View topic image gallery

CA0021FF-7FFC-4E12-8ECE-492AF7778D8F (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
8FCB8DB1-9ACD-4566-903F-AEF6286D5018.gif
F5E2EBAE-1002-4945-9543-463244CB26F5 (resized).jpeg
94A82AC1-E651-4683-AE48-5071FD67C0D0 (resized).png
6F955645-718E-491B-8DBB-04E86A54AA34.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ollulanus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

Of course I have an interest in it or I wouldn't be plucking down 14k on a machine. The fact that I don't want to lose money on that purchase makes it illigitmate? LE's are CLEARLY an investment, otherwise people would just buy the Premium. I don't know about you, but when I INVEST in something, the goal IS to make money on it.

Hey man, if you wanna collect boxes to look at I'll be happy sell you my bond LE box for 10k after I take the machine out of it, and you can enjoy your investment.

Don't be surprised when people who enjoy a hobby that is an activity they share with each other call you out on being a boring guy who just wants to say he has some things, stare at a box, and drive up prices on a hobby they enjoy I'm the name of an "investment." There's nothing wrong with trying to be smart and minimize losses, or angle for a little return in the long run - but if you're willing to stare at a box for a year to "max your investment," you aren't into pinball, you're into money. If you're suprised people call you out on screwing with the hobby they enjoy because you can't find a better place to put your money, you should have seen it coming. Have a tissue.

#50 1 year ago

It sounds, though, like your actual question may have been "is an LE worth more with, or without, mods?" That's not an unreasonable question, but the question you asked was "will I get more for this LE of I don't open it, or if I take it out and mod it." You should clearly see the difference if that's the case, and why people would find the later question obnoxious.

The better answer to the first question though, is to improve the question again: how much value do YOU get out of modding your pins? I mod my stuff for me, and look at it as spent money, and always offer to take whatever back to stock if someone prefers when selling/trading later. Enjoy that wall color you like, but plan to paint the house beige when you move down the road.

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

We need a good old-fashioned recession to slap this pinball investment nonsense out of people. The last couple years have sure been a shit show.
Unbox the fucking game and play it.

Or, auction off this thread

Quoted from Mbecker:

They were designed with a strict budget, and often things get cut. So if that’s what you want with the stock game - what the mnftr could get in the BoM to max profit - then great. I’d say Mods are generally a net loss yes, but they do tend to raise the game selling price and people are paying for it. Mods I install I do so because I enjoy them while I have the pin. I accept there will be some loss, but generally I expect to get 50% to 75% of the cost back depending on mod and the loss was my enjoyment of the mod while I owned the pin.

This. I spend money on all sorts of dumb shit to have a good time. I do not expect a return on dinner out, not do I on mods. That's spent money I did for my entertainment.

That said, mods can absolutely improve a game and increase value to many folks. GZ is a great example of this - there are several mods I simply can't imagine anyone not wanting once they see them installed. I wired a Funko Zilla with lighted blue fle breath, and that is NOT gonna be for everyone. However, Mezels buildings 100% improve the look of the game, and I can't imagine anyone saying otherwise. You could debate the cost - I did, but once I got them and saw them, I was totally cool with the 300+ I spent on the lot. Prolly wouldn't expect it to increase the value that much, but it damn well should increase it a couple hundred. Likewise, the lighted Tesla towers are a really lovely addition in action, and I can't imagine anyone not preferring them once you see them going. The flaming speakers are just badass too...I suppose someone might not like them? Maybe my grandmother? She was pretty cool though, so prolly her too...

Shoving random toys, or putting on a specific powder coat - that's gonna be for you only though.

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I’m here to expand your imagination - I think they look garish and do not match the aesthetic of the rest of the game. I prefer the original buildings much more. If you like them I am not knocking that, though. Mods are very personal and it can’t be assumed everyone likes any given mod.

To each their own, but have you seen them actually on a game? Lighting really makes them IMO. And yeah, I get not everything is for everyone...but I guess I find the original plastics so uninspired that I have a hard time imagining preferring them. I mostly ordered them because I disliked the backboard, was surprised by how much I liked them installed and lit.

At any rate, like I said - I always assume mods are for me and are sunk cost, and keep all the stuff to take it back to stock if someone prefers.

#140 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. Legit modification of the original question. I preordered a ts4ce day one. My friend ordered an le. He has his and I played it. I don’t think it’s a long term keeper for me. Now my ce is ready. I have a chance at a like new out of box one for much less. Comparable price to if I just ditch my deposit on my CE. I’m thinking, get the open one and play for a while then if it doesn’t click (pretty sure it won’t as I’ve played it), sell it?

I mean, if you already know you aren't a huge fan, and you can play your buddy's to boot, I'd just try to get a few hundred for your deposit and walk...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Print2pin

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 23.95
Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 14.95
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ollulanus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-un-box-or-not-for-resale?tu=ollulanus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.