“What should I do?”

• Leave it alone! 17 votes
    63%
  • Restore the playfield. 6 votes
    22%
  • Go all out and restore the cabinet and playfield. 4 votes
    15%

(27 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider buschjs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

So I have been tossing this around for a while now and I just can't make up my mind:

I have an extremely nice original TZ, it was my first pin and I have had it for 12 years. The playfield is near perfect... The only visible wear is extremely minor under the ball drop on the left inlane. You really wouldn't notice it unless you were really looking, it is now protected with a cliffy. The cabinet is pretty good, no fade, slight wrinkling around a couple of the legs that is covered by the legs and a few minor nicks here and there, overall it looks great!

So I have been kicking around the idea or restoring to some degree, I am just not sure what I want to do. I would like the mylar removed and playfield clearcoated, I would send this out and have it done by HEP or another proficient restorer. With new decals widely available I have been thinking about that too but I am reluctant because the original artwork is in such good shape.

So what does this forum think I should do?

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from Slaymetender:

I would purchase a new playfield while they are available, and have it stored for an eventual restore.

I am definitely going to keep the original playfield, I have no worries about it wearing out to the point where it needs to be replaced. I have put thousands of plays on the machine... I always keep the playfield spotlessly clean and well waxed. In the 12 years that I have had the machine, there has been no noticeable wear. I think it is a testament to how well preserved a game can be when properly cared for. Keep up on it and hopefully you will never need your replacement playfield. Believe me, I considered getting one when I saw the repros available but I have chosen to pass. If I ever see and wear starting to show, my original playfield will be immediately pulled and sent to HEP!

Quoted from Slaymetender:

do you have picts online of yours?

I honestly have never taken pictures of it. The next time that I have it pulled out I will take some and post them. Hopefully it will be in a couple of weeks when; with any luck I will return from the Ohio show with a couple games that are on my wishlist

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

how different do you think it will be?

The only reason that I am strongly considering this is because I love the appearance of my TAF playfield. It has a nice thick clearcoat and it looks amazing.... almost like the playfield is under glass! You would have to see it in person to truly appreciate it. I purchased it from coasterguy and I am sure there are several other pinsiders who have seen that playfield, feel free to chime in guys!

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You're machine sounds like it's 95% perfect. How much time & money so you think is reasonable to spend to sit back and say "YES! It's 4% better now."

I go back and forth on this all the time, almost that exact same logic has passed through my mind several times. Maybe I am a bit of a perfectionist Admitting it is the first step, right?

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But that time and money...put towards a WH20 or MM...think about it! []

I like it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.50
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 12.95
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 12.95
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider buschjs.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-restore-or-not-to-restore-tz?tu=buschjs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.