View topic image gallery

CA0021FF-7FFC-4E12-8ECE-492AF7778D8F (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
8FCB8DB1-9ACD-4566-903F-AEF6286D5018.gif
F5E2EBAE-1002-4945-9543-463244CB26F5 (resized).jpeg
94A82AC1-E651-4683-AE48-5071FD67C0D0 (resized).png
6F955645-718E-491B-8DBB-04E86A54AA34.gif

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 1 year ago
Quoted from Vino:

Be honest, before you opened thread anyone else initially thinking …Supreme?
[quoted image]

#102 1 year ago

Please rename the thread:

How to win friends and influence people.

#103 1 year ago

Of all the ways to try and make money NIB Pinball has to be one of the dumbest. Just the hassle of the size and weight makes no sense to me. Why not scalp tickets, toys, shoes, watches or any of the thousand items that are way less hassle and more profitable.

#104 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

If 1000 is not rare then why don't you point a few out to me that are still available at MSRP from any production run. While your at it, check the market and find me all of those LE's listed on it for sale that are below the original new price. And don't forget to show me all those NIBs that sellers are giving away below MSRP. Sheeesh, do a modicum of research. And furthermore, you are an enthusiast, not a hobbiest. You people need to quit calling it a "hobby" and get all rabid on somebody that has a different view of than you. Your passion about it is clearly far more than a casual hobby.

I’ve owned a lot of pinballs that they made way less than 1000 of TOTAL (not just 1 version). 1000 examples is absolutely not rare in this hobby.

There was a guy selling a NiB Williams High Speed on here last year. I don’t think the pricing difference was enough to warrant the 30 years of storage. Open it or don’t open it.

#105 1 year ago

For the last 2 years people have been over paying for LE’s. Prices simply cannot hold. There will be a lot of pain for LE holders in the future.

#106 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

When a DVD at Walmart has "Collectors Edition" on it, that's a farce. When 1,000 pieces are made that are distinctly different from the others, then that is indeed "Limited" which makes it collectable. I also fail to understand, (obviously) why so many feel they are the guardians of the pinball industry, and defending THEIR "hobby" against anyone who doesn't share the exact same purest mentality. You enjoy it your way and the same to any one else.

Yeah, you are a genius. We all know Subaru limiteds aren't limted. What you don't understand "collectable" means someone that likes to collect and enjoy having the piece in thier collection. In pinball, that means playing the machine. You are just a flipper, not a collector. You add zero value. God if I would say what I'm thinking I would get moderated.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I mean this reeks of a troll account but if not then just ignore the salty’s who think they somehow own the hobby because they’ve been around 5-10-20 years thumbs upping each other in the buttholes to declare victory upon noobs.
The hobby needs warm bodies to soak up the LE’s so thank you…personally I would tear off the box, play it til it breaks and send it on Craigslist…but I’m middle age with FU money watching friends and peers drop dead left n right or going thru bs like anal fissures, colostomy bags and chemo so yeah…but maybe times on your side so let that bitch get dusty in the box and forget the mods. Certainly a smarter move than the ding dongs who cut equity line checks to FTX…
Your money, your game…so Doowutchyalike

Middle age with those issues? Wow I hope you are taking care of yourself better than your friends!

#108 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Please rename the thread:
How to win friends and influence people.

#109 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

For the last 2 years people have been over paying for LE’s. Prices simply cannot hold. There will be a lot of pain for LE holders in the future.

8FCB8DB1-9ACD-4566-903F-AEF6286D5018.gif8FCB8DB1-9ACD-4566-903F-AEF6286D5018.gif
#110 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

distinctly,guardians,their

Purist....

#111 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

What you don't understand "collectable" means someone that likes to collect

That’s not what that word means….

Flippers of the world unite! You have helped manufacturers multiply and thrive in the age of the console wars! Can it help them get through recession? Just like craft beers, we only need so many pinball manufacturers. If people want to sink shrinking dollars into cardboard boxes filled with engineering marvels, who are we to judge? Don’t be a hater, start selling extra large non-acid acrylic boxes.

#112 1 year ago
Quoted from gcr3579:

Did that. Retired at 51. Work is for suckers.

Yeah, it's going to be work trying to make any money on this one that you already paid inflated market price for.

#113 1 year ago

Keep NIB, way more upside.

#114 1 year ago
Quoted from Trogdor:

That’s not what that word means….
Flippers of the world unite! You have helped manufacturers multiply and thrive in the age of the console wars! Can it help them get through recession? Just like craft beers, we only need so many pinball manufacturers. If people want to sink shrinking dollars into cardboard boxes filled with engineering marvels, who are we to judge? Don’t be a hater, start selling extra large non-acid acrylic boxes.

I meant for people that actually want the item for their collection, the enthusiest; not for people just trying to flip.

#115 1 year ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I keep all my LE's in the boxes, wrapped in bubble wrap in crates lined with lead and outsides with golf leaf in an underground bunker 40 stories below in a pool of radioactive waste surrounded by sharks with freaking laser beams.

The bubble wrap seems a tad excessive…

#116 1 year ago

I assume every area has one or two flippers that originally loved pinball, but now spend the day trolling Facebook Market place or Craigslist snatching up any reasonably price machine. They wipe it down with a dirty rag and repost it for a grand more the next day. I hate them so much, and hope their pins never sell. I guess what I am saying is open you pin, play the shit out of it and when you don’t get any joy playing it sell it to some one that will love it again. Price TBD when that time comes. I love new pinball machine day it is like Christmas and Labor Day rolled up into one, such a great feeling!

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnTTwo:

Keep NIB, way more upside.

I dunno. I see more upside in playing it.
I like pinball though.

#119 1 year ago
Quoted from justyn:

I, personally, don't love mods. Everyone's taste is different. I've seen some HIGHLY modded pins that the seller is asking a huge premium for which, in my own view, actually makes me want to pay less as they go beyond "tasteful"

Ya, these are the same folks who put out inflatable Christmas Grinches, reindeer, snowmen and whatever else in their frontyard. Classy.

#120 1 year ago

You shouldn’t, you have no idea what is going on in a persons life that leads them to do what they do.

Quoted from SirMachismo:

I hate them so much, and hope their pins never sell.

Hate is a strong word for things that in the end don’t really matter.

#121 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

You shouldn’t, you have no idea what is going on in a persons life that leads them to do what they do.

Hate is a strong word for things that in the end don’t really matter.

Fair enough, I dislike them.

#122 1 year ago

My thoughts are that mods on any model decrease the value in any pin. Sure they cost money and time, but the pin is no longer what it was originally designed and engineered to be. That money, that time does not translate to (X) amount more than the normal resale value. I would argue its actually (X) amount LESS than normal resale value IMO. There are always exceptions mind you and I can think of a few, like... Tron for instance. A modded Tron is a work of art and what the pin should have been all along. Most others? Eh

Many pins get over modded by enthusiasts and its like the car community. A heavily modded car is cool when its new. A heavily modded car is cool 10 years after it came out. A heavily modded car is a bit dated once its 15 years old and a heavy modded car that is nearing 25-30+ years old is almost worthless and nobody cares about the mods. Someone buying a heavily modded car (or pin) all these years later is almost certainly going to source parts to restore the damn thing to its original state.

I'm not anti-mod, but in context of resale value I think they are a lose-lose. Mod your pins if you don't plan to sell them basically.

#124 1 year ago

The more beverages I enjoy the more I want video of OP unboxing this thing and pumping his fists.

#125 1 year ago
Quoted from superNoid:

My thoughts are that mods on any model decrease the value in any pin. Sure they cost money and time, but the pin is no longer what it was originally designed and engineered to be.

Who gives a shit. The point is you (the owner) enjoy how the thing looks and plays. Man...its pinball.....play the damn thing...enjoy it...not everything in life has to be some type of calculated investment....that's kind of a buzzkill.

#126 1 year ago
Quoted from superNoid:

My thoughts are that mods on any model decrease the value in any pin. Sure they cost money and time, but the pin is no longer what it was originally designed and engineered to be. That money, that time does not translate to (X) amount more than the normal resale value. I would argue its actually (X) amount LESS than normal resale value IMO. There are always exceptions mind you and I can think of a few, like... Tron for instance. A modded Tron is a work of art and what the pin should have been all along. Most others? Eh
Many pins get over modded by enthusiasts and its like the car community. A heavily modded car is cool when its new. A heavily modded car is cool 10 years after it came out. A heavily modded car is a bit dated once its 15 years old and a heavy modded car that is nearing 25-30+ years old is almost worthless and nobody cares about the mods. Someone buying a heavily modded car (or pin) all these years later is almost certainly going to source parts to restore the damn thing to its original state.
I'm not anti-mod, but in context of resale value I think they are a lose-lose. Mod your pins if you don't plan to sell them basically.

They were designed with a strict budget, and often things get cut. So if that’s what you want with the stock game - what the mnftr could get in the BoM to max profit - then great. I’d say Mods are generally a net loss yes, but they do tend to raise the game selling price and people are paying for it. Mods I install I do so because I enjoy them while I have the pin. I accept there will be some loss, but generally I expect to get 50% to 75% of the cost back depending on mod and the loss was my enjoyment of the mod while I owned the pin.

#127 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

We need a good old-fashioned recession to slap this pinball investment nonsense out of people. The last couple years have sure been a shit show.
Unbox the fucking game and play it.

Or, auction off this thread

Quoted from Mbecker:

They were designed with a strict budget, and often things get cut. So if that’s what you want with the stock game - what the mnftr could get in the BoM to max profit - then great. I’d say Mods are generally a net loss yes, but they do tend to raise the game selling price and people are paying for it. Mods I install I do so because I enjoy them while I have the pin. I accept there will be some loss, but generally I expect to get 50% to 75% of the cost back depending on mod and the loss was my enjoyment of the mod while I owned the pin.

This. I spend money on all sorts of dumb shit to have a good time. I do not expect a return on dinner out, not do I on mods. That's spent money I did for my entertainment.

That said, mods can absolutely improve a game and increase value to many folks. GZ is a great example of this - there are several mods I simply can't imagine anyone not wanting once they see them installed. I wired a Funko Zilla with lighted blue fle breath, and that is NOT gonna be for everyone. However, Mezels buildings 100% improve the look of the game, and I can't imagine anyone saying otherwise. You could debate the cost - I did, but once I got them and saw them, I was totally cool with the 300+ I spent on the lot. Prolly wouldn't expect it to increase the value that much, but it damn well should increase it a couple hundred. Likewise, the lighted Tesla towers are a really lovely addition in action, and I can't imagine anyone not preferring them once you see them going. The flaming speakers are just badass too...I suppose someone might not like them? Maybe my grandmother? She was pretty cool though, so prolly her too...

Shoving random toys, or putting on a specific powder coat - that's gonna be for you only though.

#128 1 year ago
Quoted from Ollulanus:

However, Mezels buildings 100% improve the look of the game, and I can't imagine anyone saying otherwise.

I’m here to expand your imagination - I think they look garish and do not match the aesthetic of the rest of the game. I prefer the original buildings much more. If you like them I am not knocking that, though. Mods are very personal and it can’t be assumed everyone likes any given mod.

#129 1 year ago
Quoted from jackd104:

I’m here to expand your imagination - I think they look garish and do not match the aesthetic of the rest of the game. I prefer the original buildings much more. If you like them I am not knocking that, though. Mods are very personal and it can’t be assumed everyone likes any given mod.

To each their own, but have you seen them actually on a game? Lighting really makes them IMO. And yeah, I get not everything is for everyone...but I guess I find the original plastics so uninspired that I have a hard time imagining preferring them. I mostly ordered them because I disliked the backboard, was surprised by how much I liked them installed and lit.

At any rate, like I said - I always assume mods are for me and are sunk cost, and keep all the stuff to take it back to stock if someone prefers.

#130 1 year ago
Quoted from superNoid:

A heavily modded car is cool when its new. A heavily modded car is cool 10 years after it came out. A heavily modded car is a bit dated once its 15 years old and a heavy modded car that is nearing 25-30+ years old is almost worthless and nobody cares about the mods. Someone buying a heavily modded car (or pin) all these years later is almost certainly going to source parts to restore the damn thing to its original state

I see it all the time in the collector car world. All those poor TA's who have lost their original engine with some new shitty chevy sitting in them.

#131 1 year ago

On opening/not opening, modding etc.

I opened this thread and then modified it with this post. I’m now closing the thread back up.

iMHO this thread was worth more before I opened it and knew what was in it.

#132 1 year ago

Just wait for the for sale ad. Or has that happened already?

#133 1 year ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Middle age with those issues? Wow I hope you are taking care of yourself better than your friends!

I’m trying by…avoiding animal products…pharmaceuticals unless absolutely necessary to save my life…processed food with any preservatives or food coloring…nitrates…alcohol…most gluten and any gmo’s…and recently cut out nuts to lower cholesterol…and something most people don’t think about like unnatural soaps, toothpastes and deodorants

So yeah…I show up to the neighborhood barbecues refusing to eat their shit or drink their drinks, all the while smelling like a polecat

#134 1 year ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

I’m trying by…avoiding animal products…pharmaceuticals unless absolutely necessary to save my life…processed food with any preservatives or food coloring…nitrates…alcohol…most gluten and any gmo’s…and recently cut out nuts to lower cholesterol…and something most people don’t think about like unnatural soaps, toothpastes and deodorants
So yeah…I show up to the neighborhood barbecues refusing to eat their shit or drink their drinks, all the while smelling like a polecat

Polecat! Good for you though, in the end our health is all that matters.

#135 1 year ago

Ok. Legit modification of the original question. I preordered a ts4ce day one. My friend ordered an le. He has his and I played it. I don’t think it’s a long term keeper for me. Now my ce is ready. I have a chance at a like new out of box one for much less. Comparable price to if I just ditch my deposit on my CE. I’m thinking, get the open one and play for a while then if it doesn’t click (pretty sure it won’t as I’ve played it), sell it?

#136 1 year ago

I won't agree with you or slam you. It seems you're getting enough as it is. I just miss the good old days when pinball was pinball. I'm not into the whole three different versions of the same game. I don't enjoy pins that you'd need a 324 page book to understand the ruleset either.I also tend to yell at clouds, so there is that.... Don't even get me started on toppers.

#137 1 year ago

Sorry I've been busy the last few days and haven't had time to read any more considerate and thoughtful replies to my post since I responded to the last batch. I appreciate all the comments and whether you meant to or not, it has helped me decide what to do. 1. Keep it in the box. 2. Hold it for 12 to 18 months. 3. Sell it to some rube with a lot of money. THANKS! Merry Christmas to all. Feel free to continue to blaze away, I'm done with this thread untill I post the money train that came in. Whoo, whooo!

#138 1 year ago

King of the Douches right here

#139 1 year ago

IMO much more money could be made with this investment if you converted box into gloryhole.

#140 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. Legit modification of the original question. I preordered a ts4ce day one. My friend ordered an le. He has his and I played it. I don’t think it’s a long term keeper for me. Now my ce is ready. I have a chance at a like new out of box one for much less. Comparable price to if I just ditch my deposit on my CE. I’m thinking, get the open one and play for a while then if it doesn’t click (pretty sure it won’t as I’ve played it), sell it?

I mean, if you already know you aren't a huge fan, and you can play your buddy's to boot, I'd just try to get a few hundred for your deposit and walk...

#141 1 year ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#142 1 year ago
Quoted from acedanger:

IMO much more money could be made with this investment if you converted box into gloryhole.

Not nowadays.

#143 1 year ago
Quoted from Methos:

Not nowadays.

There's the voice of experience.

#144 1 year ago

Edit: Saw OP's last response, so removed my input. Pinside needs a remindme option so I can come back to this and be sad about the huge profit he's going to make on this

#145 1 year ago
Quoted from cookpins:

Edit: Saw OP's last response, so removed my input. Pinside needs a remindme option so I can come back to this and be sad about the huge profit he's going to make on this

He'll have more money than friends. I know what's more important

#146 1 year ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

He'll have more money than friends. I know what's more important.

Well, you can't sell your friends for money, but if you have money can you buy better friends?

#147 1 year ago

There are bond LEs available at MSRP or close to it right now. With the exception of Godzilla, recent LEs aren't selling for a ton over MSRP right now.
If you want to sit on one for 12 to 18 months, I don't think there's as big a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow as you think.
If you have 14,000 to sit on for 12 to 18 months, nobody would recommend the best way to make money off that is to flip pinball machines
Finally, there's been a handful of reports of people receiving bond LEs where the box is totally fine, but they open up the box and it's damaged. Not sure what your recourse will be if you wait 12 to 18 months for your buyer to open and find out it's damaged.

#148 1 year ago

We don't know where the value of Bond LE will go since we don't know how popular the game will be. It's all about demand compared to the fixed supply. If it's a blockbuster like Godzilla that everyone wants, it'll shoot up. If it's a dud like Mandalorian that nobody wants, it'll sag. Or it might be completely average and hold but not gain or drop. That last is probably the most likely.

#149 1 year ago

if you didn't buy it to play, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. LE's don't go up in value any more than the other versions. Sometimes less, because if you want to make the same % return, you have to have it go up in value more than the pros or premiums to make the same % return.

#150 1 year ago

Who cares about the box as long as the shooter lane is pristine

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 59.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Print2pin
Toppers
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mead, WA
$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods
Other
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Lockport, IL
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop
Men
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 300.00
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 35.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-un-box-or-not-for-resale/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.