Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 653 posts
  • 178 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Nihonmasa
  • Topic is favorited by 59 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8C18C990-D2AF-48C0-B5B6-0A691DCD6CEC (resized).jpeg
    E774538D-69BA-440A-BC2A-3777319149A7 (resized).jpeg
    BE970EE4-5AD1-44A4-97A8-50B1AEC0122F (resized).jpeg
    DA28598C-BAF5-4DBF-84C9-988A1BD7D7CC (resized).jpeg
    20190218_090605 (resized).jpg
    ss_5d0f152e39a71758569eca2d816bd06175d89e89 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0413 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    C36F0504-1E11-4939-9395-AF203D733F0F (resized).png
    Ace (resized).png
    Screenshot_2018-11-28-08-54-26 (resized).png
    Vol2 (resized).JPG
    Hang Out Todd Tuckey (resized).jpg
    tnt (resized).jpg
    514495B8-0957-47F5-B65A-9972EF23CBB6 (resized).jpeg
    PPS-MADDOGL.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.
    #501 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

So in summary, TNT was approached by some speculative investor to write down TNT's stories in print, publish them, and offer some exposure as well for TNT, and save the pinball community from boredom (aka. 'doing the pinball community a favor'). TNT bought into it, didn't abide by the terms, and the speculator didn't deliver on glossy paper, and made MAJOR errors in quality, in proofing/copy editing (if it was even read), and then printed. The printing was late, and wasn't received well by the buyers. Some bought in at one copy, edition 1. Others bought into the entire promised 10 issue 'book'. Each book was to be written by TNT, TT in particular, and some was removed, edited without permission, and not quality edited by the publisher. All the while the buyer was dumb enough to buy into it as an 'investment' because they love pinball, and the community. Oh, and its mostly because of TNT's quality sales and distribution as well as a desire to profit from its 40+ years of game sales and service history that this all was possible.?!? At what point does the TNT fan club stop flagging some douche that leveraged the TNT momentum, and call it the way it needs to be called?

You mean, a mess?

#502 5 years ago

Here is another example of pinball book history that rhymes with this development present endstate, but was much less contemptible from both the author, interviews, and subject details. Most people won't know the necessarily details of the story, but it can be summarized as a personal quest with excessive costs, but average quality of material overall. The book has become more difficult to locate now based on its limited production, however this does not mean expensive.

The lesson here is the best choice with books is always to try an minimize fanfare until a sample copy can be fully reviewed after publication and try not to piss off the general entirety of the pinball community, because we are too small a hobby even now allow success if public opinion is overtly negative.
    PPS-MADDOGL.jpgPPS-MADDOGL.jpg

#503 5 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Here is another example of pinball book history that rhymes with this development present endstate, but was much less contemptible from both the author, interviews, and subject details. Most people won't know the necessarily details of the story, but it can be summarized as a personal quest with excessive costs, but average quality.
    The best choice with books is always to try an minimize fanfare until a sample copy can be fully reviewed after publication and try not to piss off the general entirety of the pinball community, because we are too small a hobby even now allow success if public opinion is overtly negative.
    [quoted image]

Brought to you by:

#504 5 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

I really want to hear his stories and have his knowledge written down, but I’m not giving money to this book writer. Man if Todd could have his own book, or documentary made (who did the spooky doc?) I would gladly give money to that effort.

I am planning on self-publishing my own book next year, that will be edited by a real PROFESSIONAL proofreader (I have had three offers from the pinball world). It will cover ALL of my experiences since buying my first game when I was 14 years old, getting into the vending business, my film business years, and of course my TNT years with all our guys and girls at the shop! ALL of the pictures will be MINE and not off the internet! I think it will turn out to be pretty good since I will have proper control over it. Todd

#505 5 years ago

Thanks great news Todd.

#506 5 years ago

Special When Lit Pinball Podcast will be interviewing Todd Tuckey on Tuesday, November 20th. We will be covering the start of Todd's career all the way up to current affairs. The interview will air within a week after recording. I'll happily post a link here when it's available if that won't bother anyone that I'm linking to my own personal podcast.

#507 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

I'll happily post a link here when it's available if that won't bother anyone that I'm linking to my own personal podcast

I'd love a link when it's ready.

#508 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

I am planning on self-publishing my own book next year, that will be edited by a real PROFESSIONAL proofreader (I have had three offers from the pinball world). It will cover ALL of my experiences since buying my first game when I was 14 years old, getting into the vending business, my film business years, and of course my TNT years with all our guys and girls at the shop! ALL of the pictures will be MINE and not off the internet! I think it will turn out to be pretty good since I will have proper control over it. Todd

Yes!!!!

#509 5 years ago

Todd, I think it goes without saying that most of us will be right there to buy one when they go on sale.
    We'll be getting 2, one for the coffee table, and the other for the back of the toilet

#510 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Good news indeed...

#511 5 years ago

Todd - you should offer a discount for people who purchased Pinball Adventures (ala Deeproot).

#512 5 years ago

PayPal Adventures Vol 1...

I thought there would be more back and forth to these procedures. PayPal notified me that they received a statement from Pinball Buzz in support of their escalation. But I wasn't provided any opportunity to see the statement or rebut. Then less than 24 hours later I received another notice from PayPal that they decided in my favor. So that was pretty easy.

I still have to return the book which is fine with me. When PayPal sees that the tracking number has landed, I'm done with Pinball Buzz. I hope.

#513 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Will it be printed on the proper weighted paper and polished to a high gloss?

#514 5 years ago
    Quoted from JeffZee:

I'm done with Pinball Buzz. I hope.

This would be a perfect name for this thread!

#515 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

That all sounds good... but did you reflow all the ICE COLD solder and add Franks battery board? Did you polish the mylar to a high gloss? Did you add the super chexx washers to protect the plastics?? Did Steven feather in the art??? Will it be the NICEST one I'll EVER SEE????

#516 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Todd - you should offer a discount for people who purchased Pinball Adventures (ala Deeproot).

While I wouldn't exactly downvote your idea; since book was editor's fault mostly, I wouldn't want Todd to have to suffer any money on a new venture.

And yes, I am one who bought one.

Just saying, I'd offer full support for a new book venture from TODD.

#517 5 years ago
    Quoted from gunstarhero:

That all sounds good... but did you reflow all the ICE COLD solder and add Franks battery board? Did you polish the mylar to a high gloss? Did you add the super chexx washers to protect the plastics?? Did Steven feather in the art??? Will it be the NICEST one I'll EVER SEE????

And NONE of that appeared in volume one of "My Book"....but it will when I publish MY book!

#518 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Sadly, I do not control or ever see the money...pinball buzz handled all that.

#519 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

Todd, I think it goes without saying that most of us will be right there to buy one when they go on sale.
    We'll be getting 2, one for the coffee table, and the other for the back of the toilet

You may need a third one perhaps, to level a shuffle alley! (The video is linked up to this moment)

#520 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Special When Lit Pinball Podcast will be interviewing Todd Tuckey on Tuesday, November 20th. We will be covering the start of Todd's career all the way up to current affairs. The interview will air within a week after recording. I'll happily post a link here when it's available if that won't bother anyone that I'm linking to my own personal podcast.

We will try to cover as much as I can.....

#521 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Marked as a key post. May I suggest you also open a new thread focused exclusively on your new project so we can all follow that thread and not have it share a topic with this former adventure?

#522 5 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Marked as a key post. May I suggest you also open a new thread focused exclusively on your new project so we can all follow that thread and not have it share a topic with this former adventure?

But be sure to post link to it please, if you do

#523 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Solid idea Todd! I'd love to see a polished version of your memoirs and pinball adventures! Consider my friend and I both down for a sale when it prints!

#524 5 years ago

Of the 10 book set , Curt and Frank should have one for themselves. Being there the longest.

#525 5 years ago

I think you meant "badgering" and not "baggering" (sic)? If you can't even edit a Pinside post, I've got serious questions about your publishing skills. Beyond that, you should consider doing some apologizing and damage control because you are about to run your operation into the ground because Pinside, dude.

As for the "we're doing it for the kids" claim, I find it hard to stomach.. no business person with a straight head would take on an endeavor such as this without the intention of at least making a little something. If you couldn't see fit to either have Todd do another draft and or take your staff of five and do some editing work I think it's safe to say you had no intentions of doing anything for the community beyond hoping to get some quick sales on a rushed product.

In summary: making a pinball machines is HARD, writing a book is also HARD. What have you previously published, sir?

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Not once was the word BLAME, used in any of my past threads.
    Stop trying to fuel a fire that doesn’t exist.
    All of the writing submitted was by Todd, except the forward.
    This is posted by Todd if you have been reading the threads
    We only did a fast spell and grammar check on Todd’s writings, but left his writing as his writing. That is what he was contracted to do write and submit full ready to publish stories.
    We only did a short run to test a few books. Most were sent off as free samples for review. A soft opening so to speak. This was to feel out the market, buyers and to understand our target audience.
    We also spent over $8500.00 on presenting the book at the last expo, filming all the seminars for the viewers and gave away tons of free samples and on the trip itself.
    Look at our pinball buzz website and how much time and energy has gone into it! Over 110,000 views so far, it does show people are interested.
    Marketing is needed to learn the target audience.
    We also just had a contest and gave away over 30 books.
    We are not doing this as a full time job, but as an extra to help the pinball community. So please keep an open mind and stop baggering me on things that I am learning and trying to understand.
    I run several companies an could be spending time with my six kids but am choosing to be a part of the pinball community to help others understand and enjoy pinball.
    Andrew
    Hope this clears up a few things. [quoted image]

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

We only did a fast spell and grammar check on Todd’s writings, but left his writing as his writing. That is what he was contracted to do write and submit full ready to publish stories.
    We only did a short run to test a few books. Most were sent off as free samples for review. A soft opening so to speak. This was to feel out the market, buyers and to understand our target audience.
    We also spent over $8500.00 on presenting the book at the last expo, filming all the seminars for the viewers and gave away tons of free samples and on the trip itself.
    Look at our pinball buzz website and how much time and energy has gone into it! Over 110,000 views so far, it does show people are interested.
    We are not doing this as a full time job, but as an extra to help the pinball community. So please keep an open mind and stop baggering me on things that I am learning and trying to understand.
    I run several companies an could be spending time with my six kids but am choosing to be a part of the pinball community to help others understand and enjoy pinball.
    Andrew

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Andrew

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Andrew

Quoted from PinballBuzz:

Andrew

#526 5 years ago

Todd
    I will buy a copy of your future book , but only if it is “ folded.... not rolled” and in “ mint condition”! ( love that video!)

#527 5 years ago

Here's the reality. Gordon H promised years ago to do the remaining X books of 10, those left undone by his friend and cohort. That has never materialized. Self publishing 10 books of high quality is the impossible, 5 books unlikely, 1-2 books that are of that quality and caliber is a huge undertaking. Yet publishing one highly error ridden book on toilet paper stock with chapters missing, and business fraud happening is apparently 100% proven. What has transpired, sad sad sad start to what would have been an otherwise major undertaking. Its much easier to give birth than to resurrect the dead, good luck is all I can muster up on this adventure.

#528 5 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Of the 10 book set , Curt and Frank should have one for themselves. Being there the longest.

CURT!!!!!

#529 5 years ago

I want a book where it's just Wallace telling everyone off.

#530 5 years ago
    514495B8-0957-47F5-B65A-9972EF23CBB6 (resized).jpeg514495B8-0957-47F5-B65A-9972EF23CBB6 (resized).jpeg
    #531 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

Here's the reality. Gordon H promised years ago to do the remaining X books of 10, those left undone by his friend and cohort. That has never materialized. Self publishing 10 books of high quality is the impossible, 5 books unlikely, 1-2 books that are of that quality and caliber is a huge undertaking. Yet publishing one highly error ridden book on toilet paper stock with chapters missing, and business fraud happening is apparently 100% proven. What has transpired, sad sad sad start to what would have been an otherwise major undertaking. Its much easier to give birth than to resurrect the dead, good luck is all I can muster up on this adventure.

Thank goodness Dick B. only meant for one volume of Lemons, Cherries and Bell Fruit Gum.

#532 5 years ago

Wow, Andrew Heighway surfaced again? Making a toilet paper book this time?

Rake man is a real F ing beauty.

#533 5 years ago

Finally received my copy here in Western Australia, took ages
    What a strange feeling paper. A quick skim through and it seems OK more like a magazine than book though.

#534 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Wow, Andrew Heighway surfaced again? Making a toilet paper book this time?
    Rake man is a real F ing beauty.

does the book look like its been printed from a large stolen flat bed printer?

mines wrapped up as an xmas present so cant read it yet!!!

#535 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Todd
    I will buy a copy of your future book , but only if it is “ folded.... not rolled” and in “ mint condition”! ( love that video!)

Lolz.. Did anyone find the last part to that video series?

#536 5 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Has everyone contacted the Sponsors to show them this thread?
    https://www.pinballbuzz.com/sponsors/

Yeah has anyone contacted these sponsors to let them know

tnt (resized).jpgtnt (resized).jpg
    #537 5 years ago

Our Special When Lit Pinball Podcast interview with Todd Tuckey is linked below. He talks about how he started TNT Amusements, buying/selling arcade and pinball, the most recent book debacle, and more. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-24-todd-tuckey-tnt-amusements

Hang Out Todd Tuckey (resized).jpgHang Out Todd Tuckey (resized).jpg
    #538 5 years ago
    Quoted from stpcore:

Our Special When Lit Pinball Podcast interview with Todd Tuckey is linked below. He talks about how he started TNT Amusements, buying/selling arcade and pinball, the most recent book debacle, and more. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!
    http://specialwhenlitpinballpodcast.com/episode-24-todd-tuckey-tnt-amusements

Thanks for the link; can't wait to give it a listen tmw while that Turkey is going!....well, my two playlist items will include your podcast....and a little Alice's Restaurant.

#539 5 years ago

Alice's Restaurant is a must. 101.5 fm WIBA usually plays it 2 or 3 times.

#540 5 years ago

Got my book today....

1) not quite as bad as I imagined it would be, based on previous reviews....
    2) nowhere near what it should be, considering the cost.

This has the quality of a hobby fanzine that ran out of ideas and had page quotas to fill, and chose nonsense as filler.

Without editing.

#541 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

ALL of the pictures will be MINE and not off the internet

Hey Todd. How about making a Pinside avatar for starters.

#542 5 years ago

My full Amazon review:

The publisher seems to be a combative profiteering individual who isn't out for advancing the history, hobby and art of pinball, as much as he's out for a quick buck.
    Todd T. is always an entertaining guy, and no doubt these stories are great, but do yourself a favor and go directly to the source, rather than wasting time and money on this tabloid.

EDIT:
    I bought this book from Amazon so I could offer a more fair review, not based on the personality and manners of the publisher.

The book is the maybe just a touch better quality and size of a typical suburban phone book (back when such a thing existed). It is printed in color, but the printing process is quite terrible as the colors are washed out and the paper quality isn't something you're likely ever to see in what was supposed to be a coffee table style book.

The pictures don't appear to have been made especially for this book, but rather ripped from the internet without regard to resolution or proper attribution to the photographers.

Much of the content seems to have been added just to increase the page count and for little other tangible or artistic reasons.

The art direction and page layout is equal to a no budget / low budget fanzine. While it does have some consistency chapter to chapter, at other times looks like a cut and pasted incoherent mess.

The editing is terrible. Pick a random paragraph in the book, and one can find typos and errors that a high school graduate could have fixed in a single read through. It really makes me believe that the publisher didn't even read the text at all before it was sent to the printer. Just cut and pasted into the pages, and boom - done.

I bought this book, so you didn't have to. It will be done better, eventually.

#543 5 years ago

I teach university English courses, including composition, and I have years of experience in multimedia and printing. Todd, I can offer my services at Tuckey Bargain Basement prices in the name of pinball should you need them. My only requirement is that the work take place in the summer months.

I just found this thread, and I had to delay dinner and grab a big bag of chips. This wins, hands down, as the most entertaining Pinside thread I've ever read. Andrew may be a horrible publisher, but he is a wonderful online entertainer!

#544 5 years ago

Todd and the fine folks of the Special when lit podcast did a great job. if you haven't already go out and listen to it.

#545 5 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

Todd and the fine folks of the Special when lit podcast did a great job. if you haven't already go out and listen to it.

We were very fortunate to have the opportunity to talk with Todd. Very genuine guy with a huge story to tell. Thanks for the kind words regarding the podcast.

#546 5 years ago
    Quoted from TwoHeartedMale:

Came here to say the same thing! Just finished it while working on the house. Great interview

#547 5 years ago

Stay Tuned for my 18 page response! It's coming!

#548 5 years ago
    Quoted from toddtuckey:

Stay Tuned for my 18 page response! It's coming!

Oh hell yeah ... *Grabs popcorn*

#549 5 years ago

I,ll start brewing the coffee Todd!

#550 5 years ago

18 pages! Are they folded or rolled? Either way I’m sure they will be the crem de la crem.

There are 653 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/todd-n-tuckey-book-deal-1o-volumes/page/11?hl=michigandad and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.