Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by examiner
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 12 years ago

Mylar is fine - until dirt gets underneath or the inserts start bubbling. That's when it starts to drive me crazy. Yes, it's there to protect the playfield, and yes - I think it slows down the balls. But sometimes you gotta give a little to get a little....

You'll be fine to play without the mylar protectors. Wax the area and you are good to go. As far as replacement, that's up to you - a lot of folks will recommend replacement of the high wear areas (like in front of slings), but others don't think it's necessary in a home use environment.

Just be careful and research the methods for removing the mylar. Don't just grab a curled corner and pull or you will regret it immensely......

#12 12 years ago
    Quoted from CplusE:

and test dust freeze, and goo gone

I did a full mylar removal on my Pinbot last week using freeze spray. I just found it to be real important to get a good "edge" lifted. Once I did that, it was a piece of cake. About 4 hours with goo gone (PITA) and I was done.

For my purposes, I'm not putting any replacement mylar down or CC the playfield. But it's a lightly played machine. It'll look so much better when you are done (and play better too). Good luck!

1 week later
    #16 12 years ago
    Quoted from CplusE:

what kind of rag would help pick up the glue better

I told CplusE in a PM that rags typically won't cut it until the very last stage. For the first couple of passes at the glue, you need to carefully use a plastic scraper of some sort. Let the goo gone sit for awhile (up to 30 min) then attack it (gently) with a scraper.

After about 2 cycles of that (gg/scrape), you should have 99% of it off, and then you can tackle it with a rag and a quick naptha rubdown.

Then - if you take the time to hit it with a quick coat of wax - if there is any glue left, the wax won't stick to it, and you can easily see whatever little spots you may have missed. At that point I just rubbed the remaining glue off with my fingertips.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider examiner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-mylar-or-not-to-mylar?tu=examiner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.