3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Crash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200829_000231 (resized).jpg
    20200828_195305 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Here's something interesting I noticed. Today's Google doodle was about Alexandre Dumas, the author of The Count of Monte Cristo. The doodle featured several illustrated scenes from the 1844 novel. However, there were several scenes illustrated that were in fact not from the book but from the 2002 movie adaptation. In the movie, two of the main characters give each other King chess pieces, which serves as a motif that is recalled in a dramatic scene near the end. None of this was in the book... It seems that Google, in celebrating Dumas for the day, couldn't even bother to check these details and imply that these scenes are his when his novel was vastly different from the movie.

20200828_195305 (resized).jpg20200828_195305 (resized).jpg20200829_000231 (resized).jpg20200829_000231 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

I also disliked when they memorialized that Japanese American lefty woman who applauded 9/11 and called Osama an anti-imperialist freedom fighter. It's one thing to have a nuanced perspective on someone like that, but don't give them the doodle.
    Personally, I use a privacy-oriented search engine called DuckDuckGo for 99.7% of my searches.

Edit:
    I hope this doesn't break the rule against politics. Sorry if it does. It seemed relevant.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

I use a privacy-oriented search engine called DuckDuckGo for 99.7% of my searches.

Me too, and Firefox browser. Even still, with YouTube and Googlemaps, hard to get away from Google completely.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

Me too, and Firefox browser. Even still, with YouTube and Googlemaps, hard to get away from Google completely.

Aside from gmail I'm almost off Google. It's so hard to do because most other things don't have the same features because they don't have the money Google does.

Some of the features I just use signed out. I know I'm not an interesting enough person to track but it's eye opening how connected everything is.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from oldbaby:

Personally, I use a privacy-oriented search engine called DuckDuckGo for 99.7% of my searches.

I've heard good things about DDG and I know a lot of other people who use it. I'm currently using Brave. My only problem is what to do with all that free crypto. Will probably donate it.

4 weeks later
    #6 3 years ago

I deleted my YouTube account last year and migrated off Gmail before that. I used to use Google Maps, but now use Waze. To replace YouTube I am using Dailymotion and Brighteon for the patriotic videos. To replace Gmail, I'm using Proton Mail. To replace Google Drive, I'm using MediaFire which I had an account for years before Google Drive was even a thing. I no longer use Facebook, Google (with the exception of Android, a necessary evil due to lack of viable alternatives), or Microsoft products. I deleted my Facebook account in 2017 or 2018 and no longer use Windows in favor of Linux. I do not use social media of any kind.

Freeing myself from (most) corporate tyranny and spying is great.

#7 3 years ago

Google bought Waze over 5 years ago.

#8 3 years ago

Which is why I say "most." We only have so many options.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/today-s-google-doodle-implies-that-google-isn-t-doing-their-homework?hl=oldbaby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.