New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 157604)

To mod or not to mod? That is the question.

By Lemank

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by modfather
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160308_235511.jpg
20160407_060120.jpg
20160417_201114.jpg
!!!!!!aSTTNG_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I am new to the sport of pinball and a lot of people use mods on their pins. I have the dead world mod for my jd and I feel it really adds to the game. Is there a point on when you can have too many mods? What about all the purists out there who don't like mods. Do you consider led's a mod? I really feel they enhance all games but some people don't even like that.

#3 4 years ago

Mod..enjoy your games while you have them. Remove and resell mods if your buyer doesnt want them.
LED's to me isnt a mod just an preference for the player / owner.

#4 4 years ago

I like mods in general. I feel led's really help the game. There are a tons of mods out there.

#5 4 years ago

They're generally just cosmetic, so it's a matter of personal taste.

#6 4 years ago

As long as the mods are easily reversible, it's your game, so have at it.

Just don't expect to make the game worth more when you sell it. Mods don't always bump up the value too much, with the exception of a few high-cost and highly desirable ones.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Lemank:

Is there a point on when you can have too many mods?

Any questions?

#8 4 years ago

Modding a pinball machine can be a blast! Like others have said, make sure they are reversible and go into it knowing you absolutely will not be getting your money back out of what you put in most cases. Any mod that looks like it should have come on the game is a good mod in my opinion. For example, Iron Man figures with lit up chests, TWD Bike Girl Mod, Ac/Dc shoot to Thrill Cannon Mod, MM trolls eyes lit up, Metallica Sparky el wire, etc. Have fun, just don't plan on getting your money back out. Often times, its better to take the mods off the machine and sell rather than included them. It's all personal preference

#9 4 years ago

Mods allow you to "personalize" the game to your liking. 1/2 the fun ( at least for me) is modding to my taste.

Resale time? Pinball is a hobby ( for most), not an investment.....watch Mecum Auto and see 6 figure "modded" street rods sell for a fraction of what was put in.....same principle. Enjoy!!!

#10 4 years ago

Mod, Mod, Mod but as MK6PIN says it is a hobby not the financial review. Have fun and with it if you make some money cool...if not at least you've had fun playing it.

#11 4 years ago

Nice sttng. How many mod guys do you have in there?

#12 4 years ago

I love led's on games and added spots to highlight certain areas of the game.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Any questions?

Holy shit. Where is the game????

#14 4 years ago

Do what you like, some people like to mod, like me, others like their game just like it came from the factory. It's a matter of taste, not bad or good.

#15 4 years ago

Mod mod and have fun. Reversible or not it's your pin so it should reflect who you are.

#16 4 years ago

I use to be against modding bc I didn't keep pins long enough and it be a big money loss.... however now that I have many keeper pins ive been going to town with pdi glass, color dmds, lighting and powder coat.20160417_201114.jpg20160407_060120.jpg20160308_235511.jpg

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I use to be against modding bc I didn't keep pins long enough and it be a big money loss.... however now that I have many keeper pins ive been going to town with pdi glass, color dmds, lighting and powder coat.20160417_201114.jpg20160407_060120.jpg20160308_235511.jpg

I agree. Just like my cars I like to customize them the way I think they should have been done. Caution though it can get it out if hand. In the car hobby I would call it over dressing. It's your game, do what you want but it's easy to get caught up. You'll often hear the term tasteful mods but it's completely subjective.

#18 4 years ago

It's your machine, change what you like. Personally I think most mods are pretty naff. PDI glass and ColorDMD are great. Sticking cheap tacky plastic figures on a machine does nothing for me. BUT it is your machine. If it's easily reversible then it isn't going to affect the value. Basically if it make you happy do it.

#19 4 years ago

I have a preference for mods that are easy to install (remove) and that interact with each pinball machine to improve game play, enhance appearance or solve a problem.

#24 4 years ago

Would blade mirrors be considered a mod? I love the way they look on games.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Lemank:

Would blade mirrors be considered a mod?

Anything that alters the machines from how it came out of the box (other than replacement parts of course) is a mod.

#26 4 years ago

Even changing the stock black rubbers from black to white would be considered a mod. Changing the stock stern pinballs to ultra gloss from pinball life would be a mod. So mod away my friends , don't be scared. Its your game and personalize it to your tastes.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside