Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by badbilly27
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Original or mod - what is your preference?”

• Keep original 15 votes
      29%
    • Mod the game 37 votes
      71%

(52 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

!BoQcrzgBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEuY0dR)GsBLm1m.jpg
    !BoQchM!BGk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEu,Z)hWzDBLm1l.jpg
    !BoQcWeg!mk~$(KGrHqMH-D0EuZJpo-HpBLm1k.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

Curious how many people believe in keeping a game original versus pimping the ride and moding. I would consider changing an entire games lights to LED pimping or modding.

#2 11 years ago

To me it is really going to depend on the current condition and the title.

I like original but some tasteful mods look very nice.

I am a fan of aftermarket toppers.

On the fence about LED's but will probably add them soon enough.

#3 11 years ago

LED's are ok to me since it brightens up a game as long as you dont use LED's that are soooo bright its blinding at times. I dont like all the crap that some people put on games like TZ for example. Some are tasteful but after a while it starts to look like a kids toy box. But hey to each their own.

#4 11 years ago

Keep it original. Are TZ's worth more modded. No.

#5 11 years ago

I like original, however the right combination of LED,s in my system 11 collection make them just look better. IMO I voted mod

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Are TZ's worth more modded. No.

I don't think this is necessarily true. It completely depends on the buyer. For example, coasterguy sold his TZ for something like 6 grand. There is no way he would have gotten even close to that much if it was stock.

#7 11 years ago

The best mods are those that are reversible. Mods are a personal preference and of course some pins have more mods available than others. Can help keep a game fresh for you in my opinion.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from kwiKimart:

Keep it original. Are TZ's worth more modded. No.

If done right yes they are.ast year I had two twilight zones. One stock for sale and mine all pimped out. Both were equally mint. Two buyers wanted mine for $1500 more than the stock one. I ended up modding it up then selling it.

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from HeyYouSir:

The best mods are those that are reversible. Mods are a personal preference and of course some pins have more mods available than others. Can help keep a game fresh for you in my opinion.

Agreed. I like to add my own touch but always easily reversible if need be. Adding to a pin and continuing to work on it is part of the hobby for me but I can see why others rather leave it alone.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Agreed. I like to add my own touch but always easily reversible if need be. Adding to a pin and continuing to work on it is part of the hobby for me but I can see why others rather leave it alone.

Being reversible is a good idea. I've added a couple of toys to my LOTR which can easily be removed if ever sold.

#11 11 years ago

Easy answer: it depends.

Tastefully done (eye of beholder) of course it makes sense to mod your pin.

My Tron Arcade Cabinet 2.0 is one of the best pinball mods EVER, as an example. Is anyone going to tell me that I'd be better off if I kept the stock one in there?

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

My Tron Arcade Cabinet 2.0 is one of the best pinball mods EVER, as an example. Is anyone going to tell me that I'd be better off if I kept the stock one in there?

I agree on this one. This mod is awesome. For me some mods just seem to make sense as they should have been factory to begin with - like Tron. Colored siderails, mirror blades, etc - pimping the ride some work some don't for my taste. Just interesting to see who still is a purist.

#13 11 years ago

If its a theme that really appeals to you.....Mod anne mod often

#14 11 years ago

Totally depends on the machine. No clear cut answer.

#15 11 years ago

I tend to be more of a "production" modification kind of guy. Let me explain...

The Fire! pinball machine by Williams originally was designed with fire hose flipper stickers on both flippers. It never made it into production.

EarthShaker should have had the sinking building, but again costs got in the way.

I tend to go with those types of changes. However, I've seen some really good TZ modifications that make me think twice. Clock face, piano, etc. Some really good ones! The family guy mods have been really good too! Like "the clam" sign! So as long as it adds to the game, I'm all for it!

-Aaron
    (New site design.)

#16 11 years ago

I mod, just as long as they can be installed with no permanent changes

#17 11 years ago

I mod, just as long as they can be installed with no permanent changes

So this would be a little to much for you?

!BoQcWeg!mk~$(KGrHqMH-D0EuZJpo-HpBLm1k.jpg!BoQcWeg!mk~$(KGrHqMH-D0EuZJpo-HpBLm1k.jpg !BoQchM!BGk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEu,Z)hWzDBLm1l.jpg!BoQchM!BGk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEu,Z)hWzDBLm1l.jpg !BoQcrzgBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEuY0dR)GsBLm1m.jpg!BoQcrzgBWk~$(KGrHqIH-DgEuY0dR)GsBLm1m.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Well, you got me on that. That is bad F$%king @$$. im speechless

#19 11 years ago

Yeah that TZ is AWESOME !!!

#20 11 years ago

I agree. That TZ is way beyond modding. More like redesigning.
    B-E-A-UTIFUL!

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Curious how many people believe in keeping a game original versus pimping the ride and moding. I would consider changing an entire games lights to LED pimping or modding.

That is a tough one...depends on the game and the mod...I am not a fan of adding tons of extra toys...but I do like to customize stuff that is already there, add LEDs and toppers...

Phoebe

#22 11 years ago

I believe most, not all, mods are reversible. (The above TZ withstanding)

I think protective mods help preserve a game, and many people don't have a problem with those. (Cliffy, Mantis, Plastic, etc...)

#23 11 years ago

That TZ mod is sick! WOW.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-mod-or-not-to-mod-that-is-the and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.