago

When you said "Pole included" I though this was the kind of pole that would be in the thread. What a letdown

#12 5 years ago

The only real answer:

Monster_Zero (resized).jpgMonster_Zero (resized).jpg
    #13 5 years ago

I like the idea. Godzilla is the only movie that’s earned my ticket money since the dark knight. Yes I was was there when the Matthew Broderick abomination also hit the silver screen! I enjoy sega’s godzilla pin, but would look forward to one cast in the current rendition.. with perhaps an le that pays homage to the 50’s

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

No licensing deal would allow Stern to never make a game and never allow anyone else to make a game forever.

If there is no Stern Godzilla, the rights would become up for grabs again in a few years. Spooky could even pick it up again later.

#15 5 years ago

Must have some Mothra!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #16 5 years ago

Well, if it isn't a Spooky Godzilla pin, I ain't buying it.

#17 5 years ago

Shin Godzilla please

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

No licensing deal would allow Stern to never make a game and never allow anyone else to make a game forever.
    If there is no Stern Godzilla, the rights would become up for grabs again in a few years. Spooky could even pick it up again later.

You buy a new pin from this license and I will drive to Canada, play one game on your machine and turn around and drive home. It's not happening.

#19 5 years ago

I get that Charlie & the gang were excited for this theme as they are really into the Godzilla thing but I think this may be a blessing in disguise.

Prior to this pinball news drama happening I had never heard of Toho which I’m sure is the case for the majority of people outside of Japan. I can’t imagine them doing a run of 500 of this theme. I can see this being a run of 150 and even then that being a tough sell.

They self admit they already have another license that would be more popular and be better for business so while it may sting not getting what you want it’ll probably be for the best.

In the end it is just business despite how some may feel.I don’t agree with the stern employee barging in on Charlie’s meeting as that seems like the biggest dick move of this happening.

In the next few months I see TNA selling over 500 units thus remaining Spookys best selling title and it required no license. Proof that that you don’t always need a licensed theme.

#20 5 years ago

Perhaps a Mech like that of Star Ship Troopers Brain Bug. Or motorized like that of Cirqus Voltaire. Godzilla rises from the ocean and then you bash him.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I had never heard of Toho which I’m sure is the case for the majority of people outside of Japan.

Sooooo wrong...

#22 5 years ago

Congrats o-din on staying out of the basement for nearly half a day. Must be approaching a modern-era record here!

#23 5 years ago

Imagine if they really are just being total dicks about this and they retheme Whoa Nellie again.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstym:

Imagine if they really are just being total dicks about this and they retheme Whoa Nellie again.

How about if they re-theme Spider-Man Home Edition again? That might peak @o-din's fancy.

#25 5 years ago

I’d like to see a well-done classic Godzilla pin with mothra, ghidorah, mechagodzilla, hedorah, megalon, and gigan battles. Some fight clips on the lcd to bring back some nostalgia...ideally have some video assets like bm66 (along with a programmer that has a passion for Godzilla like Sheets had for bm66). As long as it’s a well-thought out pin, not just crammed together to get something out the door, I’d dig it. Hopefully they’ve got some folks with a Godzilla passion!

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Congrats o-din on staying out of the basement for nearly half a day.

This time I hired the best!

godzilla3 (resized).jpggodzilla3 (resized).jpg
    #27 5 years ago

While a 70's themed Toho Godzilla game would be awesome, it's fairly obvious it will be based on the new movie coming out in 2019.

Godzilla, King Ghidorah (aka Monster Zero), Rodan, Mothra. All based covered. Let the destruction reign!

Really looking forward to it

godzilla__king_of_the_monsters (resized).jpggodzilla__king_of_the_monsters (resized).jpg

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Must have some Mothra!

With dueling tiny bobblehead toys?

ihC930y (resized).jpgihC930y (resized).jpg
    #29 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

While a 70's themed Toho Godzilla game would be awesome, it's fairly obvious it will be based on the new movie coming out in 2019.

Looks like G Man has to lose a few lbs.....

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

cue the horrible video

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Evidently you're not alone on this one -- "Hollywood's Godzilla Is an 'American Fatty,' Say Japanese Fans": https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hollywoods-godzilla-is-an-american-700706

#32 5 years ago

Gamera is a must !

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will take one with:
    a bash toy that spits balls SDTM
    splitting cabs with no corner brackets
    ghosting inserts
    failing node boards that lack schematics and are unobtanium in 24 months
    chipping playfields
    design flaws that require immediate fixes and added protectors
    recycled code from lonnie
    large sculptures that dont interact with the game but block you view
    intermittently weak flippers
    an orbit that always dumps to the pops
    inserts that never get coded
    poorly done call outs with the same hillbilly voice from twd and the sparky/jacky dude
    yup, that should about cover it

Nailed it as usual Bro.

While I am glad Stern is still trying to pump out titles, the choice of titles and especially the QC are repugnant and off-putting.

JJP, Spooky and others will be watched more closely as I cut ties with Stern.

#34 5 years ago

$800 Aquarium topper- optional!

serizawa (resized).jpgserizawa (resized).jpg
    #35 5 years ago
    Quoted from underlord:

Nailed it as usual Bro.

Priceless! Thumbs up for bringing a bit of humor to the thread.

Godzilla (resized).jpgGodzilla (resized).jpg
    #36 5 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Thumbs up for bringing a bit of humor to the thread.

I apologize for lacking in that department lately.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from davijc02:

I had never heard of Toho which I’m sure is the case for the majority of people outside of Japan.

But still, this might be the most hilarious post in this thread so far.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:While a 70's themed Toho Godzilla game would be awesome, it's fairly obvious it will be based on the new movie coming out in 2019.
    [quoted image]

But TOHO isn't doing the new movie. If Stern wants a game based on the new movie then I think that would be a license with Legendary pictures not TOHO.

#39 5 years ago

An Akira Kurasawa pin would be magnificent. Same licensor?
    All 20 buyers would love it.

#40 5 years ago

It's brainstorms like this thread in the middle of the night that keep bringing me back to pinside no matter how hard I try.

But if I don't do it when inspiration strikes, I'd probably forget about it the next day.

#41 5 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

But TOHO isn't doing the new movie. If Stern wants a game based on the new movie then I think that would be a license with Legendary pictures not TOHO.

Toho has a deal with WB/Legendary that lasts until 2021.

https://www.slashfilm.com/godzilla-shared-universe/

#42 5 years ago

No computer generated Godzilla.

It's dude in a rubber suit or nothing!

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Toho has a deal with WB/Legendary that lasts until 2021.
    https://www.slashfilm.com/godzilla-shared-universe/

Isn't Toho just letting legendary use the godzilla name for the movies?

If Stern wants to make a game based on the movie coming out next year I think they need a licensing deal with legandary since they own the movie, not Toho.

Maybe Stern is doing a joint license with legendary and Toho? That way the pro model could be movie based but maybe have an LE version with the original Godzilla instead of the new one? Kinda like what they did with old vs new on WWE.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

If Stern wants to make a game based on the movie coming out next year

Now why on earth would they do that?

When was the last time they did any game based on a future release or a current one for that matter? I'm not talking about a 3-5 old movie either.

Nope. It's gotta be the original 1954 classic, because that fits the demographic they are now used to selling games to.

#45 5 years ago

Seven Samurai's or NOTHING! At least 5 of those samurai's would whip Gojira's big green ass.

#46 5 years ago

I'll see your Samurais and raise you one high priced lawyer.

raymondburr4 (resized).jpgraymondburr4 (resized).jpg

#47 5 years ago

Long live the king.

I’d be in. Would never happen but I would buy an all black and white original 1950s Godzilla LE in a heartbeat. That would be my dream. But I would certainly settle for any Godzilla pin. I’ve even thought about trying to buy the Sega one at some point, although I’ve only ever played it once I didn’t think it was that bad. But a Toho theme? With Ghidorah? Mothra? Rodan? I think there is a market for sure.

9F1C07D6-6277-4EB1-8438-5B0CA54503EF (resized).jpeg9F1C07D6-6277-4EB1-8438-5B0CA54503EF (resized).jpeg
    #48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Midnite:

I’ve even thought about trying to buy the Sega one at some point, although I’ve only ever played it once I didn’t think it was that bad.

2fjmbu (resized).jpg2fjmbu (resized).jpg
    #49 5 years ago

Prediction:
    It'll be better than the Sega one but less magnets!

#50 5 years ago

But will it say "You just kicked Godzilla's ass" ?

I almost bought Sega Godzilla for the second time, but all I had to do was start a game and listen to a few callouts to realize that wasn't a great idea. But it was a good shooting, fun playing game while I had it.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toho-godzilla-speculation-thread-pole-included?hl=phat_jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.