(Topic ID: 201025)

TODAY WAS THE DAY! I knew it was coming I just didn't know when!

By too-many-pins

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

121_1625 (resized).JPG

#1 6 years ago

I have always said "it isn't a matter of if you are going to break a backglass - it is just a matter of when" if you move enough machines around sooner or later your day will come. Well after about 10 years in the hobby today was the day! Thankfully it wasn't a machine from the collection but it still hurts! Picture tells the rest of the story!

121_1625 (resized).JPG121_1625 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

You've only been doing this for ten years?!

I always figured you as a lifer.

#3 6 years ago

Wow. No just barely broke it. You went. All. The. Way!

#4 6 years ago

I am waiting for someone to identify the title based on the clues in the box.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You've only been doing this for ten years?!
    I always figured you as a lifer.

Actually it wasn't even my hobby. I got involved because my adult son wanted to put a gameroom in his basement. He has kind of lost interest but I am hooked. I suck as far as a pinball player but I love working on them.

Quoted from SirScott:

I am waiting for someone to identify the title based on the clues in the box.

I will not say for now but I will say it was a Gottlieb EM to make the ID a little easier.

Quoted from Billc479:

Wow. No just barely broke it. You went. All. The. Way!

Sadly I did something stupid. I am trying to get a bunch of stuff moved from storage to my climate controlled basement for Winter and all heads with good backglasses are part of what is getting moved. I stacked two heads on the handtruch and came around to the back door. I grabbed the top head and moved that into the basement and just as I was headed out to grab that head the wind blew the head over face down on to the cement patio and that was the end result.

I am still kicking myself for not taking both heads off the "plate" of the handtruch on a windy day but such is life!

#6 6 years ago

Looks to me like the piece with the lettering has the last four letters in the word "target". But it is not a Target Alpha or a Target Pool.

Couldn't have a busted a Coleco, could you?

#7 6 years ago

Glad you weren't hurt as that glass wasn't tempered! Well, its a rite of passage! Welcome to the club

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

Actually it wasn't even my hobby. I got involved because my adult son wanted to put a gameroom in his basement. He has kind of lost interest but I am hooked. I suck as far as a pinball player but I love working on them.

Too bad you live so far away. I love playing them but don't like fixing them.

#9 6 years ago

So sorry you broke your Masquerade backglass.

#10 6 years ago

Sorry for your loss, I know that pain. Bought a nice centipede arcade this summer, only thing wrong was a generic plexi monitor “glass”. Searched Ebay and found a nice original. Bought it, waited a week watching it make its way here from across the country. Hurried home from work in the middle of the shift when it showed delivered, carefully cut the package open and....ugh....completely shattered(of course-tempered). It was like the turkey scene in a Christmas story movie for me...the aroma of centipede monitor glass still hung heavy in the air. (

#11 6 years ago

Soooooo sorry to see that.

Quoted from Alan_L:

Looks to me like the piece with the lettering has the last four letters in the word "target". But it is not a Target Alpha or a Target Pool.
    Couldn't have a busted a Coleco, could you?

"...layer", I think. Upside-down (and backwards, of course) in the pic.

<edit>
    Jvspin's answer looks right.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Sorry for your loss, I know that pain. Bought a nice centipede arcade this summer, only thing wrong was a generic plexi monitor “glass”. Searched Ebay and found a nice original. Bought it, waited a week watching it make its way here from across the country. Hurried home from work in the middle of the shift when it showed delivered, carefully cut the package open and....ugh....completely shattered(of course-tempered). It was like the turkey scene in a Christmas story movie for me...the aroma of centipede monitor glass still hung heavy in the air. (

Had a similar disappointment with a NOS amplifone monitor I bought for my Star Wars arcade game. It was so poorly packed that I kinda believe the guy broke it, then decided to sell it and ship me the broken pieces to collect insurance.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

So sorry you broke your Masquerade backglass.

Impressive! Well Done!

Quoted from Compy:

Glad you weren't hurt as that glass wasn't tempered! Well, its a rite of passage! Welcome to the club

As they say "shit happens" but what bothers me more than anything else is my whole point of moving the head was to protect the backglass - I would have been better off taking my chances leaving it in storage for the Winter!

Anyway now the "first one" is out of the way and I am sure it will not be the last!

#14 6 years ago

Well that stinks, but it's good you were nto hurt.

Chris

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/today-was-the-day-i-knew-it-was-coming-i-just-didnt-know-when and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.