New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 48102)

To those upset at Stern

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 57 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by flynnibus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 years ago

Sorry we've been a little less supportive than we should be. A lot of guys, myself included, don't feel like Stern has deeply wronged anybody, but in the rush to state that opinion, I hope it hasn't seemed that we still don't feel bad for your situation.

It sucks to not get something you think you have locked up. For those that had the rug pulled out from under them, I'm sorry. I've complained about your venting, but if it helps to do so, feel free. I'll stop complaining about the complaining.

To be clear on my stance, we just don't know exactly how it all played out. There's a ton of he said, she said that's muddying the truth, but we do know that there were simply not enough games to go around. I hope that those who wanted LEs end up happy with Premiums or have better luck on another LE run for a different game. Sorry if it seemed like I was indifferent to your disappointment, I'm not, I just don't feel right ripping Stern to shreds over the current situation.

Hugs.

#2 7 years ago

I agree, I'm in your boat that I don't believe anything bad has really happened but I do understand it is upsetting and frustrating to anyone who's missed out due to no fault of their own.

#3 7 years ago

As long as I get my money back (with interest), I'm OK.

#4 7 years ago

As long as I get a free Star Trek LE, I'm OK.

#5 7 years ago

As long as I can still complain about something, I'm ok.

#6 7 years ago

This place isn't a out coddling people's emotions. I see no reason we need to be supportive. It's not like anyone lost his kid. Worst case, person has to buy a premium and save a few bucks. Get over it. Sheesh. At least all this fussing has made the perceived value of the game go up enough that I can flip mine for decent profit.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

At least all this fussing has made the perceived value of the game go up enough that I can flip mine for decent profit.

Yeah maybe you can turn enough profit to be able to buy a few more sheets of invisiglass. Way to be sympathetic to those that that had the rug pulled out from under them. I wonder why you ever open your mouth at times.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yeah maybe you can turn enough profit to be able to buy a few more sheets of invisiglass. Way to be sympathetic to those that that had the rug pulled out from under them. I wonder why you ever open your mouth at times.

Maybe. Or maybe I can just pocket the money and enjoy it. Who knows? I wouldn't even be flaunting this fact if it weren't for so much whining around here over this. The more people whine and complain, the more I feel the needs to post against them.

#9 7 years ago

why the hell would someone make a bunch of money, just to piss it away on something as useless like invisiglass? Might as well wipe your ass with it if that's the case.

#10 7 years ago

I

Quoted from Eryeal:

As long as I get a free Star Trek LE, I'm OK.

Better get your preorder in now than, because obviously after Metallica LE. That title and Steve Ritchie attached probably will be gone before any video comes out. It is just that silly right now, in this hobby.

How could I be mad at Stern they make fantastic games most of the time? They are a american company. Not sure why everyone wants to take a shit on them for MOPLE, things get oversold shit happens move on. Don't like it buy earlier, I purchased it day of video from JJ and he had 7 orders before the video or game was confirmed. People want there LE's more than you even know. I feel bad for the smaller companies and people who got bumped but it was not like you could not have prevented this by being a little more aggressive. Anyways I will glad to let locals play mine (if I don't get bumped).

#11 7 years ago

It does suck but no-one is going to die over it. But with the new premium art package I think its a better out come still have a awesome game and extra money in your pocket.

#12 7 years ago

Only way Stern could make this worse is if the Metallica and all future Premium prices skyrocket based on LE sales.

#13 7 years ago

This is starting to be like the price threads. WTF people

#14 7 years ago

Maybe stern wants customers camping out at their front door, like best buy's on black friday?

#15 7 years ago

Lots of egos need polishing around here. No one has even played the game yet and still there grown men crying about it. Its hilarious.

Want some cheese with your whines? Bwahahaa.

#16 7 years ago

We're you able to pay additional for a low number?

#17 7 years ago

Could we stare a new sub forum regarding Metallica LE orders?

#18 7 years ago

Talk about first world problems.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Talk about first world problems.

You mean breaking my back and earning enough to buy a pin? You should be happy you don't live here and have these issues. This has been said a few times. Go get your health care for free and keep your non pinball recriminations to yourself.

#20 7 years ago

No one should be upset at Stern. They do what they want when they want and we still buy their product. It would take many screw ups for that to change and the Metallica LE situation may or may not have even been a Stern screw up.
To the people who complain about prices, we have no one to blame but ourselves. If I'm Stern, I keep raising the prices of the LE's to maximize my profits until I get to the point where I have just enough buyers to sell all 500 LEs to. $500 more per pin means a cool $250,000 in my pocket. Think Stern would have sold all 500 Metallica LEs for $500 more? I do.

#21 7 years ago

Why just the LEs? Stern will sell more Premiums, so if they want to make more money they should raise prices on the games they can sell an unlimited amount of.

#22 7 years ago

I must be missing something.
Why can't Stern just make MORE LE's....I mean what's stopping them.I always thought in buisness you keep selling stuff until people stop buying it.
You know,like,"Sorry we're sold out but you're first on the list for the next batch."Love Gary

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Why can't Stern just make MORE LE's....I mean what's stopping them.I always thought in business you keep selling stuff until people stop buying it.

It's called a premium, same damn game without a number plate. Once an LE stops being "limited" then why even bother. I for one am kind of sick of the hype on an LE, I'd prefer just get a premium and pay $500 or less for it so I don't have a number plate, assuming LEs were never produced anymore. But when I am buying and the LE is available, I am going to go that route, I'm a sucker for it but when I pay extra to get one, I expect it to truly be limited.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

It's called a premium, same damn game without a number plate. Once an LE stops being "limited" then why even bother. I for one am kind of sick of the hype on an LE, I'd prefer just get a premium and pay $500 or less for it so I don't have a number plate, assuming LEs were never produced anymore. But when I am buying and the LE is available, I am going to go that route, I'm a sucker for it but when I pay extra to get one, I expect it to truly be limited.

Well said.

#25 7 years ago

I must be missing something.
Why can't Stern just make MORE LE's....I mean what's stopping them.I always thought in buisness you keep selling stuff until people stop buying it.
You know,like,"Sorry we're sold out but you're first on the list for the next batch."Love Gary

yes... you are missing something... "limited"...

#26 7 years ago

You could always increase the # of limited.WOZ is at 1000 why not Metallica or any title for that matter?Still an LE still got that special powder coat or art or whatever.
Or maybe I should ask:What's an acceptable # of LE's to still be considered an LE?Scott

#27 7 years ago

^^^

then it isn't "limited"... woz isn't a good example, for a myriad of reasons not worth enumerating in this thread, as it would likely send it off the rails...

as far as the question goes: probably they've hit upon a pretty good number already... the feeding frenzy (and associated throat cutting) is actually good for them... if there are so many "limited" editions that everyone who "wants one" gets one, they aren't limited any more...

it is advantageous from a maketing standpoint to "run out"... and when they "run out" in one day, all the better...

#28 7 years ago

So I guess the consensus is WOZECLE is not "rare" enough to be a true LE.
So 500 feels right for an LE.But 1000 is too much.This feeds the argument that they should build one model at one price, and sell as many as possible.tough choice for the manufacturer.I know if it was me I'd be like fire up the LE production line the "people" want more.....but than you hurt the collect ability of it all.And round and round it goes.
So the guys who got shut out of an LE are getting a Premium or not getting a game at all?Scott

#29 7 years ago

Yeah my theory is anything over a 500 run is not limited

#30 7 years ago

500 is a pretty generous "limited" too. That's a decent chunk of the game's total run, I would imagine.

#31 7 years ago

Yeah hence their is no way a run of 1000 can be considered limited

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

You mean breaking my back and earning enough to buy a pin? You should be happy you don't live here and have these issues. This has been said a few times. Go get your health care for free and keep your non pinball recriminations to yourself.

You know that Canada is a first world country too right? I believe Frolic's comment was a comment on all of us getting so worked up about something as relatively trivial as pinball. Don't think it was directed at the US in particular.

#33 7 years ago

Companies always seem to really make people mad when they are in the business of selling luxury items such as premium sports tickets, motorcycles, or even pinball machines. I'm not saying Stern is in the right either way but half (maybe more than half) of Stern's market is still with overseas sales.

Now on to some legit concerns I have:

Stern just raised their prices but it seems they continue to take "shortcuts" on the hardware. Anyone else notice how the flipper parts feel cheaper than even just a couple years ago? The craptastic speaker I saw in a new Tron this week looks like it cost Stern all of about $2.

Back in the days of games like Wheel of Fortune and 24, it probably made sense to cut on quality just to keep the doors open. But now, on the heels of Stern's best year in recent history, why make even more cuts and raise prices?

People buying new pins are paying attention and Stern knows this but they continue to bastardize the "feel" of a quality pinball machine from even just a few years ago.

The only potential motivating factors I really see to do this make Stern look very bad IMHO.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from shlockdoc:

Dude, nothing is "free". We pay for our healthcare in the form of taxes. Buying a pin up here costs more than it does in the U.S.
The point is, most anybody on this site isn't worried about feeding their kids, or the roof over their head. They're worried about the laser-cut metal siding on their Limited Edition pin etc.
Wipe your tears away already. This is a mess alright, but not worth all the whining that everyone is doing, including talk about suing people!

PUT IT IN PERSPECTIVE AND MOVE ON ALREADY.

Sincerely,
the Grown-Ups.

#35 7 years ago

What?

No class action lawsuit?

Where's the guy with a smudge on his TF LE shooter lane when you need him?

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Addams Family Gold is a run of 1000 and is considered limited. Personally, I think 500 is probably a good number. I think a lot of the 500 sold out MOPLE's are in the hands of speculators/hoarders and there are probably not that many more than 500 that really care if their pin is limited or not. I think a lot of the purchasers simply bought them because the Premium 1 version was not as attractive of an art package. Had the Premium 2 version been available (Dirty Donny version) from the start I don't think there would have been this much of an issue because that version looks just as cool and is $500 less.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Stern just raised their prices but it seems they continue to take "shortcuts" on the hardware. Anyone else notice how the flipper parts feel cheaper than even just a couple years ago? The craptastic speaker I saw in a new Tron this week looks like it cost Stern all of about $2.

I agree with this 100%

Especially with the recent music-pins, its a bit disappointing Stern couldn't upgrade the sound system a bit. After dropping $6k-$7K on this pin, they could have bumped up the speakers to $20 models instead of the $5 ones they have installed.

On a bigger note, with pressure coming from new competitors, it would have been a great opening salvo from Stern to release ACDC and Metallica with stereo sound.

Would this really be a huge expense if done at the factory? $100 more? Id pay that.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Would this really be a huge expense if done at the factory?

You do realize they took the spinner off the pro right?
A FRIKKIN SPINNER!
Maybe next game, only the LE's and PREMIUM will have a multiball "feature".

And at the same time, dealers cost has gone up and more and more vendors are trying to sell at MSRP.

The end of $5k new Sterns is near!

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

addams family gold is a run of 1000 and is considered limited.

yes, but against 20,000 units sold, that WAS a fairly small %. Smaller than the % of LE's vs standard models sold today....

quick trivia:

What was the last pinball machine to sell 10,000+ units?

#40 7 years ago

...in the old days a run of 500 meant you were going our of business, today it is a home run. So hat's off to Stern as they keep making NIB pinball for us all. Jpop

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

That is completely subjective and relative. If WOZ sells several thousand, then 1k is pretty limited. OTOH, if a game has 500 LEs and the run of Premiums/Pros is only 2000 or so, then that isn't so 'limited,' is it?

#42 7 years ago

On another note, I wonder how many Stern games have more LE's sold than Pro's? It seems like there are way more Transformer, X-Men, Avengers and ACDC LE's out there than Pro versions. And I don't think I've seen any of Sterns "The Pins". That game is a true LE

#43 7 years ago

Dear Stern - Please raise the price of all LE's to the max available to sell them. No sense in you losing income on something that hasn't left your dock yet. Then take those extra funds to subsidies the price of the premiums to make them more affordable for the lower end collectors. Then make the premium for as long as their are orders for them (same as AC/DC). Now more people can afford your full pin, thanks to the donations of the LE buyers, and everyone whom wants one now can get one.

There, I said it... Flame suite on.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

You know that Canada is a first world country too right? I believe Frolic's comment was a comment on all of us getting so worked up about something as relatively trivial as pinball. Don't think it was directed at the US in particular.

Actually my point is not flag waving patriotism ( Stern Made in the USA ) it is the self loathing "1st world problems, boo hoo , white people problems" it is a pinball forum, it is pinball problems and the love hate relationship. Take your liberal bleeding heart guilt trip BS and go post on a CNN.com.

BTW i could care less about Stern and suing and the joke this title has created.

#45 7 years ago

The more I think about it the more I like one model ;full featured, one price.
Games a huge hit......start making LE's....LOTR style.Scott

#46 7 years ago

Elvis, Spiderman also that I know of Stern wise.

#47 7 years ago

of course you like it, it's your idea...

that being said, it's unlikely it would be workable... "le at introduction" accomplishes many good things for the manufacturer...

especially since there is a relatively large "aftermarket pimpin' parts" market now... 2 years from now, everyone who wants the bling will have already blinged out their machines...

and if they put out an le 2 years from now with "different" gameplay, it sets up a "not so good" scenario when it comes to marketing "the next machine"...

#48 7 years ago

The more I think about it the more I like one model ;full featured, one price.Games a huge hit......start making LE's....LOTR style.Scott

There's too much money to be made with selling LE models.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

^^^
then it isn't "limited"...

Why is so hard for people to understand what the term limited means????

#50 7 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

Why is so hard for people to understand what the term limited means????

because "i want" seems to neuter the rest of their vocabulary...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside