Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 653 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Nihonmasa
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C18C990-D2AF-48C0-B5B6-0A691DCD6CEC (resized).jpeg
    E774538D-69BA-440A-BC2A-3777319149A7 (resized).jpeg
    BE970EE4-5AD1-44A4-97A8-50B1AEC0122F (resized).jpeg
    DA28598C-BAF5-4DBF-84C9-988A1BD7D7CC (resized).jpeg
    20190218_090605 (resized).jpg
    ss_5d0f152e39a71758569eca2d816bd06175d89e89 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0413 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    C36F0504-1E11-4939-9395-AF203D733F0F (resized).png
    Ace (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-11-28-08-54-26 (resized).png
    Vol2 (resized).JPG
    Hang Out Todd Tuckey (resized).jpg
    tnt (resized).jpg
    514495B8-0957-47F5-B65A-9972EF23CBB6 (resized).jpeg
    PPS-MADDOGL.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.
    #51 5 years ago

I sat down and read the book from cover-to-cover last night and have some thoughts, some good and some bad. I will buy just about any book about pinball so this was an easy order for me even with the $30 price. I will just bullet point some thoughts, I don't have the book in front of me but will try to do it from memory.

* The paper is almost newsprint like, very thin and both non-spine corners on my copy were crumpled from mailing.

* I am not sure who wrote what in this book. At Pinball Expo I talked with Todd and was under the impression that he was writing a series of ten books but there is no author on the cover and on the copyright page it lists three writers with Todd being the third listed. None of the chapters are attributed to any particular author, some you can tell are Todd and others are not. Even the preface is not credited.

* There are three authors credited and three listed editors, two of which are also credited as writers (Todd was not listed as an editor). I am not sure if they did any actual traditional editing but I would guess the most they did was to proof read each others work for major mistakes. What I mean by this is that there are not a lot of spelling mistakes but there are sentence structure issues, incorrect use of words, and paragraphs that could be reworked for clarity or deleted all together.

* Each of the featured pins has its own chapter with photos of the tables, a copy of the flyer or advertisement and maybe a close-up of a particularly cool item. The actual layout of each chapter is pretty nice. Tables are grouped by manufacturer and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which machines were featured in this first book. Only one EM was included and the rest of the tables seemed to be chosen almost at random.

* I am conflicted on who this book is targeted at. With Todd's laid-back humor I thought this would be a great series of books for casual fans of pinball for cool stories and interesting tidbits about the machines. What I got instead was a book aimed at the hardcore pinball fan with little narrative flow or logical progression through the tables. Take the very first table as an example, Atari's giant sized Hercules. I know about this table and you know about this table and what it is and how it is unique. Unfortunately the chapter starts not with a description of the machine and what makes it unique from a players point of view but it instead talks about how Atari had the insides of their pinball machines laid out with the boards on the bottom of the cabinet and the issues it brought for operators. After two-thirds of the first page talking about this issue it is then revealed that Hercules fixed this issue and the reader is left wondering why it was even included. Further on into the chapter it starts to talk about the unique qualities of the machine but the flow of the chapter is all over the place. It almost feels like someone recorded a panel with Todd talking about different machines and just transcribed the talk without reformatting the information in a readable format. This is why I mentioned about that the editors did not seem to do much actual editing and this chapter could have been reworked into a much better reading format with a little effort.

* Some chapters are really nice with a good flow and interesting information. Others are just a page or two about suggested maintenance to the machine, you never know what you are getting from one chapter to the next. Sometimes even within one chapter it gets conflicting. Amazon Hunt from Gottlieb is one that sticks out as being described differently within the same chapter. Some of the machine talk about production numbers that conflict with the number stated on the splash page for the machine, I think Amazon Hunt was one where the text states they sold around 400 units and the splash showed a much larger number.

* Even though the book is 230 pages, the stories make up less than 2/3 of the book and the rest is pinball maintenance articles, a brief history of pinball, brief looks at each companies history and some other small features. I would have started with the brief history and then put each companies history section prior to the machines featured from that company. The rest of the special features could have been used to break up the groupings of manufacturers to make a more pleasant reading layout.

* When Todd talks about his experiences with customers and the general life of buying, selling and repairing pinball machines that is where the book really shines and you are left wanting more of that and less of the fifteen pages of text about repairing motherboards from various manufactures. That information is all available online and feels more like padding then a benefit for this book. I also would have liked more photos of Todd through the years and the machines he worked on. Its great when he puts prices to machine he bought and sold, really gives you an idea of how the market has changed. Since he also had "boots on the ground" during the height of the pinball boom he gives a unique perspective on what the operators were thinking. His chapter of Cirqus Voltaire in particular was interesting in how operators saw the machine as a sure-fire all-time hit in the making and then the actual response.

So in summary, it feels like a book trapped between two different ideas. One is a technical book full of tips and tech talk for hardcore owners that probably doesn't give enough to satisfy them as only a few items for each machine are covered and not a comprehensive look at each machines issues. The second is using one the pinball communities best personalities to tell stories about the industry and discuss some of the most popular and interesting machines it has released. I don't think either group will be fully satisfied with the book; will tech-heads pull down the book off the shelf to troubleshoot a machine or will non-machine owners continue to pay $30 for a book that is half technical repair information? The way the series is presented by featuring themes of machines gives it a more casual feel then a technical feel but that betrays what it actually is. If you want information on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein will you go to the horror edition, the movie one or the science fiction one? There is a lot of potential with a series of books like this, it just needs to figure out exactly what it wants to be and who the target audience is.

#52 5 years ago
    Quoted from Matesamo:

I sat down and read the book from cover-to-cover last night and have some thoughts, some good and some bad. I will buy just about any book about pinball so this was an easy order for me even with the $30 price. I will just bullet point some thoughts, I don't have the book in front of me but will try to do it from memory.
    * The paper is almost newsprint like, very thin and both non-spine corners on my copy were crumpled from mailing.
    * I am not sure who wrote what in this book. At Pinball Expo I talked with Todd and was under the impression that he was writing a series of ten books but there is no author on the cover and on the copyright page it lists three writers with Todd being the third listed. None of the chapters are attributed to any particular author, some you can tell are Todd and others are not. Even the preface is not credited.
    * There are three authors credited and three listed editors, two of which are also credited as writers (Todd was not listed as an editor). I am not sure if they did any actual traditional editing but I would guess the most they did was to proof read each others work for major mistakes. What I mean by this is that there are not a lot of spelling mistakes but there are sentence structure issues, incorrect use of words, and paragraphs that could be reworked for clarity or deleted all together.
    * Each of the featured pins has its own chapter with photos of the tables, a copy of the flyer or advertisement and maybe a close-up of a particularly cool item. The actual layout of each chapter is pretty nice. Tables are grouped by manufacturer and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to which machines were featured in this first book. Only one EM was included and the rest of the tables seemed to be chosen almost at random.
    * I am conflicted on who this book is targeted at. With Todd's laid-back humor I thought this would be a great series of books for casual fans of pinball for cool stories and interesting tidbits about the machines. What I got instead was a book aimed at the hardcore pinball fan with little narrative flow or logical progression through the tables. Take the very first table as an example, Atari's giant sized Hercules. I know about this table and you know about this table and what it is and how it is unique. Unfortunately the chapter starts not with a description of the machine and what makes it unique from a players point of view but it instead talks about how Atari had the insides of their pinball machines laid out with the boards on the bottom of the cabinet and the issues it brought for operators. After two-thirds of the first page talking about this issue it is then revealed that Hercules fixed this issue and the reader is left wondering why it was even included. Further on into the chapter it starts to talk about the unique qualities of the machine but the flow of the chapter is all over the place. It almost feels like someone recorded a panel with Todd talking about different machines and just transcribed the talk without reformatting the information in a readable format. This is why I mentioned about that the editors did not seem to do much actual editing and this chapter could have been reworked into a much better reading format with a little effort.
    * Some chapters are really nice with a good flow and interesting information. Others are just a page or two about suggested maintenance to the machine, you never know what you are getting from one chapter to the next. Sometimes even within one chapter it gets conflicting. Amazon Hunt from Gottlieb is one that sticks out as being described differently within the same chapter. Some of the machine talk about production numbers that conflict with the number stated on the splash page for the machine, I think Amazon Hunt was one where the text states they sold around 400 units and the splash showed a much larger number.
    * Even though the book is 230 pages, the stories make up less than 2/3 of the book and the rest is pinball maintenance articles, a brief history of pinball, brief looks at each companies history and some other small features. I would have started with the brief history and then put each companies history section prior to the machines featured from that company. The rest of the special features could have been used to break up the groupings of manufacturers to make a more pleasant reading layout.
    * When Todd talks about his experiences with customers and the general life of buying, selling and repairing pinball machines that is where the book really shines and you are left wanting more of that and less of the fifteen pages of text about repairing motherboards from various manufactures. That information is all available online and feels more like padding then a benefit for this book. I also would have liked more photos of Todd through the years and the machines he worked on. Its great when he puts prices to machine he bought and sold, really gives you an idea of how the market has changed. Since he also had "boots on the ground" during the height of the pinball boom he gives a unique perspective on what the operators were thinking. His chapter of Cirqus Voltaire in particular was interesting in how operators saw the machine as a sure-fire all-time hit in the making and then the actual response.
    So in summary, it feels like a book trapped between two different ideas. One is a technical book full of tips and tech talk for hardcore owners that probably doesn't give enough to satisfy them as only a few items for each machine are covered and not a comprehensive look at each machines issues. The second is using one the pinball communities best personalities to tell stories about the industry and discuss some of the most popular and interesting machines it has released. I don't think either group will be fully satisfied with the book; will tech-heads pull down the book off the shelf to troubleshoot a machine or will non-machine owners continue to pay $30 for a book that is half technical repair information? The way the series is presented by featuring themes of machines gives it a more casual feel then a technical feel but that betrays what it actually is. If you want information on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein will you go to the horror edition, the movie one or the science fiction one? There is a lot of potential with a series of books like this, it just needs to figure out exactly what it wants to be and who the target audience is.

Nice (and fair) write up!
    It did seem like no matter which way you thought main content was going to go, you didn't get it.

The original youtube video promised heavy paper, high quality clear photos, etc.

It seemed most of the photos and art were very fuzzy low resolution, some ink smear, etc. I do not expect old (especially early digital) photos to be super clear, but even things like the image of well, say the flyer for that CV; Why could that possibly not be crystal clear?

Having an even harder time on this one for me because after paying extra 10 bucks for limited edition copy and the 5 shipping (which was book thrown in cheap bubble bag with no backing, protective bag, or even a do not bend label) I'M in it for 45 buck's; and it came folded in half and jammed in my mailbox with my junk mail flyers.

Coincidentally, the new pinball magazine arrived same day. Was in hard cardboard mailer,inside bubble bag,sealed plastic protective bag etc and so it got left between my doors; Well recieved from half way across the world.

#53 5 years ago

Looking at the table of contents I can't wait to read about:

Teenage Mutant Ninija Turtle
    Fredd A Nightmare on Elm Street

There's great info but boy this book needs some more time at the editor's desk. Dr. Dude is apparently Blackwater 100.

Got some print blotches on pages, too. Red print has some serious compression issues as well.

I like it, it just feels a little rushed right now. I look forward to the next volumes.

#54 5 years ago

Todd! Get in touch with me...I may be able to help...

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from alexmogil:

Looking at the table of contents I can't wait to read about:
    Teenage Mutant Ninija Turtle
    Fredd A Nightmare on Elm Street
    There's great info but boy this book needs some more time at the editor's desk. Dr. Dude is apparently Blackwater 100.
    Got some print blotches on pages, too. Red print has some serious compression issues as well.
    I like it, it just feels a little rushed right now. I look forward to the next volumes.

After reading this stuff for a while, the text is really entertaining. Fun anecdotal stories from someone who has been there.

#56 5 years ago

Am I the only one who had the Blackwater chapter copied word for word onto the Dr Dude chapter?

#57 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Am I the only one who had the Blackwater chapter copied word for word onto the Dr Dude chapter?

Nope. 3rd person to mention it in this thread.

#58 5 years ago

Quick question....reading back cover, it makes a comment about stainless steel balls....mine all seem to be carbon steel...

Am I missing something?

#59 5 years ago

What if anything became of a possible digital edition (subscription)?

#60 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Quick question....reading back cover, it makes a comment about stainless steel balls....mine all seem to be carbon steel...
    Am I missing something?

You found an error. Not sure if it has the Sears Roebuck "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" deal.

#61 5 years ago
    download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
    #62 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

You found an error. Not sure if it has the Sears Roebuck "Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" deal.

I remember Sears Roebuck....that was the company that sold tools made in the U.S.A., offered a warranty, and wasn't all but gone (even in name) right?

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I remember Sears Roebuck....that was the company that sold tools made in the U.S.A., offered a warranty, and wasn't all but gone (even in name) right?

They're still around. I exchanged three cracked Craftsman sockets at One of their stores yesterday. Of course the new ones are made in China.

#64 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

They're still around. I exchanged three cracked Craftsman sockets at One of their stores yesterday. Of course the new ones are made in China.

They still offer a warranty and honor it on 40 year old tools.

#65 5 years ago

SERIOUSLY!!??? Their sockets are Chinese now!?

I sold tools for sears for a little while....so I am kinda harsh.

I knew they still honored handtool warranties, BUT I tried taking in a C-Clamp that bent like second time I used it and they said NO! Turns out it was a China made one even though it was Crapsman (not companion or evolve)...

#66 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

SERIOUSLY!!??? Their sockets are Chinese now!?
    I sold tools for sears for a little while....so I am kinda harsh.
    I knew they still honored handtool warranties, BUT I tried taking in a C-Clamp that bent like second time I used it and they said NO! Turns out it was a China made one even though it was Crapsman (not companion or evolve)...

All three have the phrase that pays.....

20181028_212023 (resized).jpg20181028_212023 (resized).jpg
    #67 5 years ago

Well....at this point, I will say this....after the quality vs price of the first pinball adventure.....and the COMPLETE lack of response by anybody involved....I am one person who will not be throwing over 300 dollars away on the rest of the books; Unless there is a DRASTIC change....

#68 5 years ago

Ordered the whole set! 10 books!

#69 5 years ago

Todd hasn't responded? Seems like he responds to almost anything.

#70 5 years ago

I know in one of his later youtube videos there are numerous errors he has marked. I wanted to get one at Expo, but he sold out. Want to get one , but hearing what PacMan Retro is reporting on , I am not too sure.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I know in one of his later youtube videos there are numerous errors he has marked. I wanted to get one at Expo, but he sold out. Want to get one , but hearing what PacMan Retro is reporting on , I am not too sure.

I can rent you my copy cheap

#72 5 years ago

This is kindof sad. Todd is usually all over Pinside. Not sure why he disappeared.

#73 5 years ago

has anyone noticed that some pages are screwed up. will they refund or give correct book.. to start with the pages for dr dude have desription for blackwater 100.. doesnt anyone check bokks before they ship

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

doesnt anyone check bokks before they ship

or spellcheck before they hit send post

#75 5 years ago

Hi everyone! Glad most of you enjoyed the Volume One of the book! I certainly enjoyed sharing some of my adventures that I have had in this industry! I wrote ALL of the stories for all 27 of the pinball machines listed on the cover page. I also wrote ALL of the technical pages and accompanied them with pictures I took at TNT, and also provided the personal pictures on the "Pinball Expert" on page 144. This took perhaps 140 hours of my time this summer. ALL other written and picture content was written, chosen and laid out by the publisher. I was not given the chance to see or proofread anything before this first printing was done. I understand the errors made are being corrected for the second printing, but the publisher and I have both come to an understanding and we have moved on. I will NOT be part of Volumes 2 through 10 but I wish them well in the future "Pinball Adventures" volumes coming out over the next few years! Todd N. Tuckey

#76 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

the publisher and I have both come to an understanding and we have moved on. I will NOT be part of Volumes 2 through 10 but I wish them well in the future Todd N. Tuckey

#77 5 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #78 5 years ago

I'll wait for whysnow's tips and suggestions on what Todd, as well as we, should do.

#79 5 years ago

Very telling that he dropped out....why would anyone want to put his or her name on a product without final proof reading....

#80 5 years ago

I will NOT be part of Volumes 2 through 10 but I wish them well in the future "Pinball Adventures" volumes coming out over the next few years! Todd N. Tuckey

Todd
    I’m sorry to hear this,
    Your videos and story’s are great and I enjoy reading them. I think that your publisher rushed this book to print without proofreading it and now your taking the heat. I believe they owe you an apology. I will definitely have to think before purchasing any future volumes.
    Good luck
    Jim

#81 5 years ago

I'm just guessing here but I'm thinking a lot of promises were made, Todd did his part, and the publisher cut every corner possible. The odds of volume 2 are zilch.

Sorry you got burned Todd.

#82 5 years ago

There’s a reason Todd got his book after the silver editions went out....they knew they screwed Todd. Todd...my family loves your book and appreciates all the time you took to write it. Ignore the CREEPS!

#83 5 years ago

Todd
    Any chance you can find another publisher?

#84 5 years ago

was on my list of things to purchase....now I guess I'll save a few bucks....

#85 5 years ago

Todd.....fwiw, if you ever decide to personally fund your actual OWN series of books, magazines, etc ... in a way where you have more quality control and supervision directly, I would certainly still be interested. My complaints were never personal and I hated to be such a downer.

I most certainly will NOT buy any more of this series.

Also, I believe a majority of the tips given were taken from other sources....NOT personal tips but rather rehashes of multiple people's insight....but without credit.

However, if you ever have the ability to publish the high quality photos on heavy stock, with more fun stories....and it is truly from you where we can trust your business rep that it is quality, I will certainly look forward to purchasing EVERY one.

I hope you wind up in better publicatory situations in the future and look foward to many more fun videos and comments in the interim.

#86 5 years ago

I thoroughly enjoy Todd’s videos on pins..when I’m curious about a game I haven’t seen or played, I google it and see if he’s got a video describing it..I appreciate all that you do for all us pinheads near and far..and continued success moving forward..

#87 5 years ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

was on my list of things to purchase....now I guess I'll save a few bucks....

Same here. I was planning on buying all ten, but will probably hold out to see what the other books will be like. Im always glad to see some kind of books or magazines about pinball, but my main reason for buying these particular books was because Todd was sharing his life time stories and servicing tips. I really feel for Todd because I felt like he put a lot into this project and the publisher took advantage of him...... and even us, the buyers of the book. With out Todd , I'm not to much interested in this series anymore. With all this said, I do want to Thank You Todd for all the work and effort you put into the book. Your stories and wealth of information is priceless. Keep cranking out the You Tube videos and looking forward to doing more business with you in the future.

#88 5 years ago

I brought this up previously, but no one replied, but looking at the back cover, it seems that it was never the intention for Todd to do all 10 Volumes.

The original announcement seemed to indicate Todd would be doing all 10. Perhaps after previewing the first volume, things changed?

Either way, it's a shame as I was really looking forward to a 10 book set from Mr. TNT himself!

Capture.PNGCapture.PNG

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from chippe01:

I brought this up previously, but no one replied, but looking at the back cover, it seems that it was never the intention for Todd to do all 10 Volumes.
    The original announcement seemed to indicate Todd would be doing all 10. Perhaps after previewing the first volume, things changed?
    Either way, it's a shame as I was really looking forward to a 10 book set from Mr. TNT himself!
    [quoted image]

Todd is the one who initially said he was signing up for 10 books....

#90 5 years ago

Damn this sucks. Todd: Please dont get discouraged. The community loves you and REALLY enjoy your stories. I hope you can find it within yourself to get another publisher and try again. Please.

#91 5 years ago

I paid the $250 through PayPal to advertise in his book, but some how it was never put on the web page as stated in the email. I called Todd about 3 weeks later, he called the publisher, they said it will happen, don't worry about it, so I didn't until the book came out and my ad was not in the book or on the web page.
    I emailed Todd and told him I was not a happy customer, he replied;

Hi John...I had forwarded your email to Andrew last night after you sent it...I had no answers for you...I did not do any of the publishing or layouts...I simply wrote the pages...as a matter of fact, I JUST got my copy in the mail today...never saw the finished book. The first printing was 300 books so we could correct any issues...next run of books next week will be lots more...it gives them a chance to fix any mistakes--apparently your ad was missed for instance. We are hoping for a ten thousand book run once we get this out into the marketplace. The initial book run there are always things I am told, in the publishing world.
    Andrew said he did refund your money...sorry...

After reading the book, I'm sure glad the publisher lost my ad, and I received my $250 back.

Here is the email I received from Todd to advertise in his book.

Hello from TNT AMUSEMENTS INC. in historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania! Please take a moment to read this important letter regarding new book, “PINBALL ADVENTURES” & how you can be a part of this project (Deadline is July 25TH)!

~
    Because you deal in Pinball Machines - parts, sales and/or service - this will be of MUCH interest for you, your future customers and company recognition. I am Todd N. Tuckey, owner of TNT Amusements Inc. for almost 40+ years now. Like you, I have established a business around Arcade Video Games & Pinball Machines and am still going strong.

I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to these machines and now have over 1,400+ episodes, with hundreds of hours of clean, edited material that I share with over 23,000 subscribers of the channel. Not only that, but my channel’s videos have been watched for over 40 MILLION minutes!

A few months ago, I was approached by a company (a big fan of our YouTube channel), who thought the time was right for me to write and publish a book unlike any other pinball book currently on the market. This book would not only feature the history of various pinball machines, but also my own adventures in the Pinball Industry from over the 40+ years - from operating in locations to finding, reconditioning and eventual selling these machines. I have acquired so much intimate knowledge of each machine that I have ever had at my shop, but have never actually detailed it in such a way that the reader could apply the knowledge and tips to his own machine.

The layout of the book will include a brief history of pinball, the actual stories of the individual machines I talk about (approximately 30 machines for this first volume), some "Guess the Machine" pictures showing super close-ups of games, and the technical information for each electronic pinball system from 1977 & on for all major manufacturers. Also, each volume will feature a couple of collector’s home game rooms and pictures. There will also be pages that will contain QR Codes that will link directly to my YouTube videos about specific machines.

Now, the part that applies to YOU! We will also feature pages with same-size ads listing for all our suppliers. These box ads will have your logo, some key information about what you offer, website, email, phone number & other key information about your company. The ads are all priced the same at $250.

This price gets you an ad in every printed issue of Volume One, including any reprints we subsequently do. You will be a part of this book and also get the same listing for free on our website at www.pinballbuzz.com, where we hope to attract thousands of Pinball Enthusiasts year-round.

We would love to have you advertise with us! Our pre-sales have been surprisingly strong with our first book run almost selling out in the first few days.

Here are some of the reasons that you might want to advertise with us:

- Pinball adventures will be advertised in almost every pinball trade show website worldwide.

- 10 volume Pinball Adventures series with a few spin off arcade and repair books in 2019.

- Countless personal stories of well-known designers, Internet YouTubers, suppliers and collectors that will contribute their tips and stories to the pages or Pinball Adventures

- Hitting the pinball and arcade target market with Todd Tuckey’s YouTube videos, attending tradeshows with book signings and promoting suppliers on YouTube.

- Other large YouTubers with over 10 million subscribers combined that will spotlight the book.

- Celebrities in the works or that have been interviewed will be spotlighted in the book and sharing us on their personal website to their viewers. (Penn & Teller, Dan Aykroyd, Mike Myers, Gene Simmons, Tom Hanks, Mike Jordan & Dolly Parton, just to name a few!)

- Life time advertising on the website with any paid Pinball Adventures issue advertising.

- Will be sold on Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and many other well know book websites.

- Extensive SEO (search engine optimization) and advertising, will land us in the top searches for pinball and arcade related words.

We plan for this website to become a destination for our viewers and customers. Here, they can find dealers to buy the games from and suppliers that sell LED kits, rubber rings, flipper coils, displays, and cabinet parts.

Do you FIX machines? There is a page just for service and repair work for these machines in the home or business. These listings will be easy to access and read, and not overwhelming, as the ads will all be consistent and the same size.

The website also features a "Collectors Corner" section that will feature any collector’s Game Room setup of their machines. These pages will constantly grow, as traffic will increase for others to see different collections displayed in one place.

My love for Pinball & Arcade Industry, including its future, is clearly present in all the things I say publicly. I am constantly promoting this website on all our new YouTube videos, while also planning additional interviews about this book and future volumes through blogs, press releases, YouTube shows and podcasts.

I want this book to appeal to people of all ages: men & women, young & old, to those new into pinball, the casual reader, and the enthusiast. At 200 pages, and printed on full color, high gloss paper stock, it will look great on the coffee table and be useful in the workplace. People are always looking for gifts for the pinball enthusiast in their lives and this will be a perfect surprise.

After appearing at many Pinball shows over the years, I see new, formed interest in this fun hobby. I have lectured and given various seminars about these machines and see such a following behind the back stories, too. This is one of the few industries in the world that was originally created to simply make money in the cash box for the operator who bought the machine, and then to be retired or junked. Now, it seems that 85% of all machines sold, both new and used, are going directly into private collections. The remaining machines are mostly seen in new retro arcades springing up around the globe. YOU, dear supplier, are part of the resurgence into this terrific hobby!

The deadline for ads is July 25th, 2018, as the publishing date is September 1st, 2018). AND, it's simple to do!

Please visit www.pinballbuzz.com/become-a-sponsorand fill in your company’s details or email us directly at [email protected].

If you do not have an ad, we can create one for you using your logo. It will not take long to complete the form, and you will be a part of something new & exciting in the Pinball Industry’s grand future!

Sincerely yours,

Todd N Tuckey
    President, TNT Amusements Inc.

www.tntamusements.com

P: 215-953-1188, ext. 0

#92 5 years ago
    Quoted from ElkhartPinball:

I paid the $250 through PayPal to advertise in his book, but some how it was never put on the web page as stated in the email. I called Todd about 3 weeks later, he called the publisher, they said I will happen don't worry about it, so I didn't until the book came out and my ad was not in the book or on the web page.
    I emailed Todd and told him I was not a happy customer, he replied;
    Hi John...I had forwarded your email to Andrew last night after you sent it...I had no answers for you...I did not do any of the publishing or layouts...I simply wrote the pages...as a matter of fact, I JUST got my copy in the mail today...never saw the finished book. The first printing was 300 books so we could correct any issues...next run of books next week will be lots more...it gives them a chance to fix any mistakes--apparently your ad was missed for instance. We are hoping for a ten thousand book run once we get this out into the marketplace. The initial book run there are always things I am told, in the publishing world.
    Andrew said he did refund your money...sorry...
    After reading the book, I'm sure glad the publisher lost my ad, and I received my $250 back.
    Here is the email I received from Todd to advertise in his book.
    Hello from TNT AMUSEMENTS INC. in historic Bucks County, Pennsylvania! Please take a moment to read this important letter regarding new book, “PINBALL ADVENTURES” & how you can be a part of this project (Deadline is July 25TH)!
    ~
    Because you deal in Pinball Machines - parts, sales and/or service - this will be of MUCH interest for you, your future customers and company recognition. I am Todd N. Tuckey, owner of TNT Amusements Inc. for almost 40+ years now. Like you, I have established a business around Arcade Video Games & Pinball Machines and am still going strong.
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to these machines and now have over 1,400+ episodes, with hundreds of hours of clean, edited material that I share with over 23,000 subscribers of the channel. Not only that, but my channel’s videos have been watched for over 40 MILLION minutes!
    A few months ago, I was approached by a company (a big fan of our YouTube channel), who thought the time was right for me to write and publish a book unlike any other pinball book currently on the market. This book would not only feature the history of various pinball machines, but also my own adventures in the Pinball Industry from over the 40+ years - from operating in locations to finding, reconditioning and eventual selling these machines. I have acquired so much intimate knowledge of each machine that I have ever had at my shop, but have never actually detailed it in such a way that the reader could apply the knowledge and tips to his own machine.
    The layout of the book will include a brief history of pinball, the actual stories of the individual machines I talk about (approximately 30 machines for this first volume), some "Guess the Machine" pictures showing super close-ups of games, and the technical information for each electronic pinball system from 1977 & on for all major manufacturers. Also, each volume will feature a couple of collector’s home game rooms and pictures. There will also be pages that will contain QR Codes that will link directly to my YouTube videos about specific machines.
    Now, the part that applies to YOU! We will also feature pages with same-size ads listing for all our suppliers. These box ads will have your logo, some key information about what you offer, website, email, phone number & other key information about your company. The ads are all priced the same at $250.
    This price gets you an ad in every printed issue of Volume One, including any reprints we subsequently do. You will be a part of this book and also get the same listing for free on our website at www.pinballbuzz.com, where we hope to attract thousands of Pinball Enthusiasts year-round.
    We would love to have you advertise with us! Our pre-sales have been surprisingly strong with our first book run almost selling out in the first few days.
    Here are some of the reasons that you might want to advertise with us:
    - Pinball adventures will be advertised in almost every pinball trade show website worldwide.
    - 10 volume Pinball Adventures series with a few spin off arcade and repair books in 2019.
    - Countless personal stories of well-known designers, Internet YouTubers, suppliers and collectors that will contribute their tips and stories to the pages or Pinball Adventures
    - Hitting the pinball and arcade target market with Todd Tuckey’s YouTube videos, attending tradeshows with book signings and promoting suppliers on YouTube.
    - Other large YouTubers with over 10 million subscribers combined that will spotlight the book.
    - Celebrities in the works or that have been interviewed will be spotlighted in the book and sharing us on their personal website to their viewers. (Penn & Teller, Dan Aykroyd, Mike Myers, Gene Simmons, Tom Hanks, Mike Jordan & Dolly Parton, just to name a few!)
    - Life time advertising on the website with any paid Pinball Adventures issue advertising.
    - Will be sold on Amazon, Barnes & Nobles and many other well know book websites.
    - Extensive SEO (search engine optimization) and advertising, will land us in the top searches for pinball and arcade related words.
    We plan for this website to become a destination for our viewers and customers. Here, they can find dealers to buy the games from and suppliers that sell LED kits, rubber rings, flipper coils, displays, and cabinet parts.
    Do you FIX machines? There is a page just for service and repair work for these machines in the home or business. These listings will be easy to access and read, and not overwhelming, as the ads will all be consistent and the same size.
    The website also features a "Collectors Corner" section that will feature any collector’s Game Room setup of their machines. These pages will constantly grow, as traffic will increase for others to see different collections displayed in one place.
    My love for Pinball & Arcade Industry, including its future, is clearly present in all the things I say publicly. I am constantly promoting this website on all our new YouTube videos, while also planning additional interviews about this book and future volumes through blogs, press releases, YouTube shows and podcasts.
    I want this book to appeal to people of all ages: men & women, young & old, to those new into pinball, the casual reader, and the enthusiast. At 200 pages, and printed on full color, high gloss paper stock, it will look great on the coffee table and be useful in the workplace. People are always looking for gifts for the pinball enthusiast in their lives and this will be a perfect surprise.
    After appearing at many Pinball shows over the years, I see new, formed interest in this fun hobby. I have lectured and given various seminars about these machines and see such a following behind the back stories, too. This is one of the few industries in the world that was originally created to simply make money in the cash box for the operator who bought the machine, and then to be retired or junked. Now, it seems that 85% of all machines sold, both new and used, are going directly into private collections. The remaining machines are mostly seen in new retro arcades springing up around the globe. YOU, dear supplier, are part of the resurgence into this terrific hobby!
    The deadline for ads is July 25th, 2018, as the publishing date is September 1st, 2018). AND, it's simple to do!
    Please visit www.pinballbuzz.com/become-a-sponsorand fill in your company’s details or email us directly at [email protected].
    If you do not have an ad, we can create one for you using your logo. It will not take long to complete the form, and you will be a part of something new & exciting in the Pinball Industry’s grand future!
    Sincerely yours,
    Todd N Tuckey
    President, TNT Amusements Inc.
    www.tntamusements.com
    P: 215-953-1188, ext. 0

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

And here I was just going to complain that I paid an extra 10 bucks for a glossy photo saying he liked my business work (to display framed in my workshop), but instead got a crappy promo postcard telling me it was a "hobby".

40+ years as a hobby is what I expect TNT to start advertising now.

#93 5 years ago
    wxk81 (resized).pngwxk81 (resized).png
    #94 5 years ago

So all of you know the truth about the book deal, here it is
    Todd Tuckey : Contract Termination effective as of October,23, 2018.

Todd after meeting with our lawyer, we have all agreed to release you from your contract as per section 5 due to the breach of contract on your behalf as per sections 6 and 7.

Starting from when we got back from Las Vegas, no more than a week had passed when you contacted me and asked me for a loan of $40,000 in USD, so you could make payroll for your company.

You and your daughter got a free vacation including airfare, food and massages with all expenses paid to Las Vegas. I spent $ 5000.00 plus of my own money, when we didn’t even have any books sales or advertisers. I took a chance and of course I will never recuperate this money.

When we got back I mailed your daughter a laptop and dash cam to help her in school at my expense.

You then proceeded to tell everybody in your videos the wrong launch dates for the book several times, how many pages were in the book and what the content would be inside the book.

Pushing and telling the viewers of a earlier deadline, of course there are bound to be mistakes.
    In your videos you were displaying our book in a negative way having your coworkers make fun of the book and since you are the final editor of these videos, you did not even edit these parts out.
    We told you to stop doing this several times on the phone and in e-mails and to let us take care of the releasing the book and we would tell you what to say if you wanted to say something about the book and what kind of environment we would like the setting to be.
    You never listened. You continued to tell everybody the wrong dates, what the content inside the book would be; that you were making an audiobook and you were doing a digital copy and the dates to the next books releases, which none of this information was correct. You have proved yourself to be very self-centered.

After repeatedly telling you not to portray the book in a negative matter in your videos, you continued to let your staff use our book as a leg leveler, call it toilet paper and other names, all the while knowing that we have spent hundreds of hours with five staff building up this book. You really are such a jerk for doing this.

You then continue to tell everybody to buy your machines and books because you are broke, going out of business, you are losing money, you need money etc.. doing this in all the videos that end in you saying buy my book. We told you to stop doing that, since it is negative energy and who on gods earth would want to buy your book if you were going out of business or broke but you continued.

Another thing that also contributed to us breaking this contract with you would be the amount of dismal sales from your subscribers. You did not even get half of a percent of your subscribers. I think that you sold fewer than 100 books if that.

We then thought that we would order a couple pinball machines from you and kind of do a piece on how great your machines are, clean and fresh and that you’re at the top your game and not just a loudmouth character.
    However, when we received these machines they looked like a pinball Frankenstein nightmare from hell. You just pieced together these machines from whatever parts you could find I your warehouse. What a waste of money once again. And these machines were in your showroom!

Such a shame, you would conduct business this way. You would think that if you were sending it to the guy who’s trying to make you money you would make sure those machines were fresh and clean not look like they came out of the junkyard.

You can say bought as is, but still go the extra mile to at least do a wipe down of the playfield and cabinet to make the client happy. For some reason you don’t seem to do that, you just do what you want and only care about yourself.

You then proceeded to go to the trade show in Chicago and instead of just saying to everyone you met, yes the book has a few mistakes we will correct them, you proceed to make an effort to tell everyone you can find that there’s tons of mistakes, everything is missing, you can’t believe it and make a big deal of this on camera, and also in the seminar trying to blame me for all of these mistakes. How embarrassing. Now you know why I avoided you for the rest of the show.
    You then decided to badger me and leave me messages and texts after texts demanding your money to once again fund your payroll.
    We had no agreement that I was going to bring money to the show your money problems are not our problems. Like I said the office would cut you a check or pay you through PayPal for any balance owing.
    We are going to now have to do collateral damage to repair what you have damage to the reputation of the book.

Understand that we designed a platform on how we were going to market this book and this was our job as per the contract not yours. Nowhere in the contract does it say that you are to market or tell people about this book.

You were hired as a Freelance Writer only that’s all.

We explained this to you several times, but you never listen and that’s the biggest problem with you. You never ever listen and do it your own way and just mow everyone down in you pathway.

Well the truth about the book events have been spelled out for all to know now.
    Now you know the rest of the story.
    Andrew

Editor

57A194B3-FCE5-4140-9EF9-85ABC6E80A6E (resized).jpeg57A194B3-FCE5-4140-9EF9-85ABC6E80A6E (resized).jpeg
    #95 5 years ago

Elkhart Pinball.
    I will address this issue.

Unfortunately the email did get lost or went to spam, yes a mistake was made and I’m very sorry for that.

We did contact the company apologize offered to refund the money and give them not just one but two issues free of charge.
    Mr. Elkhart told me to F off, jump in the lake and shove it up my you know what. I decided to end the conversation hung up and refunded his money with an apology again.

That’s all that happened nothing more.
    Andrew
    Pinball Adventures

#96 5 years ago
    cat (resized).jpgcat (resized).jpg
    #97 5 years ago

Lastly the whole concept of this book was to gather some interesting stories about pinball machines.
    We wanted to showcase neat pictures and facts and bring on board not just one specialist but several specialists, which I’m happy to say we have over 15 specialist anywhere from lights, to sound to restoring, to batteries etc. In our next volumes.

We have spent the last month refining and tuning the book. The book is now the proper size, proper amount of pages and proper paper has been used. The content has gone been gone through with a fine tooth comb and I think everybody will be quite pleased with the transformation.

We have made a 2019 calendar that will be ready in several weeks and Volume 2 Magic will be ready for Christmas.

The pre-orders on the second volume and calendar have been through the roof.
    Again, thank you all for the patience and understanding.
    I am sorry I had to air our dirty laundry for all to see.

Andrew

D1C1F574-52F5-4D83-8F73-35D746517DA6 (resized).jpegD1C1F574-52F5-4D83-8F73-35D746517DA6 (resized).jpeg
    #98 5 years ago

Interesting....my experience there are always three sides to every story

#99 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballBuzz:

So all of you know the truth about the book deal, here it is
    Todd Tuckey : Contract Termination effective as of October,23, 2018.

Todd after meeting with our lawyer, we have all agreed to release you from your contract as per section 5 due to the breach of contract on your behalf as per sections 6 and 7.

Starting from when we got back from Las Vegas, no more than a week had passed when you contacted me and asked me for a loan of $40,000 in USD, so you could make payroll for your company.

You and your daughter got a free vacation including airfare, food and massages with all expenses paid to Las Vegas. I spent $ 5000.00 plus of my own money, when we didn’t even have any books sales or advertisers. I took a chance and of course I will never recuperate this money.

When we got back I mailed your daughter a laptop and dash cam to help her in school at my expense.

You then proceeded to tell everybody in your videos the wrong launch dates for the book several times, how many pages were in the book and what the content would be inside the book.

Pushing and telling the viewers of a earlier deadline, of course there are bound to be mistakes.
    In your videos you were displaying our book in a negative way having your coworkers make fun of the book and since you are the final editor of these videos, you did not even edit these parts out.
    We told you to stop doing this several times on the phone and in e-mails and to let us take care of the releasing the book and we would tell you what to say if you wanted to say something about the book and what kind of environment we would like the setting to be.
    You never listened. You continued to tell everybody the wrong dates, what the content inside the book would be; that you were making an audiobook and you were doing a digital copy and the dates to the next books releases, which none of this information was correct. You have proved yourself to be very self-centered.

After repeatedly telling you not to portray the book in a negative matter in your videos, you continued to let your staff use our book as a leg leveler, call it toilet paper and other names, all the while knowing that we have spent hundreds of hours with five staff building up this book. You really are such a jerk for doing this.

You then continue to tell everybody to buy your machines and books because you are broke, going out of business, you are losing money, you need money etc.. doing this in all the videos that end in you saying buy my book. We told you to stop doing that, since it is negative energy and who on gods earth would want to buy your book if you were going out of business or broke but you continued.

Another thing that also contributed to us breaking this contract with you would be the amount of dismal sales from your subscribers. You did not even get half of a percent of your subscribers. I think that you sold fewer than 100 books if that.

We then thought that we would order a couple pinball machines from you and kind of do a piece on how great your machines are, clean and fresh and that you’re at the top your game and not just a loudmouth character.
    However, when we received these machines they looked like a pinball Frankenstein nightmare from hell. You just pieced together these machines from whatever parts you could find I your warehouse. What a waste of money once again. And these machines were in your showroom!

Such a shame, you would conduct business this way. You would think that if you were sending it to the guy who’s trying to make you money you would make sure those machines were fresh and clean not look like they came out of the junkyard.

You can say bought as is, but still go the extra mile to at least do a wipe down of the playfield and cabinet to make the client happy. For some reason you don’t seem to do that, you just do what you want and only care about yourself.

You then proceeded to go to the trade show in Chicago and instead of just saying to everyone you met, yes the book has a few mistakes we will correct them, you proceed to make an effort to tell everyone you can find that there’s tons of mistakes, everything is missing, you can’t believe it and make a big deal of this on camera, and also in the seminar trying to blame me for all of these mistakes. How embarrassing. Now you know why I avoided you for the rest of the show.
    You then decided to badger me and leave me messages and texts after texts demanding your money to once again fund your payroll.
    We had no agreement that I was going to bring money to the show your money problems are not our problems. Like I said the office would cut you a check or pay you through PayPal for any balance owing.
    We are going to now have to do collateral damage to repair what you have damage to the reputation of the book.

Understand that we designed a platform on how we were going to market this book and this was our job as per the contract not yours. Nowhere in the contract does it say that you are to market or tell people about this book.

You were hired as a Freelance Writer only that’s all.

We explained this to you several times, but you never listen and that’s the biggest problem with you. You never ever listen and do it your own way and just mow everyone down in you pathway.

Well the truth about the book events have been spelled out for all to know now.
    Now you know the rest of the story.
    Andrew

Editor

Wow.
    A lot of shocking statements.

Not sure how big you think pinball is and how big your sales projections where... But based on your statement I assure you pinball is smaller than you think!

#100 5 years ago

Andrew,
    You sound like someone with very little publishing experience and you want to blame Todd for your mistakes. You are the editor, correct? I found 10 errors in my reading of the book.

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

We have spent the last month refining and tuning the book. The book is now the proper size, proper amount of pages and proper paper has been used.

Is it Todd’s fault you published the book with tons of errors and the wrong type of paper yet you continued to try and sell the defective books before they were actually ready for sale? Now that you updated volume one will you be replacing unhappy customer’s original copies?

I assume Todd is now embarrassed to have his name associated with your book so i see why he made those comments you whined about.

Pinball is a small community and based on your comments you unfortunately don’t even understand your target sales audience.

There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/todd-n-tuckey-book-deal-1o-volumes/page/2?hl=mkgoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.