(Topic ID: 1084)

To those that own both Spider-Man and Attack From Mars...

By jar155

14 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by scooter
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 14 years ago

I know that is asking for a small sample, but if you own both machines, do they feel at all redundant? I know the games differ a bit, but they are similar in their layouts. I've played both quite a bit, and I've got a deal made to get a Spider-Man later this month. I really, really want an Attack From Mars as well, but space is starting to be an issue, and I'm also working on a White Water deal.

So, do I just go with AFM because I am such a fan, or do I pair the SM with a WW and go with a bit more varied look/feel?

Decisions, decisions...

#2 14 years ago

Playwise they seem similar. I think I like SM better than AFM. The quotes may not be as funny but I love the music, the side flipper shot and the manual plunger. I wouldn't own both unless space wasn't an issue.

#3 14 years ago

Lucky dude here who has them both. I think I've written about that before, not sure what topic that was. They both play alike (fast, open playfield) but the theme is quite different. And so it the strategy. However, I would certainly compare the games as being alike.

My advice would be to go for the WhiteWater and the Spiderman. Then, when you have seen enough of Spidey, trade it for a nice Attack form Mars. I would not advice having both of 'em at the same time unless you have the room for it.

#4 14 years ago

Sounds like a good plan of attack, Robin. I'll hold off on the AFM for now and pursue that White Water a bit more aggressively.

#5 14 years ago

I have them both and I felt the same way at first. After having them both, you begin to realize that they really are two different games. Spiderman offers a bit more, but AFM has a better theme imo. If I had to choose, I would give the nod to Spidey just because it has more shots. They are both exciting, and if adjusted properly just as hard as each other.

#6 14 years ago

AFM all the way for me! Its my dream pin lol! Spidey is great also but AFM has the complete package,Theme,Artwork,Fast Play,Funny and its bally built!!!!!!

#7 14 years ago

As far as the shooting gimmick in the center, they are extremely similar (Steve Ritchie admits to it). As far as layout goes, you can argue they are a bit different. Spider-Man has lots of ramps, while AFM has more orbits than anything comparitively. AFM as a result, from what I have seen on location, is casuals tend to gravitate toward it more (brilliant Brian Eddy design; "easy to learn, but hard to master").

I'd go ahead and grab the Spider-Man and WH2O. I agree with Robin, in that you can easily sell/trade the Spider-Man later if you find an Attack from Mars. People are always looking for Spider-Man, as it does very well on-route, and is very popular with collectors too. White Water you'll love. I got one, and I wouldn't get rid of it for the world. Super fun game to play, and it still doesn't get boring. Dennis Nordman really out-did himself with the game design.

As far as pinball clones/copies go (excluding the obvious ones in the EM era), I'd have to agree that Medieval Madness & Attack from Mars are the closest you'll get to a cloned pair; barring the inclusion of a game-defining toy.

1 year later
#8 12 years ago

Did a google search on this very topic and found this thread..
I know its a bit old now but Im keen to hear more about both machines being similar.

#9 12 years ago

I just noticed that the OP now has all 3 in his collection. Way to go jar155. Solved that issue.

#10 12 years ago

I own both!! and love them both. neither is going anywhere anytime soon (well except to some shows!!) I just did a PF swap om my AFM, and I have it playing and looking pretty sweet. I had wanted and AFM for quite awhile, when I finally managed to get one...They are similar in lay out, but AFM has the better theme (just my opinion, because the Spidey theme really does nothing for me but I do like the way it plays!)
Someone mentioned that AFM and MM are like twins, I really do not see that... IMHO, AFM is flow, and MM is stop and go...I do not own a MM but have a friend that does so I have played it pretty much....even though the layout is similar, the game play on AFM is WAY better!!

So if it was me, I would go with the AFM and Spidey...but that is again MHO!!

I guess I didn't notice that this was an old thread till I had all this typed... Guess I should read them all before I type a book huh!!

Phoebe

#11 12 years ago

I have them both. If they were the only pins you had, maybe not a good pair. Look, all pinballs are similar. They're pinball. But even the new vs the old, and all the other game place differences make them dissimilar and completely fun in their own rights. You like em, buy em! You can always sell one if you get bored.

#12 12 years ago

I own both and they are different games although similar in layout. The 3rd flipper in SM really gives it an edge in my book and I lean more towards SM than AFM as a theme. Agree with other posters, if you like em buy them and if you tire, those two titles will always sell. SM will never leave my collection. Been tempted a few times on parting with AFM but for now, she stays too. Good luck!

#13 12 years ago

I have both and like them both. Get both. Wh20 is a very fun pin to.

#14 12 years ago

I don't own both, but while they are similar, and I have heard that issue before, I would say AFM and MM are more then same in play, almost identical, even some of the same voice recordings.

#15 12 years ago

I currently have SM and had AFM. No question that they are similar in terms of the layout. The similarity is immediately noticeable. But, they play differently, and of course the theme, call outs, and rules make them quite different.

Smassa currently owns both, maybe he will chime in.

#16 12 years ago

I own a minty original AFM, Addams, Wh20 and Gun n roses.
I never play GnR, I play AFM the most second Addams then Wh20.

Am looking at getting a SM but am also on the fence with waiting to see what else is coming out in the near future. Im limited to space like most of us and can't own everything.

Was almost going to buy a TF le as I do enjoy the game but decided I'm more of a flow man than stop n go. Sm seems to have really good feedback in terms of flow.

#17 12 years ago

I have both. they are both excellent games and deserve the ratings they are awarded. The playfields are similar but to pick one over the other I would jump on AFM. You can always find an SM but AFM for the same money as a SM takes some work.

#18 12 years ago

SM is just a funner pin IMO. I know we all have our own likes but for me ownership wise if I could have either AFM or SM it would be SM without any questions asked.

#19 12 years ago

SM for me and I like them both!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.95
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Wanted
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 21.50
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-those-that-own-both-spider-man-and-attack-from-mars and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.