Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

jenna_marbles_2_million_(resized).jpg
    sharpie_touchup_(resized).jpg
    pinball_off_roof_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago

TV is overrated. You can get more viewers on Youtube if you put in the effort.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Problem is there is little money to be made on Youtube, whereas a reality show presumably would be paying them reasonably well. My problem with it is that with his Youtube channel Todd & Company can all be themselves and do whatever they want. Once it becomes a reality show the network will dictate what happens. We already see that in the samples where he's doing stuff he normally wouldn't do just to appease the networks. I like TNT and have bought stuff from them, but I'd prefer they just stuck to Youtube, unless the payout for a reality show is just so great that they can't resist.

There is money in Youtube. There are a lot of Youtubers who make a living with 500,000 to a million subscribers. Pewdiepie, the most popular Youtuber made $7.4 million from Youtube in 2014. If you put in the time to have a scheduled video come out consistently at a certain time, and you take the time to engage with your audience, success will come.

Youtube is also the place where you'll bring in a new audience to pinball not T.V. In 2015, 96% of 13-24 year olds watched 11 hours or more of online media compared with 81% who watched 8 hours a week. This audience wouldn't mean much to pinball sales but if you're looking for a new audience to bring to pinball, this would be the place. Nintendo has done it for years. If you target a young audience, you will have customers for life.

I know for me personally as a 32 year old, I don't watch any T.V. anymore unless I go to my parents or certain friends. When I do watch it, I'm frustrated by the amount of commercials and lack of content I'm interested in. Reality shows are the worst and I agree with some that say they are about personalities and not what the content is about.

#47 8 years ago

People always mention Pewdiepie, but he is a 0.00001%'er. The vast majority of people make little to nothing on Youtube. Todd himself has said as much, as have others that have 500k+ subscribers and I myself even with close to a million views on my Youtube videos can see the ad numbers and it's pennies. Even if my views went up 100x I would still not be able to make a living off that ad revenue, it's peanuts. Youtube is not for making money, it's primarily for promotion which is how I use it and how Todd currently uses it. By getting on Youtube you will as you say capture new audiences who then may eventually buy something from you or discover you and your products, and of course it makes you come up on google searches more often which likewise can lead to future fans and sales. But as far as making a living from Youtube ad revenue, that's a total pipe dream. It's like when people say you can make a living making phone apps and they mention Candy Crush as their example, same thing that's a 0.000001%'er case. It's been well documented there as well that the vast majority do not many any money on apps, same with Youtube. That's how they were so easily able to go ahead with their Youtube Red concept, because 99.99999% of people on Youtube make no ad money anyways, so Google offering a no ad version of Youtube met with little to no resistance since they just had to appease the 0.000001% that actually do make ad revenue there.

Pewdiepie is just an example of what is possible if someone puts in the effort. For a long time, he released 2 videos a day which is a ton of work. He also engages his audience through Twitter, Facebook and other social media. There are at least a dozen more Youtubers I could name that make a living off of Youtube and that doesn't only include ad revenue of course but sales of merch, sponsorship deals, and other sources of income.

Todd puts in a lot of work for his channel but I think his channel has probably topped out in terms of viewership. It will continue to grow with pinball as a whole but his channel supplies a need for those within the community and people who are just entering the community and that won't translate to explosive growth.

I'd say the biggest reward from his channel is probably the expansion of his business's presence on the internet. I know I've thought about buying from him before and may eventually.

#49 8 years ago

Yeah, more often than not now when you google the name of a pinball machine one of his Youtube videos will come up in the search list on the first page. That's gold for promotion! It's definitely worth being on Youtube and I think the way he has done it is brilliant, it should be bringing him many new customers. I mean heck that's how I found him, I had never heard of TNT before seeing them on Youtube.

I would say he was my reintroduction to pinball. I went to a show and a couple of arcades, googled some machines and started to watch his videos. I don't watch every one he releases nowadays but if something interesting comes up, I'll check it out. I'm still eyeing one of his machines in his inventory.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dmbjunky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/todd-tucky-pinball-reality-tv-show?tu=dmbjunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.