(Topic ID: 284527)

To Stencil or Not To Stencil - that is the question.

By pinzrfun

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20201226_185422 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20201226_185437 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20201226_185947 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

The Good: Have a fully functional Night Rider with a pretty decent playfield and nice backglass that I'm freshening up to sell. Boards are in nice shape too, with a few chips re-socketed on the MPU already. Got new rubber and glass, and gonna go through the slings, pops and flippers and rebuild/replace as needed.

The Bad: Someone thought the cabinet would look better beige.

I assume most people would want the original artwork on the game, and guessing maybe $275 in materials to stencil it (stencil kit, sandpaper, paint, primer, etc). But doing all that work would damn near double what I'd ask for the game as-is.

I'd be doing the painting in an attached garage, with a portable propane heater. The sanding would be done in the driveway to keep the debris outside. Did I mention I'm in Michigan, and it's almost January...

So - would you guys go through with stenciling this thing, and why? Or why not?

Release the Kraken!

IMG_20201226_185422 (resized).jpgIMG_20201226_185422 (resized).jpgIMG_20201226_185437 (resized).jpgIMG_20201226_185437 (resized).jpgIMG_20201226_185947 (resized).jpgIMG_20201226_185947 (resized).jpg
    #4 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Unless you want to practice on this game for when you have something more valuable, i would say leave it.
    Experience aside, you will be upside down ( something i am very familiar with) and take a loss. On the plus side, if you do stencil it it will sell much quicker.
    Most buyers do not immediately appreciate that the cabinet looks like new.
    Is it latex paint? Did you try xylene on a hidden corner to remove beige?
    Removing the latex to find so-so cabinet underneath is much cheaper and the return is much higher.

This would be my 3rd cabinet restore. The more I ponder it, I think I'm with you guys, just gonna see if I get any bites as-is.

I'm gonna get some xylene and see what's under this beige first....good thinking.

11 months later
    #5 2 years ago

Just ran across this old thread and thought I'd update the result -

I ended up getting some xylene and it did nothing -

Sold the game and a month later saw it listed on Craigslist again, the guy that bought it used a sander to get down to the original paint and actually didn't mess it up too awful bad.

The end.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinzrfun.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-stencil-or-not-to-stencil-that-is-the-question?tu=pinzrfun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.