(Topic ID: 250754)

To the people that offer more than asking price...

By Shredso

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chil (resized).jpg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

You suck. Several times this year I've found decent priced pins on Facebook classified, responded quickly, agreed on the full asking price, agreed on a time to meet and had them back out last second. All but one of the times the agreed meeting time was the same day. You morons offer more than asking price, then they suddenly think they have a gold mine. Then you see it listed at ebay price a few days later. Shame on the sellers for not honoring the deal as well.

#2 4 years ago

I've had that happen but it is what it is. Something's value is what someone wants to pay. But a deal is a deal and in today's world many people's word on "sold" means nothing. I've turned down more $$ to honor the 1st to commit, but I'm old school. If you can pick up that day, it's yours at asking price cash on glass or hold with deposit.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shredso:

You suck. Several times this year I've found decent priced pins on Facebook classified, responded quickly, agreed on the full asking price, agreed on a time to meet and had them back out last second. All but one of the times the agreed meeting time was the same day. You morons offer more than asking price, then they suddenly think they have a gold mine. Then you see it listed at ebay price a few days later. Shame on the sellers for not honoring the deal as well.

Feel your pain man... it sucks for sure. I recently had a deal where they said they wanted us to come at 5pm. We arrived at 4:50pm, only to see someone else pulling the machine out who arrived 15 minutes earlier.

Insult to injury, that buyer was going to part the machine out :~(.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

Feel your pain man... it sucks for sure. I recently had a deal where they said they wanted us to come at 5pm. We arrived at 4:50pm, only to see someone else pulling the machine out who arrived 15 minutes earlier.

What a dick move by the seller. What did he say to you?

#5 4 years ago

It happens all the time. Got burnt that way several times myself. But on the other shoe. If someone is asking less then a game is worth then why not offer a fair price?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

It happens all the time. Got burnt that way several times myself. But on the other shoe. If someone is asking less then a game is worth then why not offer a fair price?

I see what you're saying, I really do,

But I can't be buyer AND seller...

I never list something for sale unless I know what a FAIR price is , how many times have we overpaid for something just because it was more convenient than waiting?
    In the past I've bought pins from sellers who listed at what I PERSONALLY thought was cheap, and when I offered more they politely refused, because I was paying What THEY were asking,

I think alot has to do with the Sellers character

I'm picking up a pin tomorrow from a seller who had this pin listed on Marketplace for over a week at what I consider a good deal, no one noticed, I offered very close to the asking price, I don't feel the least bit bad, I'm very happy as is the seller

Having it turn into an auction sucks, and that has happened to me too, I always walk away, A DEAL IS A DEAL

#7 4 years ago

Obviously not end of the world stuff here, just irritating people don't stick to their word. And irritating that people entice them to not stick to their word. I've often times offered a little more cash after the fact seeing the item was in the condition described and complete. Nobody has ever accepted more money. It happened a few weeks ago with a bass guitar.

#8 4 years ago

This really sucks when it happens in a real estate deal!

#9 4 years ago

I got no problem with higher bidders, they want they game and they are willing to pay for it.
    It's all the sellers issue.

Sucks though I totally hear you there.

#10 4 years ago

I am one of the guys you guys hate. I always offer what I think is fair prices for machines that are under priced. My email is typically something like this: "If your machine isn't already spoken for I would be willing to pay between $ ----- and $ ----- depending on overall condition once I look at it in person". "But I will pay $ ----- regardless of what I see when I look at it in person based on what I can see in your pictures".

Me paying "fair" prices for machines drives my wife totally crazy because she keeps saying "you could have bought it for less money why do you do that". But doing that has gotten me so many more machines I can't even begin to add them all up. Paying a "fair price" for 5 machines by giving the seller a few hundred extra a few years ago got me into the warehouse deal which was a total of over 80 pinball machines plus arcade machines & jukeboxes as well as a bunch of parts. People remember buyers that are "fair" with them and refer other people to those buyers. It is also the reason a couple local "flippers" call me first with every machine they have for sale.

I don't only make "better offers" beyond asking price just to get in the door - very often I give people more than we had agreed on when I see something in person that is better than I thought it would be. So I don't do it just to get in the door - I do it even after a deal has already been made just trying to treat sellers fairly.

Karma is an interesting thing. In life I have found "doing the right thing" always seems to pay off in the end.

#11 4 years ago

Pinkind has long debated the philosophical question; Which came first, a "people keep offering more money!" thread or a "are we in a price bubble?" thread.

The truth is, we may never know.

This has always happened in this and every other hobby. This has always happened in pinball and will always happen as long as there is a pinball hobby.There is nothing you can do about it.

Mark those sellers off your list and keep looking, eventually a deal will work out for you.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

koji what game was it you missed out on? Buck Rogers?

#13 4 years ago

Do you still feel guilty about Xenon?

Quoted from arcademojo:

#14 4 years ago

I'm a firm believe that a man is only as good as his word.
    If I offer someone something at a price and come to an agreement , consider it spoken for.
    If someone offers me more money it doesn't matter, it's committed at that point.
    I will however keep them in consideration if the deal falls though.

If I contact someone regarding a pin and its already spoken for, I have never offered more to try to snake the deal but simply tell them let me know if the deal falls though.
    It's a small world and if you go to events etc. chances are you are going to run into some of the people you purchased a machine out from under.
    I find that I buy more of my pins off other pinball collectors than randoms on CL etc anyway.
    Undercutting or outbidding them is a good way to get alienated to where people in the local community don't want to sell to you.

#15 4 years ago

For a minute let's consider the seller's point of view. How many threads exactly like this one have been started by sellers who have had buyers back out on deals due to "transportation issues", " sick pets", "nagging wives", etc...? Maybe this particular seller thought the higher price offered was worth the risk of being burned.

#16 4 years ago

It’s common in out local real estate market for buyers to offer more then asking. My friend was looking at a place, he offered 30k over asking, and was out bid by someone with 50k over asking.

An item is never worth what you want for it. It is worth what someone else will pay for it.

It sucks to be out bid, but it’s reality.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

I am one of the guys you guys hate. I always offer what I think is fair prices for machines that are under priced.

I'm just wondering where you are even finding "underpriced" machines. Hard to find even fairly priced machines.

Quoted from Coindork:

I'm a firm believe that a man is only as good as his word.
    If I offer someone something at a price and come to an agreement , consider it spoken for.
    If someone offers me more money it doesn't matter, it's committed at that point.

I agree, it seems much more difficult to find integrity these days. I was just burned by someone that didn't show up when I scheduled time for them, I asked for a simple text if he couldn't make it. Not once - but TWICE. No common courtesy at all

#18 4 years ago

When I sold my home I had 4 offers and took the one that made the most sense from a risk perspective. After we selected an offer a ‘investor” from CA swooped in and offered more. I was like, get the fuck outta here bitch, go back to CA.

#19 4 years ago

Offering more does not necessarily correlate with the seller not honoring a deal.
    I see nothing wrong with offering more, but I don’t think that’s makes it okay to back out upon an agreed deal.
    I’ve had plenty of PMs once I went sale pending on a deal. I usually reply with something like this. “Thanks for the offer. If my deal falls through, I’ll get in touch with you to discuss it.”

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from koji:

My bp is rising just thinking of that scenerio,that was super bs

#21 4 years ago

bust the deal, face the wheel

#22 4 years ago

I think your thread title should read " To the people that back out on a deal... "

Because that is the real problem. Unless you have a legit reason, there's just no respectful way to go back on your word, and it usually wastes people's time and money.

People offer more money than asking all the time in every market, especially real estate. Sucks when you're outbid, sure, but that's how it works. Want something bad enough, be the one to pay the most for it. Only becomes a mess when people start backing out, and that goes for buyers and sellers.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I'm just wondering where you are even finding "underpriced" machines. Hard to find even fairly priced machines.

I agree, it seems much more difficult to find integrity these days. I was just burned by someone that didn't show up when I scheduled time for them, I asked for a simple text if he couldn't make it. Not once - but TWICE. No common courtesy at all

I was fortunate, yesterday came across an Airborne Avenger in overall nice shape, for $200. The seller understood it was worth more, but just wanted it gone. In the 3 hours from the time I contacted him until I got to his home to look at it, he had 2 other interested parties contact him offering him more, but he kept to his word. I've been on the other side of that where a seller has turned it into a bidding war after accepting an offer, all I can do is not work with that person in the future and move on in life.

#24 4 years ago

While we are all bitching, may I add that I hate that the market has now moved away from Craigslist to Facebook. Facebook marketplace sucks! One person gets murdered while buying socks on Craigslist and ruins it for everyone.

#25 4 years ago

The people who offer more are not the ones who suck. It’s the people who are not honoring a prior deal or commitment.

And that works both ways.

With pinball transactions it’s only a done deal once the cash is exchanged for the game.

As a seller, I have had several instances where someone commits to buying a game, we’ve talked or emailed, they say they are on their way to get it and never show or bail with some lame excuse and no follow up communication.

Now if they are contacting me to come look at the game and decide, that’s different. They can bail at any time. That’s the risk I take, and if the game has sold before they arrive, that’s the risk they take.

However, a buyer committing verbally or via email to a sale saying I’ll take it, or conversely the seller saying it’s yours and one of the parties not following through is bad form.

We can complain and post all we want, it’s still going to happen, that’s just how some people are.

#26 4 years ago

From a seller's perspective, you just want to sell an item and be done with it. If someone shows up with a bunch of cash and willing to get it gone quickly than that's hard to pass. Dealing with other buyers that don't show up when they say they will, don't have the cash, and low ballers gets old fast. If you see something priced too low and worried about others stealing it from you, offer more money that's more fair to buyer. I bet most buyers would be more willing to honor a deal if you do that.

#27 4 years ago

As a buyer, I never tempt a seller with more money, because I wouldn't want that to happen to me. As a seller, I always honor a deal, whether verbal, handshake or otherwise.

However, with that said, I agree with the above poster about some buyers. Recently trying to sell some items, and it's a pain when a buyer asks for pictures, agrees to a price, and then suddenly drops off the face of the earth. What is wrong with people that they just can't own up to not wanting something anymore. Things happen, I understand, but have the courtesy to send a 5 second email, to say, sorry, I can't honor my purchase anymore, please accept my apologies. And don't use the excuse, I've been away from my email for a week. BS. With today's connectivity, I find that hard to believe, and if you initiated a buy process, how about you don't leave the seller hanging, and stay on top of the communication.

#28 4 years ago

Before I had my stroke and three brain surgeries this; happened to me.

I saw a steal in Laguna beach. It was a Genesis practically free. I think it was Craigslist. I called a friend who is no longer my friend. He snagged that sucker quick.

He got over there and told me he was going to split the profit. He never split any profit of which it was sort of considerable. He probably made atleast 500.

I didn't want anything, but broken promises. I don't need those.

Screw that guy. He is no longer my friend. But this is not the reason, just another one.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

From a seller's perspective, you just want to sell an item and be done with it. If someone shows up with a bunch of cash and willing to get it gone quickly than that's hard to pass. Dealing with other buyers that don't show up when they say they will, don't have the cash, and low ballers gets old fast. If you see something priced too low and worried about others stealing it from you, offer more money that's more fair to buyer. I bet most buyers would be more willing to honor a deal if you do that.

load of dog poop. If you put something up for sale for $200 and someone contacts you to buy at $200 and you agree, but then up the price when someone else shows up to the party later and offers more money - you sir are a turd. The hobby is full of them

I am not saying you have done this but we have to face the facts, there is not much character left in this hobby.

and I do agree with people being a pain in the butt, but if you have a buyer who agrees to asking price and seller ups it then seller is a gigantic turd.

#30 4 years ago

Are friends electric?

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am not saying you have done this but we have to face the facts, there is not much character left in this hobby.

You can't consider someone on craigslist with one game in their house "in the hobby."

These are people who (mostly) aren't going to turn down extra money for the one game they have owned or will ever own. You can make as many angry posts here as you want, they aren't going to read them.

Quoted from Azmodeus:

Are friends electric?

LMAO that crazy wig on Gary's head has always amazed me.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

While we are all bitching, may I add that I hate that the market has now moved away from Craigslist to Facebook. Facebook marketplace sucks! One person gets murdered while buying socks on Craigslist and ruins it for everyone.

I actually got my first facebook transaction in the works. Seller is honorable and man of his word. He stuck with asking price, I was first to say I want it and he is holding it until Friday when I can get there with NO deposit. He got bombarded with messages and people offering more money, but took the ad down and promised to me. There still are a few good folks around.

#33 4 years ago

On the other hand. My closer knit circle of friends is tight now.

These friends I have in pinball are epic people. Some of them are here. On this website.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can't consider someone on craigslist with one game in their house "in the hobby."
    These are people who (mostly) aren't going to turn down extra money for the one game they have owned or will ever own. You can make as many angry posts here as you want, they aren't going to read them.

LMAO that crazy wig on Gary's head has always amazed me.

There are just as money people selling on craigslist as there are pinside. Our local Nashville craigslist is full of hobby folks with the occasional found a pinball machine in grand pa's garage folks.

#35 4 years ago

Looks like i'm gonna be missing out on a lot of deals, cause i'm never gonna be a part of that Facebook clown show.

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

load of dog poop. If you put something up for sale for $200 and someone contacts you to buy at $200 and you agree, but then up the price when someone else shows up to the party later and offers more money - you sir are a turd. The hobby is full of them
    and I do agree with people being a pain in the butt, but if you have a buyer who agrees to asking price and seller ups it then seller is a gigantic turd.

So you assume I am a turd and so are just about all the sellers. That's great. I can tell you that buyers can be a bigger pain in the butt than anything. You think you have full ownership of the item before it's even purchased all because you sent one text and have no problem ripping off a clueless seller. I get the frustration of sellers not being honorable but I see it both ways. Bad characters in the hobby don't just sell games, they buy them, too.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

If you put something up for sale for $200 and someone contacts you to buy at $200 and you agree, but then up the price when someone else shows up to the party later and offers more money - you sir are a turd.

Quoted from jawjaw:

So you assume I am a turd and so are just about all the sellers.

No, @woody76 didn’t assume anything about you. He just said that people who breech contracts are turds. To me, using this forum to bitch about pinball turds makes more sense than using the courts to sue them.

#38 4 years ago

It isn't really an issue with people offering more than asking price it is more an issue of sellers backing out of a deal already made. Once I deal is made - regardless of that deal - I think it is important for both seller & buyer to honor that deal. I never pull "I'll give you $50 more than your best offer" or "I don't care if you already made a deal I'll give you more". My wording is always the same "if you machine is not already spoken for I'll pay $ ---- for it".

I think what burns me more than anything else in the hobby is "picture collectors". In the past month I have taken close to 200 pictures (good pictures cleaned up in photoshop and resized so they load easy) and have sent those pictures to at least 8 different people interested in machines & playfields I have for sale. One by one every potential buyer had an excuse why they were no longer interested in the machines & playfields I was selling. Only one of those people was because of the price or condition of a machine the rest were just excuses.

I wasted the biggest part of a day with ZERO items sold. I don't have these machines set up so every machine had to be moved around, put on legs, pictures taken, then broken back down and put back into storage. I know 3 other guys in the hobby that are so sick of this that they have just started wholesaling machines to Lloyd at coinopwarehouse instead of dealing with tire kickers and I am not far behind them. What doesn't sell for me at the York Show will be going to Lloyd. No more time wasting my time with dreamers - I just don't have the time or energy for that these days.

As far as finding machines - I stopped trying to buy machines about 3 years ago and have bought more machines in the past 3 years than ever before. Not by looking for them but by having people contact me with machines for sale hearing about me from people I had treated "fairly" in the past. Like I said in an earlier post Karma is kind of an interesting thing!

#39 4 years ago

Personally I see nothing wrong with taking more money from someone else as long as you give the original buyer a chance to match the price. It's not hard to reach out and say hey I got a better offer but you were first so this is what it's gonna cost you. Straight up selling it from underneath somebody without letting them know is low.

#40 4 years ago

I don’t find anything wrong with offering more, for me it’s the “flippers” who drive me nuts. All it does is make pins cost more for people who genuinely collect and play them. All they do is stalk craigs or marketplace to get the deal before you, pick it up and charge 1500 more. Now if you’re into repair and restore that’s one thing, just to make money over hobbiest is another in my opinion.

#41 4 years ago

There are people who are so greedy, they can't stand the thought of losing a deal and having someone else get the game. So they queer the deal by offering the seller more money and telling them the other buyer is cheating them.
    Buyers like this stink and should stay out of the mix. I have no problem with them saying if the other deal falls through, I'll take the game sight unseen. But to over bid someone else just to be the one to get the game is unethical .
    Also, it's not my job to educate a seller. If they're too lazy to look on craigslist or Ebay to get a range of prices, thats their problem. Unless its someone elderly or in some reduced capacity where I feel I would be taking unfair advantage of them, then I might give them an unsolicited higher offer. But not if they're too rich to care or too lazy to look. Then I take a good deal. And because I got it cheap, I can let it go cheaper to the next guy. Can't do that if someone else pushes me to the absolute max by butting in with a higher offer.

#42 4 years ago

I agree it sucks but I have found the answer to the problem. Never get excited about a deal until you slam the hatch and are on the road. Anything before that is completely out of your control. Saves lots of heartache.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from C_Presley:

I don’t find anything wrong with offering more, for me it’s the “flippers” who drive me nuts. All it does is make pins cost more for people who genuinely collect and play them. All they do is stalk craigs or marketplace to get the deal before you, pick it up and charge 1500 more. Now if you’re into repair and restore that’s one thing, just to make money over hobbiest is another in my opinion.

I don't understand why anybody cares about any of this stuff.

About 98 percent of people here are "flippers." When was the last time you asked less for a game than you bought it for, unless you were desperate and knew you weren't going to profit?

You can rationalize it any way you want ("I put on superbands!!!") but we are all the same. People love venting about buyers, sellers, flippers etc. etc. but it doesn't change the fact that there's only so many games and a ton of people looking for them. I'm sure it's the same in any hobby that involves buying and selling stuff.

#44 4 years ago

My neighbor is selling his home. He and his realtor agreed upon a price with a buyer approximately 5 days ago. Yesterday, they received an offer of 185K over the original offer. At this time, no contracts have been signed.

What should he do?

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

My neighbor is selling his home. He and his realtor agreed upon a price with a buyer approximately 5 days ago. Yesterday, they received an offer of 185K over the original offer. At this time, no contracts have been signed.
    What should he do?

He should accept the offer for 185K over and sign it with a smile on his face.

I think we've found the one subject that is cargument-proof!

Oh wait, except for classic cars. NOOOOOOOO!

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He should accept the offer for 185K over and sign it with a smile on his face.
    I think we've found the one subject that is cargument-proof!
    Oh wait, except for classic cars. NOOOOOOOO!

But Levi, dear lord, he would no longer be a man of his word!

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

But Levi, dear lord, he would no longer be a man of his word!

chil (resized).jpgchil (resized).jpg
    #48 4 years ago
    Quoted from finman2000:

What a dick move by the seller. What did he say to you?

Not much.. apparently they were confused and made a mistake. >>Shrug<<. That was that

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

My neighbor is selling his home. He and his realtor agreed upon a price with a buyer approximately 5 days ago. Yesterday, they received an offer of 185K over the original offer. At this time, no contracts have been signed. What should he do?

It's been a while since I last bought a house, and I'm sure it varies from state to state, but my recollection was that the buyer and seller exchange written, time-limited offers, which become binding once accepted and signed (or e-signed, since everything's electronic these days) by the receiving party. If they're not even at the stage of exchanging written offers and have just verbally been discussing price, there's no "deal" and your friend shouldn't feel the least bit bad about going with another offer. If the first buyer wanted the house, he should have submitted a written offer and got it signed, instead of dicking around for 5 days.

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

koji what game was it you missed out on? Buck Rogers?

No, lol. That was a good price, (too bad too since I have a spare Sys1 board), but timing was no good for me

Can't recall the title, one of the car themed EMs with a flipper in the middle that rotates? Thought was to grab it for the raffle.

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-the-people-that-offer-more-than-asking-price?hl=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.