(Topic ID: 222674)

Toho Godzilla speculation thread. Pole included!

By o-din

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How would you like to see this play out?”

• The original cut in black and white 34 votes
      28%
    • Raymond Burr plays a great lawyer, but he is no match for Godzilla 3 votes
      2%
    • Godzilla Vs. Mothra 34 votes
      28%
    • I'd like to see a VE of the Mathew Broderick version 7 votes
      6%
    • Raymond Burr vs. Godzilla 5 votes
      4%
    • I'll vote with the majority on this one 7 votes
      6%
    • Let's see how this one plays out 33 votes
      27%

(123 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    43E063DB-86C5-4D16-863B-192AAA064B1A (resized).png
    4E5C4605-8611-48B8-82EE-A1C24C0AE31E (resized).jpeg
    4AD80AAA-DDBC-4884-8D03-2D2D0A89292D (resized).png
    3EB030E5-3853-401B-BB4D-A8E718E86330 (resized).jpeg
    7026be2660ab6b8116e8baf304a92c4c (resized).jpg
    B3B17A43-E8A6-43B8-9BE3-7577F7898CCC (resized).png
    EnergeticFeistyHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif
    godzilla (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    Godzuki (resized).jpg
    ratfink09047 (resized).JPG
    71nbAT3G0EL._SX355_ (resized).jpg
    jb (resized).jpg
    2fjmbu (resized).jpg
    9F1C07D6-6277-4EB1-8438-5B0CA54503EF (resized).jpeg
    There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 5 years ago

You're going the wrong way

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But will it say "You just kicked Godzilla's ass" ?
    I almost bought Sega Godzilla for the second time, but all I had to do was start a game and listen to a few callouts to realize that wasn't a great idea. But it was a good shooting, fun playing game while I had it.

Actually a great shooter and real challenge to do the ultimate stack. Looks amazing in colordmd also!

I like the callouts personally.

#53 5 years ago

Compared to most of the newer games I've owned and played, Sega Godzilla was certainly a win. And reasonably priced too.

Perhaps I expect a little too much out of these $6000+ modern machines.

#55 5 years ago

The theme would probably tie to the new movie, but Godzilla Final Wars is my kids' favorite. Best Godzilla movie ever, almost too awesome for a pinbacll machine would be my only concern.

It has aliens, the legendary Don Frye, the "Japanese Keanue Reeves" Masahiro Matsuoka, a rubber suited Godzilla, and for your consideration, the following monster appearences:

Godzilla
    Rodan
    Anguirus
    Zilla
    King Caesar
    Kamacuras
    Kumonga
    Manda
    Ebirah
    Gigan
    Mothra
    Minilla
    Hedorah
    Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah
    Varan
    Baragon
    Gaira
    Gezora
    Titanosaurus
    Megaguirus
    Fake Godzilla
    Godzilla Junior

#56 5 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

a rubber suited Godzilla

Well, that certainly is a big plus! Way better than a fake Godzilla.

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

The theme would probably tie to the new movie, but Godzilla Final Wars is my kids' favorite. Best Godzilla movie ever, almost too awesome for a pinbacll machine would be my only concern.
    It has aliens, the legendary Don Frye, the "Japanese Keanue Reeves" Masahiro Matsuoka, a rubber suited Godzilla, and for your consideration, the following monster appearences:
    Godzilla
    Rodan
    Anguirus
    Zilla
    King Caesar
    Kamacuras
    Kumonga
    Manda
    Ebirah
    Gigan
    Mothra
    Minilla
    Hedorah
    Varan
    Baragon
    Gaira
    Gezora
    Titanosaurus
    Megaguirus
    Fake Godzilla
    Godzilla Junior

Special Edition wide body needed for this.

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Now why on earth would they do that?
    When was the last time they did any game based on a future release or a current one for that matter? I'm not talking about a 3-5 old movie either.
    Nope. It's gotta be the original 1954 classic, because that fits the demographic they are now used to selling games to.

Or perhaps more likely, they will just shelve the licence for a few years until the next movie is released? The acquisition was a cock block to Spooky anyway. They've shelved licences before (Superman anyone?)

I'd love to see Toho Godzilla pin, but I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if it happened at Stern.

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The acquisition was a cock block to Spooky anyway.

Yeah that really sucks.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

They've shelved licences before (Superman anyone?)

No big loss. Apparently it wasn't the iconic TV or comic book Superman anyway.

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Or perhaps more likely, they will just shelve the licence for a few years until the next movie is released? The acquisition was a cock block to Spooky anyway. They've shelved licences before (Superman anyone?)
    I'd love to see Toho Godzilla pin, but I'd be (pleasantly) shocked if it happened at Stern.

Agreed, they won't even build a pin with the license.

#61 5 years ago

Perhaps then Spooky should grab the Bon Jovi license and not use it and really throw a wrench in their gears.

#62 5 years ago
    jb (resized).jpgjb (resized).jpg
    #63 5 years ago

I wonder if that tattoo artist could be convince to try playfield art, would be a perfect fit for the theme.

#64 5 years ago

Name one good spooky pin not designed by SD. Stern will do it better.

#65 5 years ago

I’m hoping we get Pharoahe Monch’s Gojira:

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from Msch:

Stern will do it better.

Well gee, then I can hardly wait to see the art package on this thing.
    71nbAT3G0EL._SX355_ (resized).jpg71nbAT3G0EL._SX355_ (resized).jpg

Or will it be-

ratfink09047 (resized).JPGratfink09047 (resized).JPG

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I will take one with:
    a bash toy that spits balls SDTM
    splitting cabs with no corner brackets
    ghosting inserts
    failing node boards that lack schematics and are unobtanium in 24 months
    chipping playfields
    design flaws that require immediate fixes and added protectors
    recycled code from lonnie
    large sculptures that dont interact with the game but block you view
    intermittently weak flippers
    an orbit that always dumps to the pops
    inserts that never get coded
    poorly done call outs with the same hillbilly voice from twd and the sparky/jacky dude
    yup, that should about cover it

Hope you get what you ask for.
    Nice of Stern to give prizes and support you, even tho you never miss a chance to shit on them.

#68 5 years ago

I read the spooky interview about Godzilla.

I think they should just make a gamera instead then.

I was just watching Godzilla trailers and moved to gamera trailers instead. Also I was thinking how great it was to watch those giant rubber monsters battling it out.

#69 5 years ago

Infra man.

Or a shaw brothers pin.

#70 5 years ago
    Quoted from DNO:

Hope you get what you ask for.
    Nice of Stern to give prizes and support you, even tho you never miss a chance to shit on them.

nothing wrong with holding a company accountable for their failures and expecting things to be fixed/improved. We dont all have to gobble everything they do up with vigor like you do. Honestly if we all lapped it up like you do, then I imagine we would still be getting poor code on each release, chipping pfs, and some of the other junk they put out and deemed acceptable.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

nothing wrong with holding a company accountable for their failures and expecting things to be fixed/improved.

Can't disagree with you so far, which must mean you haven't finished talking ...

Quoted from Whysnow:

We dont all have to gobble everything they do up with vigor like you do. Honestly if we all lapped it up like you do

ah, there's the Whysnow we've come to know and love, keepin' it respectful as usual.

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

nothing wrong with holding a company accountable for their failures and expecting things to be fixed/improved. We dont all have to gobble everything they do up with vigor like you do. Honestly if we all lapped it up like you do, then I imagine we would still be getting poor code on each release, chipping pfs, and some of the other junk they put out and deemed acceptable.

Remember someone gobbled up and gaged a lot vigor on skit B highway sausage. Just sayin’

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

then I imagine we would still be getting poor code on each release, chipping pfs, and some of the other junk they put out and deemed acceptable.

Stern has made mistakes, as humans do.
    They have tried to correct and learn from them, while still remaining a profitable company.
    I support them because I enjoy playing (most of) their machines, and the games they make provide a good part of my income as well.
    You like to crap on them, and call out every mistake that they have ever made, using ANY chance to do so...
    Then waffle and be first in line to take support and prizes, anything you can get, launch party on!
    You'll probly sit around at the launch, ragging any perceived fault you can find on the early code, badmouthing the company that provided prizes and support for your tournament.
    ...Don't forget to collect that IFPA dollar....

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

only stating the facts maam

LOL if you want to only state the facts you should start with the fact JJP can barely get a game out. Fact two one more $500 price increase may be the end of JJP.Fact 3 the only hit they have had sold most under $7500. JJP downfall will be price not quality

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

Or a shaw brothers pin.

Man, a Shaw bros pin would be stellar...get some Gordon Liu action with some dubbed words not matching up with moving lips...love this idea!

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

LOL if you want to only state the facts you should start with the fact JJP can barely get a game out. Fact two one more $500 price increase may be the end of JJP.Fact 3 the only hit they have had sold most under $7500. JJP downfall will be price not quality

What does JJP have to do with this thread?

We all get it, you don't like JJP, do you have to tell us about it in every thread?

You also seem to have no clue what actually constitutes a fact.

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from RJW:

What does JJP have to do with this thread?
    We all get it, you don't like JJP, do you have to tell us about it in every thread?
    You also seem to have no clue what actually constitutes a fact.

I would have been happy to stay on topic but my response was to a off topic post "I will take one with:
    a bash toy that spits balls SDTM
    splitting cabs with no corner brackets
    ghosting inserts
    failing node boards that lack schematics and are unobtanium in 24 months
    chipping playfields
    design flaws that require immediate fixes and added protectors
    recycled code from lonnie
    large sculptures that dont interact with the game but block you view
    intermittently weak flippers
    an orbit that always dumps to the pops
    inserts that never get coded
    poorly done call outs with the same hillbilly voice from twd and the sparky/jacky dude
    yup, that should about cover it " one dumb ass off topic post deserves an other

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from tl54hill:

Godzilla
    Rodan
    Anguirus
    Zilla
    King Caesar
    Kamacuras
    Kumonga
    Manda
    Ebirah
    Gigan
    Mothra
    Minilla
    Hedorah
    Varan
    Baragon
    Gaira
    Gezora
    Titanosaurus
    Megaguirus
    Fake Godzilla
    Godzilla Junior

The only one missing is Varan, who did have his own movie. Dude gets no respect.

The "big" 4 are Gman, Rodan, Mothera, and Ghidrah. I'm sure any pin would be focused on the new movie and those 4 creatures. Even if they did a LE and take it back to the "classics" like WWE, they could use the two original movies that included those 4. (Ghidrah the Three Headed Monster, and Godzilla vs. Monster Zero).

#79 5 years ago

Don't forget Godzuki!Godzuki (resized).jpgGodzuki (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

2 months later
    #80 5 years ago

Any new speculation on this one? This is a theme for which I may well hold a spot open in my space-limited lineup.

#81 5 years ago

Blue Öyster Cult on the soundtrack, kudasai:

#82 5 years ago

godzilla throughout the years ! but 1960's godzilla is my fave ! destroy all monsters would be the modes

godzilla (resized).jpggodzilla (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #83 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zennmaster:

Any new speculation on this one? This is a theme for which I may well hold a spot open in my space-limited lineup.

They took the license because they knew Spooky wanted it but very little chance they will make it.

#84 5 years ago

Hope they make it. Dont waste the license...

#85 5 years ago

Charlie spoke that he knew who the designer at Stern is who is working on it, so it's being made.

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Charlie spoke that he knew who the designer at Stern is who is working on it, so it's being made.

Because he has a good working relationship with them, right?

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

They took the license because they knew Spooky wanted it but very little chance they will make it.

Seems like a lot of money to spend just to bury the competition... I also heard Gorge Gomez give an interview in which he essentially denied that this was what they did. Maybe he's lying...

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from RustyLizard:

Because he has a good working relationship with them, right?

I'm just going off of interviews Charlie has given, but he said he gets along with everyone at Stern except 1 person.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I'm just going off of interviews Charlie has given, but he said he gets along with everyone at Stern except 1 person.

Pinball is a small world. Most people get along, but there are just a few dicks that mess it up and make it less fun for everyone. Stern certainly has one of those aformention dicks.

8 months later
    #91 4 years ago

Likely Godzilla license was secured as to not compete with Jurassic Park

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

But will it say "You just kicked Godzilla's ass" ?
    I almost bought Sega Godzilla for the second time, but all I had to do was start a game and listen to a few callouts to realize that wasn't a great idea. But it was a good shooting, fun playing game while I had it.

It deserves the pinsound treatment

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

L O L

Like spooky would be shipping Godzilla by now?
    Also, there aren't many good to great pinball themes left! Can't blame Stern for grabbing what they can.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

False, it was secured because they knew Spooky wanted it. Most of the other companies will work together, ship games overseas together, etc. Stern just does there thing and tries to smash the "competition" when possible. This was an attempt to smash Spooky. Again, there are great people working at Stern. I own Stern machines and like them, but a few employees in their company seem to try to make pinball less fun.

Quoted from HighProtein:

Like spooky would be shipping Godzilla by now?

I think that's a fair statement. We know 2019 is Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle and after that we'll have Haunted House Party (?). Maybe they would have had this jump the line, but I have to assume Charlie would want to do Godzilla himself. Would he want to be the lead designer on two games in a row? At the earliest it seems like it would have been a target for 2021.

#95 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

Most of the other companies will work together, ship games overseas together, etc.

I'd be interested to hear more about how the other companies are cooperating/collaborating. Doesn't relate to the specific practice of snagging licenses you don't plan to produce to jam the competition (if that's what actually happened here), but I hadn't seen a ton of stories about JJP/CGC/Spooky/American working together. Joint international shipping would make sense for smaller manufacturers that cannot fill a container on their own, but were there other examples?

1 week later
    #96 4 years ago
    Quoted from jonesjb:

I see your point but how does a 65 year old dinosaur theme really threaten a 25 year old one?

I guess we should just be happy that we are living in a time with so many dinosaur pinball themes to choose from.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I see your point but how does a 65 year old dinosaur theme really threaten a 25 year old one?
    I guess we should just be happy that we are living in a time with so many dinosaur pinball themes to choose from.

Yep. Just speculation, likely wrong.

#98 4 years ago

It was good speculation though.

I would have much rather seen a Toho Godzilla game myself than a repeat.

But give the majority of people what they want seems to be the rule of thumb as long as it is profitable.

#99 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It was good speculation though.
    I would have much rather seen a Toho Godzilla game myself than a repeat.
    But give the majority of people what they want seems to be the rule of thumb as long as it is profitable.

Hey Criterion thought highly enough of them they made it their 1000th release. Clearly people still love the big guy. Hell my sole buy at Allentown outside of the motzrella sticks and mountain dew or the one coffee was a King of the Monsters silkscreen print

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Because it might not be based on a 65 year old monster...it might be based on Godzilla vs. King Kong which is coming next year...

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/toho-godzilla-speculation-thread-pole-included/page/2?hl=rustylizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.