(Topic ID: 23156)

To wax or not to wax, that is the question.

By Matt_Rasmussen

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by pinballfan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should you wax your playfield after a good cleaning/polishing?”

• Yes! I always do! 77 votes
      87%
    • No! I would never wax it! 12 votes
      13%

(89 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

25451264.jpg

#1 8 years ago

I've been reading a bunch of forums about waxing playfields and there seems to be some who believe in it and some who don't. Some say that it's only a way to increase the speed of your game (for the vendor to make money) and besides that it actually gets dirty more quickly than not waxing. Some swear by it and say it's required to get 'authentic' play.

What do you think? After you vote, if you care to expound upon your vote I would appreciate it.

#2 8 years ago

Steve Ritchie says he creates his games with the intention they be played waxed.

#3 8 years ago

Love the feeling of the first game on a newly cleaned, freshly waxed playfield!

#4 8 years ago

I think its like when they wax a bowling ally, you need to do it as part of the game. Pro bowlers know when the lane was waxed and reactions of the ball depending on that.

#5 8 years ago

Yeah man, you gotta wax. And do it like a boss. My games look nice with it, but I went to play some of markmon's, specifically his MM and oh em ghee....Was so differently playing it compared to any other game

#6 8 years ago

I clean/wax very thoroughly and make sure that my elbow is tired by the time that I'm done.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far, waxing is way out in front. The main reason I ask is that I'm nearing that stage in my JP cleanup. Perhaps I should have chosen my HSII as my first all around shopping/cleaning and/or waxing project...this one is quite interesting.

So far it's good, I took pictures of each section and also placed the parts from that section in ziplock bags with labels for where it goes, I think it should be a pretty smooth reassembly.

On a side note, looking for some specific JP plastics, the slingshot parts are easy, but I'm looking for some other plastics, if you have a source (or are the source), feel free to reply here or in a private message.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

I think its like when they wax a bowling ally, you need to do it as part of the game. Pro bowlers know when the lane was waxed and reactions of the ball depending on that.

I totally agree here. Except lanes are not waxed, they are oiled (daily, at least). Don't oil your playfield

#9 8 years ago

Never have. I think I might try it out when I get enough time though...even though I had to vote I "never would." Limiting poll.

#10 8 years ago

A nice layer of wax can actually make cleaning down the road much easier as well.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never have. I think I might try it out when I get enough time though...even though I had to vote I "never would." Limiting poll.

Thanks for the vote, but curious what other items I might have added? Seemed like a 'black and white' poll to me.

#12 8 years ago

It's kind of explained in my post. I have not waxed before, but I might try it later, therefore I am in the middle.
    "undecided" "don't care" "don't know" "I just like voting in polls..."

You know how it goes.

#13 8 years ago

Definitely wax, no question. The type is the question. 100% Carnuba for me.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Thanks for the vote, but curious what other items I might have added? Seemed like a 'black and white' poll to me.

Another option could have been something like "sometimes". I don't wax my pins every time I clean, but I do wax them.

#15 8 years ago

I don't wax my pins every time I clean, but I do wax them.

25451264.jpg

#16 8 years ago

I wax the B/WMS games, but not newer Stern or EMs. Take that!

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Not the same. When the lanes are oiled, a good player can adjust his/her game accordingly and still throw strikes. When a pinball machine is waxed, it make the game less predictable. The only adjustment a player can make is to play more defensively. Waxing increases the luck factor significantly. Not so with freshly oiled bowling lanes.

Quoted from copperpot:

I wax the B/WMS games, but not newer Stern or EMs. Take that!

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Not all games should be waxed. Older slower games need wax. It can often improve gameplay. Newer games just need to be cleaned. It kills me that so many folks that are new to the hobby make their game harder right out of the box by waxing, switching to white rubbers and adding protectors. Play it for a month or so as intended, then decide if you want to wax, add white rubbers, etc. At least learn how it should play before you start changing things that affect gameplay.

I didn't vote in the poll because it's not a yes or no question. Some game needs wax, most don't.

#18 8 years ago

Why bother trying to make your playfields last longer, clean easier ?

LTG

#19 8 years ago

Just use Lemon Pledge..just as good and no buildup on starposts, etc.

#20 8 years ago

Wax all pins, no doubt. Repeat every 200-300 plays or 3-4 months, whatever comes first. Cleaner and faster.

Got some dirty ass playfields out there, thats for sure. Gotta keep up with it. Might look clean, but you'll be wiping black before you know it.

#21 8 years ago

Waxing also gives the ball a more "fluid" like flow on the PF, less friction. Yes it does make the game more challenging, which I like because then when I play other machines I play much better I always wax several coats, using a detail ball on my cordless drill delivers a higher buff or polish and keeps my elbows from being destroyed by the wax on and wax off Mr. Miagi method, need my elbows to play

#22 8 years ago

Who ever said NOT to wax?

That's crazy talk!

#23 8 years ago

Definitely wax.

#24 8 years ago

WAX IT ALREADY!!!

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Why bother trying to make your playfields last longer, clean easier ?
    LTG

Curious about this reply, Lloyd are you saying you don't agree with waxing?

#26 8 years ago

Wax but do not obsess...

#27 8 years ago
    Quoted from cichlid:

Who ever said NOT to wax?
    That's crazy talk!

I answered my own question:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-cleaning-and-waxing

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's kind of explained in my post. I have not waxed before, but I might try it later, therefore I am in the middle.
    "undecided" "don't care" "don't know" "I just like voting in polls..."
    You know how it goes.

Why would you not wax your pins?

Remind me not to buy a pin from you.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Curious about this reply, Lloyd are you saying you don't agree with waxing?

No, wax is good. Makes your game last a lot longer.

I thought attacking it from a different perspective would shine light on getting more years out of your pinball machines.

LTG

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

No, wax is good. Makes your game last a lot longer.
    I thought attacking it from a different perspective would shine light on getting more years out of your pinball machines.
    LTG

Oh I got it, just a little to subtle for me evidently.

#31 8 years ago

I have a question. Do you guys still wax your games even when they have a newly clearcoated playfield?

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I have a question. Do you guys still wax your games even when they have a newly clearcoated playfield?

Yes

#33 8 years ago

Yes for me as well

#34 8 years ago

I use meguiars gold class carnauba plus. Makes the game so much faster.

#35 8 years ago

I start with Novus 2, then 3M Finesse-It II, then a carnuba wax with no polish in it. Use it on Diamond Plate up.

Looks incredible.

Pre-Hardcoat games - Magic Eraser w/alcohol and or Novus 2, then Johnson's paste wax, then hit with a heat gun, then polish with polishing rag and repeat the paste wax / heat 2 more times.

But that's just me...

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

No better time to wax!

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Do you guys still wax your games even when they have a newly clearcoated playfield?

Yes, for the same reason I wax a newly clearcoated car (after curing). The wax offers a level of protection above the clear which in turn protects the art/pf. Older boards simply lose the clear level of protection, so wax is even more important to preventing art/pf wear.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Why would you not wax your pins?
    Remind me not to buy a pin from you.

I *have* not waxed them because I've never seen a need to....and the pinball circles i hung out in before this never did it. I had never heard of it till I started snooping around these boards a year ago.
    Waxing makes sense in theory. In my everyday life my PFs aren't getting any worse, so I never saw a need in it.
    All this talk is intriquing to me in this area though. Perhaps I will give it some carnuba-ing and take a look.

No worries on the sale, I've never bought a game from someone that waxed the playfield. And I would not sell you a game cause you're an asshole.

Just kidding

#39 8 years ago

Yes.

Infact, I just got finished waxing both my machines.

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I *have* not waxed them because I've never seen a need to....and the pinball circles i hung out in before this never did it. I had never heard of it till I started snooping around these boards a year ago.
    Waxing makes sense in theory. In my everyday life my PFs aren't getting any worse, so I never saw a need in it.
    All this talk is intriquing to me in this area though. Perhaps I will give it some carnuba-ing and take a look.
    No worries on the sale, I've never bought a game from someone that waxed the playfield. And I would not sell you a game cause you're an asshole.
    Just kidding

Haha! Your post made me laugh, it's all good.

#41 8 years ago

I like Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0. All the benifits of carnuba without the dusty and cake like mess. (noob disclaimer, mileage may very)

#42 8 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

I use meguiars gold class carnauba plus. Makes the game so much faster.

I just switch to this also, the shine is awesome. I also like that its not a liquid but a paste wax. Makes it less messy and doesnt get over all the posts and rubbers.

#43 8 years ago

I waxed my HS with pure carnauba. It definitely made a difference in gameplay. Things are a lot faster and the ball doesn't seem to grab the playfield as much due to it's spin. One thing no one has mentioned is to get new balls (or polish your old ones). My question for everyone is do you wax your balls? (yes I know.. funny stuff). I've heard of a few people doing that but I'm not sure if it does anything good. I tried it once and noticed that the ball spin seemed to really affect how the ball came off of the rubbers. Any little spin on the ball would cause it to go in some odd direction off the rubber.

#44 8 years ago

the best for me its nu finish,syntetical,very durable,d ont leave residual waxe like carnauba.best protection !!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 32.00
    $ 15.95
    $ 259.99
    Pinball Machine
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 41.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 4.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 9.99
    Tools
    PinShield
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 99.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 95.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 29.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside