8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4057.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Didn't like the blocky clear strobes on either side of the playfield, and found these on Amazon for a few bucks from China. Popcorn buckets. My hope was to create custom brackets out of Lexan, drill the bottoms of these out and use super bright white LEDs in them. Worked like a champ! Much brighter in the video than in real life - it looks blinding in the vid but is actually appropriately bright.

IMG_4057.JPGIMG_4057.JPG

Vertical Video Warning (sorry!)

Also put in the roller coasters on the two ramps, all LEDs with some mixing up of the cointaker kit, red DMD, NVRAM, updated ROMs, fixed Opto with aftermarket Opto receiver and transmitter, yellow powdercoated legs and new hardware, new troll because the old one was nappy, and a couple extra playfield GI lights as the center of the playfield was pretty dark..

So all in all it's running really nicely for my first pinball machine, and since I got it for $400 I had plenty of funds to throw at it. I'm probably a grand into it now, so before you go talking smack about it being an RCT, for $1000 all-in, in this condition, I'm doing alright

Adam

#2 8 years ago

Looks good man!! I do like the popcorn strobes....ill have to copy that one since it's actually in the game. Roller coasters are an obviously choice that I have yet to tinker with. Was the troll tough to replace?? I wanted a more snazzier one back there....but not sure about size on those guys. I seen some motion activated dancing trolls on Amazon but they seem too big to make it work there....maybe somewhere else tho.

Yes.....real chef working just outside of DC.

Not too shabby for your first pin.....nice pick up

#3 8 years ago

Thanks! I was just in DC - ate at... Zatinya? Which was great. Then to NYC late last year to catch WD-50 before it shuttered and Le Bernardin. Both awesome, awesome meals. (Also picked up new cooking knives from Joel at Cut Brooklyn!)

Ok back on topic - the troll is simple - 3 zip ties but you only need to re-attach with two, one on each leg. Look for a troll between 2.5-3.5" tall excluding hair. Get an original Dam brand If you can. The post he is on has cutouts for the heels and butt, and it fits the DAM trolls the best. Others should work fine though as long as the size is right.

Adam

#4 8 years ago

Cool man thanks!! I'm gonna make the troll upgrade than. Did you get the popcorn buckets from Amazon?....that looks really good like that.

Ahhh knives.....I only buy SHUN knives....forged stainless steel with nice beveling and weighted handles without needing a full tang. Gotta love those other "toys"

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Didn't like the blocky clear strobes on either side of the playfield, and found these on Amazon for a few bucks from China. Popcorn buckets. My hope was to create custom brackets out of Lexan, drill the bottoms of these out and use super bright white LEDs in them. Worked like a champ! Much brighter in the video than in real life - it looks blinding in the vid but is actually appropriately bright.
IMG_4057.JPG
Vertical Video Warning (sorry!) » YouTube video
Also put in the roller coasters on the two ramps, all LEDs with some mixing up of the cointaker kit, red DMD, NVRAM, updated ROMs, fixed Opto with aftermarket Opto receiver and transmitter, yellow powdercoated legs and new hardware, new troll because the old one was nappy, and a couple extra playfield GI lights as the center of the playfield was pretty dark..
So all in all it's running really nicely for my first pinball machine, and since I got it for $400 I had plenty of funds to throw at it. I'm probably a grand into it now, so before you go talking smack about it being an RCT, for $1000 all-in, in this condition, I'm doing alright
Adam

That's really cool. This may help you guys, ever notice how the inserts ghost well Pinsider Timebandet is sending me a couple of his resistor boards that he hopes will clean that up. It's plug and play so when I try it out I'll let you guys know. Another mod you might consider is installing Comets pop rings, I love mine.

#6 8 years ago

Do the comet pop rings fit under the stock caps?? I know the edge of the white one is right underneath the left ramp. And the red one partially cut off to fit snug where it sits. Do they raise the pop caps up a bit?

#7 8 years ago

Pinballchef - first things first - I was a Shun guy too until I got my Cut knives. Still love Shuns. Check out http://www.cutbrooklyn.com. I love them. And so does Alton Brown

The pop caps are tricky. I nearly didn't install since you have to lift the left ramp to get in there, but I figured I'd make it work. I cut the red top lens on by bandsaw to fit correctly, and slightly filed the board so it didn't hit the Chicago loop. Then the blue cap was taller than stock and causes the ball to jump the ramp and go off track. I marked it where it was under the left ramp, and took it out to the belt sander and brought it down some. You actually can't tell by looking at the machine but it made enough room that the ball now lunches and travels perfectly.

I got the premium non-ghosting LEDs off Cointaker and haven't noticed any ghosting or noticeable flicker. Machine looks and works great.

I also added an 8" external powered sub underneath which is about like having a shaker motor now. Nice thumps!

I'll find and post the popcorn from Amazon momentarily...

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

Do the comet pop rings fit under the stock caps?? I know the edge of the white one is right underneath the left ramp. And the red one partially cut off to fit snug where it sits. Do they raise the pop caps up a bit?

Yup they fit under the stock jewel caps, you have to hot melt them in. They don't raise the caps up like the Bright caps. To get the one screw out of the white cap that is under the ramp I just used a Dremel and routed out a hole in the ramp to get the screw in and out. I didn't hurt the ramp at all, they are the old thick plastic ramps, you don't notice the hole at all and it doesn't effect the ball . Beats pulling the whole ramp for just the one screw. For the red cut cap I used a red Comet Crystal Fan bulb and it looks good compared to a frosted led.

#10 8 years ago

Sorry I should have added that I used the Bright Caps. The blue bulb was out anyways so I needed to get in there to replace it. Only took a few minutes to loosen up that ramp. 4 screws or so - no need to remove the full ramp.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 18.95
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/todays-mod-for-the-5-rct-players-on-here-p and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.