New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150302)

Todd Tucky pinball reality tv show?

By Peppers

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 74 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by John_I
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jenna_marbles_2_million_(resized).jpg
    sharpie_touchup_(resized).jpg
    pinball_off_roof_(resized).jpg

There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hi guys, I think it is a great idea, what are your thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

We already get to see him in action on his videos. Does not get much more real than that!

#3 4 years ago

This is more of the American pickers type slant, they are trying to get a network to buy into it.

#4 4 years ago

I'd DVR it

#5 4 years ago

Not horrible.

#7 4 years ago

I'm a Todd fan.

#8 4 years ago

Not sure I can promote something that tosses a pin off a roof. Even if it is a Street Fighter.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

Not sure I can promote something that tosses a pin off a roof. Even if it is a Street Fighter.

It was back in the early 2000s when no one wanted them ... heck no one still really wants them titles lol. Plus they were likely water damaged and who knows what else bc you just dont throw money away .

#10 4 years ago

They should have kept Alex, wow

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

They should have kept Alex, wow

I was gonna say the same thing lol

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

It's time to get over this. They were junked pins anyways.

#13 4 years ago

Can't believe Todd threw all those perfectly shitty & rotten pins, that he owned, off his own roof. He's dead to me now.

#14 4 years ago

I enjoy his videos. He's a funny guy. One of the few Youtube channels I subscribe to. That one and the one where cats do cat things.

#15 4 years ago

I kinda liked the first and second previews of the show, but the last preview was just toe-curling. It's a shame that so-called "reality" shows nowadays are no longer based on reality, but need hyperactive music and editing, actors, (over)acting, extra curse words, "characters" and what not.

There is potential here, but if it's anything like that last preview, I'll just stick to their YouTube channel

Salvage Hunters for example is a show that finds the right balance.

#16 4 years ago

It actually broke my heart when I saw that Street Fighter tossed off the roof but I got over it! No matter what Todd does he's definitely going to make it interesting!

#17 4 years ago

I'd watch it. Heck, if a bunch of annoying wealthy ladies can have a show about them complaining about their opulent lifestyles and who didn't show up to their dinner parties (I'm looking at you, 'Desperate' Housewives), then an honest man working hard to preserve a little slice of American history should be fair game for a station to pick up!

#18 4 years ago

Last week I saw a reality show about fish tanks. If they can have a show about fish tanks, we can have a pinball show.

#19 4 years ago

The one thing that would worry me about a show devoted to arcade equipment is (and I know that I'm being very selfish here, please forgive me), is that it would raise the demand for games, push prices up, and make it harder and more expensive to collect for.

The flip side of that argument, however, would be that it would bring more demand to vendors, liven up the industry, and give it a MUCH needed boost.

#20 4 years ago

TV is overrated. You can get more viewers on Youtube if you put in the effort.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's crazy to me that you are absolutely correct.

Although I believe the real value of TV, is you get new eyeballs that will discover your show just because it happens to be on.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

Nobody asked you to promote anything. His property, his roof, our entertainment, so what? You think he got rich by throwing away ANYTHING somebody wanted? He sells shitty old scratched up PF glass for $5 and people come and buy it.

Next time you are watching a Letterman show, a movie or TV show or some 1950's John Wayne western, and some bad guy gets tossed off a roof, walk out or turn it off. You can't promote that sort of thing.

#23 4 years ago

Anything that's good for pinball, I'm all for it and Todd has been great for this hobby so I'd like to see it work.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Although I believe the real value of TV, is you get new eyeballs that will discover your show just because it happens to be on.

This is true. If he ran his youtube channel with actual episodes documenting his actual "tomfoolery" (sorry for that word), then I really do think he could be successful with the channel. Right now, it's used to document the restorations and act as free advertisement.

#25 4 years ago

He has been trying for about 10 years now to get this show going. If nobody has been interested yet it most likely will never happen. He has redone the pilot a few times over the years and still no takers.

I think people are finally getting sick of the over the top characters and obviously made up drama. Even Pawn Stars this year has gotten back to focusing on the items and stories behind them and not stupid crap with Chumlee all the time. Every damn week he would do something like stealing money from Rick's desk and doing it again even after getting caught and in the end it was always 'Oh well, that is just Chum'. Cut out all the bullcrap.

#26 4 years ago

I guess if you guys want to see prices go even higher on stuff, sure, ok.

#27 4 years ago

I think it would make a good show. Better than that trailer for a bunch of flippers in Dallas.

#28 4 years ago

There must be a reason they haven't sold the show idea yet.. I enjoy watching the TNT videos, however, I don't see how the masses would find this entertaining to watch. Unless they focus on the buying/selling/hunting, restoring, bantering. Probably should leave out anything too technical; the general public probably doesn't care.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

There must be a reason they haven't sold the show idea yet.. I enjoy watching the TNT videos, however, I don't see how the masses would find this entertaining to watch. Unless they focus on the buying/selling/hunting, restoring, bantering. Probably should leave out anything too technical; the general public probably doesn't care.

Came here to say just this. He has a great youtube channel and gets a nice little check from them for the views he brings in, but there's just no market for a real TV show. At least this way he has full creative control and can throw in as many stupid gags as he wants.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

Know the facts. Most of those were rodent infested, cat pissed in and water damaged games. I had a whole conversation with him on this at Allentown a couple years back.
    He's a good dude and fun to talk with.

#31 4 years ago

Reality shows are garbage and are all cut from the same cloth. I think Todd's YouTube channel is great in that there's no bull@#$t. You know if they turn it into a reality show they're going to have to follow the formula and insert all this fabricated drama and change the delivery.

#32 4 years ago

He's plugging this video again? As much respect that I've gained watching his videos over the years and hear him talk about early vending route days, these 2 photos still speak volumes about his business.

pinball_off_roof_(resized).jpg

sharpie_touchup_(resized).jpg

#33 4 years ago

I pretty sure its safe to say....Todd's contributions to the pinball world...heavily outweigh his stunt of tossing a couple of junked machines off his roof. I personally would love to see a show focused on restorations, history, and finds in the pinball world. Prices have already increased without the help of any reality shows now. At this point....if a pinball show got picked up by a network (that was not about flipping) I believe we would see more pinball/arcade items pop up for sale.

I'm totally in....Todd has great content on his Youtube channel.

#34 4 years ago

Todd is hilarious

I enjoy his videos and chatting when he's at Allentown

If he had a TV show I would set the DVR

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from MArmour:

Make sure to watch the end of the This Old Pinball videos

#36 4 years ago

Whats the big uproar about trashing some shitty cabs by throwing them off a building? I guess I missed something...

#37 4 years ago

One one hand, I think it would be cool to see Todd on a national tv show. On the other, I see the cost of pins going even further through the roof.

#38 4 years ago

He's been trying for years, but still hasn't figured out that reality tv is about the personalities and storylines, not dry game and repair info.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Whats the big uproar about trashing some shitty cabs by throwing them off a building? I guess I missed something...

The footage was first shown a few years ago without much explanation as to their condition. Some folks thought (and still think) they could have been salvaged instead of just tossed off a roof. And every time the footage gets recycled, there's a small uproar about it.

As a result, the original video with that clip in it was deleted. But, every once in a while, Todd reuses the clip in other videos.

Either way, I still wince every time I see that footage resurface.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The footage was first shown a few years ago without any explanation as to their condition. Some folks thought (and still think) they could have been salvaged instead of just tossed off a roof. And every time the footage gets recycled, there's a small uproar about it.
    As a result, the original video with that clip in it was deleted. But, every once in a while, Todd reuses it in other videos.
    Either way, I still wince every time I see that footage resurface.

ok, at least now I get why some are upset...thanks

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Problem is there is little money to be made on Youtube, whereas a reality show presumably would be paying them reasonably well. My problem with it is that with his Youtube channel Todd & Company can all be themselves and do whatever they want. Once it becomes a reality show the network will dictate what happens. We already see that in the samples where he's doing stuff he normally wouldn't do just to appease the networks. I like TNT and have bought stuff from them, but I'd prefer they just stuck to Youtube, unless the payout for a reality show is just so great that they can't resist.

#42 4 years ago

I watch all of Todd's videos, and enjoy them - but I think the 'reality tv show' attempts are a mistake. What we see in Todd's YouTube videos is of course to a large extent 'set up', but it does all take place in a genuine working environment, with real staff and real work going on. Any such reality would be lost with a 'reality' tv show, as the clips from his several attempts prove. Quite likely his staff would soon become very tired of acting out the requirements of such a show while trying to get the work done, and the potential themes are, for a general audience, limited. I hope he sticks to the YouTube videos.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Problem is there is little money to be made on Youtube, whereas a reality show presumably would be paying them reasonably well. My problem with it is that with his Youtube channel Todd & Company can all be themselves and do whatever they want. Once it becomes a reality show the network will dictate what happens. We already see that in the samples where he's doing stuff he normally wouldn't do just to appease the networks. I like TNT and have bought stuff from them, but I'd prefer they just stuck to Youtube, unless the payout for a reality show is just so great that they can't resist.

There is money in Youtube. There are a lot of Youtubers who make a living with 500,000 to a million subscribers. Pewdiepie, the most popular Youtuber made $7.4 million from Youtube in 2014. If you put in the time to have a scheduled video come out consistently at a certain time, and you take the time to engage with your audience, success will come.

Youtube is also the place where you'll bring in a new audience to pinball not T.V. In 2015, 96% of 13-24 year olds watched 11 hours or more of online media compared with 81% who watched 8 hours a week. This audience wouldn't mean much to pinball sales but if you're looking for a new audience to bring to pinball, this would be the place. Nintendo has done it for years. If you target a young audience, you will have customers for life.

I know for me personally as a 32 year old, I don't watch any T.V. anymore unless I go to my parents or certain friends. When I do watch it, I'm frustrated by the amount of commercials and lack of content I'm interested in. Reality shows are the worst and I agree with some that say they are about personalities and not what the content is about.

#44 4 years ago

Thank you all for your support! In regards to the payment from the channel from YouTube, from 2010 to mid 2014, I had the "ads" feature turned off. I always found it annoying to have to click the ad box to remove it, or wait the 6 seconds to "skip" the ad. So all our videos would simply start with no previews or boxes of ads in the video you could turn off.
    However, I was convinced by others to try the ads to try to get a little $ back for all the time and effort to edit the videos. I am happy to announce we got our largest check last month of $125 (from all 1105 videos I have up on YouTube). So unless a video goes viral, there is VERY little income to be had here!
    Having a reality show would allow us to give our guys extra pay for each episode to keep them happy! And of course, it would be neat to have something like this on worldwide TV. But, if it doesn't happen, that's the way it is! I have at least several hundred hours of programming now up on YouTube now for all to enjoy as it is. And it seems that most appreciate the time and energy it takes to put these up.

Thanks again to all the folks who do like watching the videos...we will continue posting them! Todd N. Tuckey

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

There is money in Youtube. There are a lot of Youtubers who make a living with 500,000 to a million subscribers. Pewdiepie, the most popular Youtuber made $7.4 million from Youtube in 2014. If you put in the time to have a scheduled video come out consistently at a certain time, and you take the time to engage with your audience, success will come.
    Youtube is also the place where you'll bring in a new audience to pinball not T.V. In 2015, 96% of 13-24 year olds watched 11 hours or more of online media compared with 81% who watched 8 hours a week. This audience wouldn't mean much to pinball sales but if you're looking for a new audience to bring to pinball, this would be the place. Nintendo has done it for years. If you target a young audience, you will have customers for life.
    I know for me personally as a 32 year old, I don't watch any T.V. anymore unless I go to my parents or certain friends. When I do watch it, I'm frustrated by the amount of commercials and lack of content I'm interested in. Reality shows are the worst and I agree with some that say they are about personalities and not what the content is about.

People always mention Pewdiepie, but he is a 0.00001%'er. The vast majority of people make little to nothing on Youtube. Todd himself has said as much, as have others that have 500k+ subscribers and I myself even with close to a million views on my Youtube videos can see the ad numbers and it's pennies. Even if my views went up 100x I would still not be able to make a living off that ad revenue, it's peanuts. Youtube is not for making money, it's primarily for promotion which is how I use it and how Todd currently uses it. By getting on Youtube you will as you say capture new audiences who then may eventually buy something from you or discover you and your products, and of course it makes you come up on google searches more often which likewise can lead to future fans and sales. But as far as making a living from Youtube ad revenue, that's a total pipe dream. It's like when people say you can make a living making phone apps and they mention Candy Crush as their example, same thing that's a 0.000001%'er case. It's been well documented there as well that the vast majority do not many any money on apps, same with Youtube. That's how they were so easily able to go ahead with their Youtube Red concept, because 99.99999% of people on Youtube make no ad money anyways, so Google offering a no ad version of Youtube met with little to no resistance since they just had to appease the 0.000001% that actually do make ad revenue there.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Having a reality show would allow us to give our guys extra pay for each episode to keep them happy! And of course, it would be neat to have something like this on worldwide TV. But, if it doesn't happen, that's the way it is! I have at least several hundred hours of programming now up on YouTube now for all to enjoy as it is. And it seems that most appreciate the time and energy it takes to put these up.

Hey Todd, I'll say this much, you aren't the first person to be approached to make a reality show based on pinball. I won't mention any names, but there are two things to be very wary of. First is that these people will seem nice at first, but they will silently in the background try to antagonize your workers to create fake drama and riffs between your staff. Second, they will outright lie to get what they want including really skewing how things look in the final product. I know a few people that have been involved in such things and it's a *very* dirty business. Most regret it because they were outright deceived and the final product was rigged to make them look bad in the name of selling commercial time.

Anyways I like your channel and watch it regularly, I'd hate for you to get caught up in the reality show business in the name of a buck, so just be careful and look at your contracts *very* carefully! In the meantime I hope you can finish up my Crystal Castles, Defender and Millipede machines because I'm gonna have a stroke!

#47 4 years ago

People always mention Pewdiepie, but he is a 0.00001%'er. The vast majority of people make little to nothing on Youtube. Todd himself has said as much, as have others that have 500k+ subscribers and I myself even with close to a million views on my Youtube videos can see the ad numbers and it's pennies. Even if my views went up 100x I would still not be able to make a living off that ad revenue, it's peanuts. Youtube is not for making money, it's primarily for promotion which is how I use it and how Todd currently uses it. By getting on Youtube you will as you say capture new audiences who then may eventually buy something from you or discover you and your products, and of course it makes you come up on google searches more often which likewise can lead to future fans and sales. But as far as making a living from Youtube ad revenue, that's a total pipe dream. It's like when people say you can make a living making phone apps and they mention Candy Crush as their example, same thing that's a 0.000001%'er case. It's been well documented there as well that the vast majority do not many any money on apps, same with Youtube. That's how they were so easily able to go ahead with their Youtube Red concept, because 99.99999% of people on Youtube make no ad money anyways, so Google offering a no ad version of Youtube met with little to no resistance since they just had to appease the 0.000001% that actually do make ad revenue there.

Pewdiepie is just an example of what is possible if someone puts in the effort. For a long time, he released 2 videos a day which is a ton of work. He also engages his audience through Twitter, Facebook and other social media. There are at least a dozen more Youtubers I could name that make a living off of Youtube and that doesn't only include ad revenue of course but sales of merch, sponsorship deals, and other sources of income.

Todd puts in a lot of work for his channel but I think his channel has probably topped out in terms of viewership. It will continue to grow with pinball as a whole but his channel supplies a need for those within the community and people who are just entering the community and that won't translate to explosive growth.

I'd say the biggest reward from his channel is probably the expansion of his business's presence on the internet. I know I've thought about buying from him before and may eventually.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'd say the biggest reward from his channel is probably the expansion of his business's presence on the internet. I know I've thought about buying from him before and may eventually.

Yeah, more often than not now when you google the name of a pinball machine one of his Youtube videos will come up in the search list on the first page. That's gold for promotion! It's definitely worth being on Youtube and I think the way he has done it is brilliant, it should be bringing him many new customers. I mean heck that's how I found him, I had never heard of TNT before seeing them on Youtube.

#49 4 years ago

Yeah, more often than not now when you google the name of a pinball machine one of his Youtube videos will come up in the search list on the first page. That's gold for promotion! It's definitely worth being on Youtube and I think the way he has done it is brilliant, it should be bringing him many new customers. I mean heck that's how I found him, I had never heard of TNT before seeing them on Youtube.

I would say he was my reintroduction to pinball. I went to a show and a couple of arcades, googled some machines and started to watch his videos. I don't watch every one he releases nowadays but if something interesting comes up, I'll check it out. I'm still eyeing one of his machines in his inventory.

#50 4 years ago

Todd is an [deleted], totally rude and hung up on me when I called him for my 1st pinball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.95
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 12.95
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 29.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    The GameRoom Store
    $ 3.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 76.00
    $ 72.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    There are 74 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside