8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EEE.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have a pretty nice Whirlwind, that had a NOS playfield installed back in 2005 shortly before I bought it. I love the machine and plan to keep it for a while longer.

The playfield has factory mylar installed on the top half, in the same area as many of them do. However there is no mylar on the lower half. Early on I added a couple of small patch pieces where the balls drop off of the left ramp (2 areas), and in the shooter lane.

I can now see some early signs of wear and would like to come up with a plan on how best to preserve the playfield. I prefer not to remove the upper playfield mylar to then go the clearcoar route. I am leaning towards putting a sheet of mylar down over the entire lower half, and would plan on dropping/removing everything from the bottom half of the playfield. Once the mylar sheet is on, I would then use an exacto knife to cut out the areas needed to remount switches, flipper bats, etc.

Has anyone else tried this approach? If there is a better idea out there, I would also like to hear about what choices I might have. Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EEE.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-mylar-or-not-whirlwind-preservation-question?tu=EEE and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.