3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jenna_marbles_2_million_(resized).jpg
    sharpie_touchup_(resized).jpg
    pinball_off_roof_(resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from Code_Blue:

He's been trying for years, but still hasn't figured out that reality tv is about the personalities and storylines, not dry game and repair info.

Maybe clean shirts with collars would help also, you are trying to sell something on TV that millions of people all over the world will see. Need to step it up a bit.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from cycloneJoe:

Todd is an A-hole, totally rude and hung up on me when I called him for my 1st pinball.

I'm about 2 yrs in the hobby now.....besides to roof thing...these are the first ill words towards Todd I've heard........Joey

#53 3 years ago

He has done a lot for our hobby, I hope he gets what he wants. That could be said for a lot of others as well of course. I am in favor of almost anything that promotes or enhances our hobby and draws new blood to pinball.

#54 3 years ago
    Quoted from cycloneJoe:

Todd is an A-hole, totally rude and hung up on me when I called him for my 1st pinball.

Todd always has and still is great for this hobby and as already noted those are the first ill words I have heard towards Todd and I have been in this hobby since 1996.

#55 3 years ago

I love the roof videos. They never fail to make me laugh. As many junk pins as hit the dumpsters over the years, at least Todd does something fun with them before dumping termite infested games THAT HE HAS TRIED AND CAN'T EVEN GIVE AWAY.

As for the show, I think the Youtube channel is better than nothing. Not sure why people still think there could ever be a pinball related TV show on a real network? It will never happen. American Pickers or the South Park rape scene are the closest we will ever get.

#56 3 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

Maybe clean shirts with collars would help also, you are trying to sell something on TV that millions of people all over the world will see. Need to step it up a bit.

+1

Since its TV personal appearance is a big part of it, swap current Todd out for a younger version of Todd with a sharp appearance and it would greatly help his chances.

The world is cruel, looks come first in the entertainment business and if you are good looking more doors open up for you. I bet Jack Danger and Dead Flip wouldn't be working on this TV show project if they were Todd's age.

I'm sure Todd really wants his own reality show but I think its best if they keep it on youtube. Reality shows turn you against your friends and love ones and typically ruin marriages because you have producers asking everyone "How did you feel when [who] did [that] to you" day after day and you eventually end up resenting that person. Not to mention the loss of 100% control of your work place.

#57 3 years ago

He should just change his name to Toddiepie!

#58 3 years ago

Man, tons of hate on my last comment. I was being sarcastic!

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

Man, tons of hate on my last comment. I was being sarcastic!

I guess some folks don't like any mention of someone not liking someone tossing pins off a roof

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I guess some folks don't like any mention of someone not liking someone tossing pins off a roof

I will keep that in mind.

For the record, I have always enjoyed Todd's videos. I will frequently look them up when researching a game I have not spent much time with.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

For the record, I have always enjoyed Todd's videos. I will frequently look them up when researching a game I have not spent much time with.

Yup, same here.

#62 3 years ago
    Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

I'm about 2 yrs in the hobby now.....besides to roof thing...these are the first ill words towards Todd I've heard........Joey

Maybe I caught him on a bad day but all I was doing was asking questions about purchasing a cyclone and if there was any upgrades that could be done to it, I guess I asked too many questions cuz he said don't ever bother us again and hung up on me. I was gonna buy the cyclone from him so I don't know what his problem was.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from cycloneJoe:

Maybe I caught him on a bad day but all I was doing was asking questions about purchasing a cyclone and if there was any upgrades that could be done to it, I guess I asked too many questions cuz he said don't ever bother us again and hung up on me. I was gonna buy the cyclone from him so I don't know what his problem was.

Are you the guy that was looking for a Sea Wolf?

#64 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Are you the guy that was looking for a Sea Wolf?

Lol, nope

#65 3 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

since they just had to appease the 0.000001% that actually do make ad revenue there.

You are saying only one out of a hundred million YouTube posters make money?

ProTip: don't post made-up statistics. Try "few."

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You are saying only one out of a hundred million YouTube posters make money?
    ProTip: don't post made-up statistics. Try "few."

I didn't use "few" because that doesn't adequately describe how small the percentage of people making a living off youtube ad revenue actually is. Hence my percentage figuring that would get the point across better, thought that was obvious but I guess some took it literally.

#67 3 years ago

Youtube is not for making money

For most people no. But here's a list of what some of the top people make:

Jenna marbles makes 2 million/year just for making silly videos that most of us can make, but most of us aren't hot girls in their late 20's with a big following

jenna_marbles_2_million_(resized).jpg

#68 3 years ago

I guess some took it literally.

Yeah, my bad, but if you don't actually know "how small the percentage," I'd rather see a realistic made up number, say 0.01%. The whole "0.[random number of zeroes]1%" paradigm just bugs me, as every zero is another order of magnitude and ignoring that ignores having any meaning.

I'm kind of a math geek!

2 weeks later
    #69 3 years ago

Not enough viewing audience for pinball reality show. Pinball to limited in numbers to demand commercial dollar's. You also need drama and a problem an audience can identify with. Where's the drama in pinball, I blew a fuse? I missed high score by a million!
    I like Todd's video's, but it's not pawn stars, and that's barely watchable.

#70 3 years ago

I'd be glad to see more pinball on TV.

Also, wanted to chime in on the whole "making money from YouTube" discussion. A handful of people here know I'm a musician with a (somewhat size-able) YouTube channel - 75k Subscribers and 4 Million views. (Not saying this to sound cool, just sharing to give legitimate insight).

I won't go too deep into this, but Todd's comment was correct. Unless you're getting at least a million views per video, there's no money from ad revenue worthwhile on the platform.

I'm lucky enough to have done collab videos with some top music YouTubers, and my total view count in videos I've done with them on their channels actually adds up to about 40 million views. So I literally know first hand that even with that many views, the money from advertising specifically just isn't anything crazy.

Now, what YouTube IS great for is building an audience, as well as working directly with company sponsorship (ad placement/reviews). So the real opportunity is also in Todd continuing to grow his channel, and then using his viewership from there to potentially catch the attention of a cable channel.

Best of luck to him no matter what, the more quality pinball content on YouTube the better!

#71 3 years ago

I agree, Todd is a true showman. I started watching Todd's videos and migrated to GRC's videos for the tech tips. Ray and Mike/Matt have established themselves as a treat to watch as well. To anyone's question of "would people watch such a thing?": Do millions upon millions tune in to watch guys fish for crab? Overall it would be good for pinball. When the demand goes up, so follows the supply.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from Soop:

migrated to GRC's videos for the tech tips. Ray and Matt have established themselves as a treat to watch as well.

I love ray, Matt has toned down a bit finally.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love ray, Matt has toned down a bit finally.

Yep, Ray is awesome! Mike/Matt was really cool helping me find an old Bally wireform. Maybe a show would work with Todd & GRC as rival pin-shops.

#74 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Not enough viewing audience for pinball reality show. Pinball to limited in numbers ...

I agree with this. Success of a show is mostly about the characters anyway. Personally I think that if someone did come up with a viable show centered around pinball, the network buying the show would say something like: "ok we love the show and characters, now just swap out pinball for *anything else* and we will buy it".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 85.00
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 9.95
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 44.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Forever
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    $ 29.95
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 4.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Multigame
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside