View topic image gallery

CA0021FF-7FFC-4E12-8ECE-492AF7778D8F (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
8FCB8DB1-9ACD-4566-903F-AEF6286D5018.gif
F5E2EBAE-1002-4945-9543-463244CB26F5 (resized).jpeg
94A82AC1-E651-4683-AE48-5071FD67C0D0 (resized).png
6F955645-718E-491B-8DBB-04E86A54AA34.gif
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 1 year ago

How much value is there to an un-boxed LE, compared to one that has been modded with low plays? I like to personalize my pins, but tis is my first LE and I don't want to ruin the value on it for future resale or trades. Thinking a Pre would be the way to go for heavy mods.

#2 1 year ago

Every title is different. It is impossible to predict if an LE will be more valuable or when it would peak. As far as NIB vs. modded, it's all about the individual byer.

The additional factor with Bond is the release of the 60th LE which will disrupt the market like no other.

#3 1 year ago

LE's are investments. Keep them boxed.

#4 1 year ago

I, personally, don't love mods. Everyone's taste is different. I've seen some HIGHLY modded pins that the seller is asking a huge premium for which, in my own view, actually makes me want to pay less as they go beyond "tasteful"

#5 1 year ago

I keep all my LE's in the boxes, wrapped in bubble wrap in crates lined with lead and outsides with golf leaf in an underground bunker 40 stories below in a pool of radioactive waste surrounded by sharks with freaking laser beams.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

I was wondering how much more it increases the value of an un-boxed LE, from a private seller, compared to one that has been tastefully modded to make to make it a showpiece. And how long does it generally take for an LE to reach it's maximum price point?

It really depends.

A NIB Addams family Gold might go for $30,000 today if it were still boxed and sealed.

A really nice (minty) one with mods that someone swore had never been played would go for 20ish I'm guessing.

Something newish? Godzilla? Don't think it would make a difference.

Not everyone has the same taste in mods.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

A NIB Addams family Gold might go for $30,000 today if it were still boxed and sealed.

I would worry about battery damage, or any moisture damage rust etc in a 30+ year old game still sealed.
Proper storage helps but still you never know what may have happened over the years even if the box looks fine.
Could be a missing part or some other defect or flaw, warping raised inserts etc. also.

I think I'd buy the open one that looks never played. But that's just me...

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

This. Imagine buying a used pin...gross. I don't think I could live with that shame haunting me.

#9 1 year ago

I leave my pins in the boxes and cut small holes so I can press the flipper buttons. The holes also allow me to sniff inside the box and smell my investment as it ripens.

#10 1 year ago

If you have to ask, it shows you haven’t done your research

If you’re going to sell it as a NIB machine, then leave it boxed.

If not, then price should reflect it’s no longer new in box. Doesn’t matter what mods you put on it, as already mentioned, some people don’t care for mods. And what you think looks nice/horrible, will be viewed differently by someone else.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

...compared to one that has been tastefully modded to make to make it a showpiece.

haha. Small step from "Showpiece" to "Shitshow."

#12 1 year ago

First off there's zero guarantee that all LE's go up in value (Look at WWE, GNR, TS4, Mando, etc.) Also, as a buyer I'd rather see the games condition check out QC make sure there's no issues; you don't have that luxury if it's NIB.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I keep all my LE's in the boxes, wrapped in bubble wrap in crates lined with lead and outsides with golf leaf in an underground bunker 40 stories below in a pool of radioactive waste surrounded by sharks with freaking laser beams.

Show off. I couldn't afford the sharks with freakin laser beams.

#14 1 year ago

Don't mod the machine. LE's are collectable. Mods are shit.

As for boxing/unboxing, it depends. For a collector, you would NEVER want to unbox the game.

For a family, who wants a working game, I'd discuss it with the buyer first. Most Stern pinballs have problems right out of the box. A certain amount of them are completely unplayable, and it's a nasty surprise if the customer is expecting a working machine to deliver a not-yet-tested machine.

For NON-LE machines, I almost insist on delivering new out-of-the-box because of the high numbers of bad software, bad flash cards, bad cpu node boards, bad node board 8's bad, bad, bad. I like to get all that fixed before the customer sees it.

But LE's are a different animal.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

But LE's are a different animal.

They're also just games. You know, for playing?

Quoted from Zablon:

I was a little worried about your games becoming radioactive, but then I realized the genius of the lead lining. This is someone who knows how to take care of their games.

#16 1 year ago

how do I know you didn't switch the game out for a non working em?

#17 1 year ago

You guys take delivery of your LEs? Pfft.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

If you have to ask, it shows you haven’t done your research
If you’re going to sell it as a NIB machine, then leave it boxed.
If not, then price should reflect it’s no longer new in box. Doesn’t matter what mods you put on it, as already mentioned, some people don’t care for mods. And what you think looks nice/horrible, will be viewed differently by someone else.

Cars drop 10k when you drive them off the lot right? So should pins

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Cars drop 10k when you drive them off the lot right? So should pins

So I owe someone 3k just for opening my pro?

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

First off there's zero guarantee that all LE's go up in value (Look at WWE, GNR, TS4, Mando, etc.) Also, as a buyer I'd rather see the games condition check out QC make sure there's no issues; you don't have that luxury if it's NIB.

You are always going to have bears and bulls. The bulls should outweigh and offset the bears if you know what you're doing.

#21 1 year ago

The answer is: it depends. On the pin, the buyer, the year and month, the mods. So really there is not an answer to your question.

#22 1 year ago

Hi, I'm new and looking for some scalping advice. Which would you stupid assholes prefer, nib or if I open it and stick a bunch of expensive children's toys inside? Which would maximize my profit?

#23 1 year ago

Don't buy pinballs for speculation. Speculators add zero value to the hobby and only drive up the costs for people who actually love and enjoy pinball.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Hi, I'm new and looking for some scalping advice. Which would you stupid assholes prefer, nib or if I open it and stick a bunch of expensive children's toys inside? Which would maximize my profit?

Why not both?

MBIB — Modded, back in box

#25 1 year ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Why not both?
MBIB — Modded, back in box

Isn't that basically what the pinball refinery does?

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Isn't that basically what the pinball refinery does?

Touché!

#27 1 year ago

Maybe split the difference and mod the box. Art blades on the box, shaker add on for the box, invisiglass window for the box, it could be like a cool fort and still retain the NIB value.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

Maybe split the difference and mod the box. Art blades on the box, shaker add on for the box, invisiglass window for the box, it could be like a cool fort and still retain the NIB value.

Maybe the box should come boxed in a larger box. That way you could unbox your pin and it will still be boxed, thereby protecting its box virginity. The inner box can be hermetically sealed to ensure it remains filled with genuine Stern factory air.

#29 1 year ago

All “mods” decrease the initial price at which the negotiations start at for me.

#30 1 year ago

I sold my boxed LE pins and bought Taylor Swift tickets.

#31 1 year ago

I have long suspected that LE buyers had no interest in pinball, and this thread confirms it.

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

Maybe the box should come boxed in a larger box. That way you could unbox your pin and it will still be boxed, thereby protecting its box virginity. The inner box can be hermetically sealed to ensure it remains filled with genuine Stern factory air.

Lol that is GENIUS

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

I was wondering how much more it increases the value of an un-boxed LE, from a private seller, compared to one that has been tastefully modded to make to make it a showpiece. And how long does it generally take for an LE to reach it's maximum price point?

Fucking for real? How to increase value, buy five and burn the other four. I'm trying to be nice, but shit man.

#34 1 year ago

Ugh.. sad this has become part of the hobby now....

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I have long suspected that LE buyers had no interest in pinball, and this thread confirms it.

Of course I have an interest in it or I wouldn't be plucking down 14k on a machine. The fact that I don't want to lose money on that purchase makes it illigitmate? LE's are CLEARLY an investment, otherwise people would just buy the Premium. I don't know about you, but when I INVEST in something, the goal IS to make money on it.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ugh.. sad this has become part of the hobby now....

Collecting stamps or classic cars is also a hobby. What makes your "hobby" immune from capitalism? The LEs are collector pieces by their nature are made to appriciate in value in theroy due to thie low run and high end enhancement. That's why they make premiums for the purest.

#37 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Fucking for real? How to increase value, buy five and burn the other four. I'm trying to be nice, but shit man.

Ahhh, yeah... Trying to increase the value on an investment piece. What a concept. Sorry the thought of capitalism enrages you so much, comrade.

#38 1 year ago

Huh. I never thought LEs were “intended” to increase in value as an investment. Never saw any marketing materials touting these an investment. I always saw it more as a way for pin manufacturers to make more money by offering some extra bling that they could sell at a premium compared to the added manufacturing cost.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Don't buy pinballs for speculation. Speculators add zero value to the hobby and only drive up the costs for people who actually love and enjoy pinball.

It would seem to me that the LE's are intentually made to be collectable pieces by their low production numbers and high end treatment. Not to mention the high price for the exclusivity. This is my first LE, but I like to mod my stuff. I just don't want to jack up my purchase.

#40 1 year ago

Advice here for a flip job?
Good luck with that comrade.

#41 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

Of course I have an interest in it or I wouldn't be plucking down 14k on a machine. The fact that I don't want to lose money on that purchase makes it illigitmate? LE's are CLEARLY an investment, otherwise people would just buy the Premium. I don't know about you, but when I INVEST in something, the goal IS to make money on it.

Hey man, if you wanna collect boxes to look at I'll be happy sell you my bond LE box for 10k after I take the machine out of it, and you can enjoy your investment.

Don't be surprised when people who enjoy a hobby that is an activity they share with each other call you out on being a boring guy who just wants to say he has some things, stare at a box, and drive up prices on a hobby they enjoy I'm the name of an "investment." There's nothing wrong with trying to be smart and minimize losses, or angle for a little return in the long run - but if you're willing to stare at a box for a year to "max your investment," you aren't into pinball, you're into money. If you're suprised people call you out on screwing with the hobby they enjoy because you can't find a better place to put your money, you should have seen it coming. Have a tissue.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

When I buy pinball machines, it's to play and enjoy them.
When I invest, it's in stocks, bonds, or mutual funds.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Sorry buying an investment piece, which an LE clearly is, and not looking to lose money on it gets you so riled up. I'm sure you're a purest who only buys from dealers and then makes sure to always sell it for less than you paid, even if it's a hot title. Make sure you stay out of the stock market too. That would just drive you insane with what those guys are trying to do. And I was refering to paint and light mods like the beloved "refinery" pins. Now go play with your toys and settle down.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

At last! Somebody gets it.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Huh. I never thought LEs were “intended” to increase in value as an investment. Never saw any marketing materials touting these an investment. I always saw it more as a way for pin manufacturers to make more money by offering some extra bling that they could sell at a premium compared to the added manufacturing cost.

One look at the resale market would say otherwise.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Advice here for a flip?
Good luck with that comrade.

LOL. Clearly. I sense much anger.

#47 1 year ago

We need a good old-fashioned recession to slap this pinball investment nonsense out of people. The last couple years have sure been a shit show.
Unbox the fucking game and play it.

#48 1 year ago

LE's IMO aren't worth it & are kinda overrated. It's basically a Premium with a lame ass certificate.

#49 1 year ago
Quoted from radium:

I leave my pins in the boxes and cut small holes so I can press the flipper buttons. The holes also allow me to sniff inside the box and smell my investment as it ripens.

Quoted from Tranquilize:

Quoted from radium:

You guys are on a roll. I cracked up at these!!!

#50 1 year ago

It sounds, though, like your actual question may have been "is an LE worth more with, or without, mods?" That's not an unreasonable question, but the question you asked was "will I get more for this LE of I don't open it, or if I take it out and mod it." You should clearly see the difference if that's the case, and why people would find the later question obnoxious.

The better answer to the first question though, is to improve the question again: how much value do YOU get out of modding your pins? I mod my stuff for me, and look at it as spent money, and always offer to take whatever back to stock if someone prefers when selling/trading later. Enjoy that wall color you like, but plan to paint the house beige when you move down the road.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
$ 19.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

11,100 (OBO)
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ChainsawMods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 79.99
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-un-box-or-not-for-resale?hl=jonnyqtrek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.