• Leave it alone! 17 votes
    63%
  • Restore the playfield. 6 votes
    22%
  • Go all out and restore the cabinet and playfield. 4 votes
    15%

(27 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 9 years ago

So I have been tossing this around for a while now and I just can't make up my mind:

I have an extremely nice original TZ, it was my first pin and I have had it for 12 years. The playfield is near perfect... The only visible wear is extremely minor under the ball drop on the left inlane. You really wouldn't notice it unless you were really looking, it is now protected with a cliffy. The cabinet is pretty good, no fade, slight wrinkling around a couple of the legs that is covered by the legs and a few minor nicks here and there, overall it looks great!

So I have been kicking around the idea or restoring to some degree, I am just not sure what I want to do. I would like the mylar removed and playfield clearcoated, I would send this out and have it done by HEP or another proficient restorer. With new decals widely available I have been thinking about that too but I am reluctant because the original artwork is in such good shape.

So what does this forum think I should do?

#2 9 years ago

I would purchase a new playfield while they are available, and have it stored for an eventual restore. Until then, enjoy the crap out of it. I just purchased a near mint one myself, and that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to enjoy it big time for years to come, and when it really starts to get into shape that needs a restore, I'll send to HEP.

Btw, do you have picts online of yours? I want to see how ours compare

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Slaymetender:

I would purchase a new playfield while they are available, and have it stored for an eventual restore.

I am definitely going to keep the original playfield, I have no worries about it wearing out to the point where it needs to be replaced. I have put thousands of plays on the machine... I always keep the playfield spotlessly clean and well waxed. In the 12 years that I have had the machine, there has been no noticeable wear. I think it is a testament to how well preserved a game can be when properly cared for. Keep up on it and hopefully you will never need your replacement playfield. Believe me, I considered getting one when I saw the repros available but I have chosen to pass. If I ever see and wear starting to show, my original playfield will be immediately pulled and sent to HEP!

Quoted from Slaymetender:

do you have picts online of yours?

I honestly have never taken pictures of it. The next time that I have it pulled out I will take some and post them. Hopefully it will be in a couple of weeks when; with any luck I will return from the Ohio show with a couple games that are on my wishlist

#4 9 years ago

Don't know what you would really gain from restoring the playfield & clearcoating it. There's a point where you are doing things "just to do them." After it's clearcoated, which it already is, how different do you think it will be? Maybe you get it back and it just doesn't play like it used to, and then you spent money to do it.

EDIT: Basically I'd think about it this way. You're machine sounds like it's 95% perfect. How much time & money so you think is reasonable to spend to sit back and say "YES! It's 4% better now."

Time and money that could be put better on a new machine.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

how different do you think it will be?

The only reason that I am strongly considering this is because I love the appearance of my TAF playfield. It has a nice thick clearcoat and it looks amazing.... almost like the playfield is under glass! You would have to see it in person to truly appreciate it. I purchased it from coasterguy and I am sure there are several other pinsiders who have seen that playfield, feel free to chime in guys!

#6 9 years ago

I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it. Is the entire playfield mylared? If so then I would get the playfield restored. I am not a fan of a fully mylared playfield at all.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

TheLaw said:how different do you think it will be?
The only reason that I am strongly considering this is because I love the appearance of my TAF playfield. It has a nice thick clearcoat and it looks amazing.... almost like the playfield is under glass! You would have to see it in person to truly appreciate it. I purchased it from coasterguy and I am sure there are several other pinsiders who have seen that playfield, feel free to chime in guys!

Fair Enough.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You're machine sounds like it's 95% perfect. How much time & money so you think is reasonable to spend to sit back and say "YES! It's 4% better now."

I go back and forth on this all the time, almost that exact same logic has passed through my mind several times. Maybe I am a bit of a perfectionist Admitting it is the first step, right?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

TheLaw said:You're machine sounds like it's 95% perfect. How much time & money so you think is reasonable to spend to sit back and say "YES! It's 4% better now."
I go back and forth on this all the time, almost that exact same logic has passed through my mind several times. Maybe I am a bit of a perfectionist Admitting it is the first step, right?

Sure, I hear what you're saying. You have a piece of art and you're trying to get the best out of it. But that time and money...put towards a WH20 or MM...think about it!

#10 9 years ago

That TAF does have an amazing playfield. I would say wait till it really needs it and play the crap out of it until then so why it is gone you can miss it again.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But that time and money...put towards a WH20 or MM...think about it! []

I like it!

#12 9 years ago

I would do it.

Firstly a playfield swap is not as daunting as people make it seem.
Secondly, as you've owned the game for over a decade you would certainly get back any money you put into it.
Thirdly, you want to do it.

The one thing you need to consider is that the game will not play the same. I restored my TAF and never liked the game after I did. I just didn't like the ball movement. I've also done a BSD and WH2O but restored the games before ever playing a single ball. My AFM I did because I feel the same way you do about your TZ. I wanted to pay it the respect I feel it deserves.
It does play differently but not as much as TAF did.

#13 9 years ago

I can't see why you should, it is an excellent condition original, it has survived all these years in that condition, that is an amazing thing in and of it's self. The few things you are fixing takes away from that originality.

Original means it is not perfect, even NIB does not mean perfect. Keep it in all of it's amazing original glory, leave the restores for the machines that have had a hard life and deserve to be restored. Just my opinion.

#14 9 years ago

If it's in good shape, enjoy enjoy enjoy.

#15 9 years ago

Put in thetime and energy restoring a game that actually needs it! This one is in a lot better condition than many other nice games you could get your hands on.

I did a p/f swap on a Centaur that needed it, though other people would have been happy with the old touched up p/f. This machine is A LOT nicer to play now.

#16 9 years ago

I say get the playfield restored. The cabinet sounds fine right now, so don't restore it just yet.

#17 9 years ago

Why would you want to swap out a "near perfect" pf?
I don't see any need. Keep it a perfect original!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside