Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Leave the Mylar or pull it”

• Leave well enough alone 23 votes
      82%
    • Go for it. Pull it and brighten up the playfield 5 votes
      18%

(28 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

925000def76aeef5a0bb75ce7e968c962766be63.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

I wouldn't touch it. System 11 playfields are tough as it is, and they're notorious for lots of paint and decal loss. If your mylar is decent looking, just polish it up with a headlight restore kit.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Any particular brand.

I've seen some really excellent results when people have used the 3M brand. The kind that use a drill. Don't bother with the first sanding step. Skip to the Trizact pad, then the polish.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY

Edit: And yes, jmountjoy111, I've used the 3M kit on my car, and I can attest to it's polishing ability. It works extraordinarily well. If it doesn't attach to a drill, there's no way you'll get the performance out of it.

#10 6 years ago

This isn't my game, but it's another forum user's. They also used the 3M kit. You can't even tell there's mylar. For $15, it's a hell of a lot less expensive and invasive than seeking out a new playfield.

925000def76aeef5a0bb75ce7e968c962766be63.jpg925000def76aeef5a0bb75ce7e968c962766be63.jpg

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

I have ordered the 3m kit and will give it a try. Thanks so much

Keep us updated on your endeavor! I'd like to see how it turned out for you. Good luck!

#17 6 years ago

GPS, did you skip the sanding step and use those grey Trizact polishers, then the polishing compound and foam pad? I'm curious as well as to what cutting level the rubbing compound is as well. Harbor Freight usually has good deals on large bottles of compounds from meguiars in different cutting strengths. I'm wondering if Finesse of the Ultra Polish would still be alright, despite it not being strong enough of an abrasive.

#20 6 years ago

I'm wondering if you could follow up with that rubbing compound with something finer--like the Finesse as you mentioned, or something similar to get an even clearer deeper gloss? I know it'll never look like a clear coat, but it could be worth trying.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbaumle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-remove-or-not-remove-mylar?tu=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.