• Latest reply 10 years ago by Rat_Tomago
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Play it or dig deeper?”

• It looks great an you do risk screwing it up! Play it!! 38 votes
    75%
  • I think the Magic Eraser will get the dirt out of those cracks. Dig deeper!! 13 votes
    25%

(51 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_2769.JPG
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

I used diluted Simple Green, sprayed on a cloth, then wiped on the PF (as that's what I thought it said here to do). Then I used ME with alcohol (step 2). They each got some dirt off, the alcohol more so. I skipped step 3, Novus 2, as I'm nervous about using a product for plastics on something that's not plastic. Then I put carnauba wax on it.

Ok thats fine as there is a fine line between just enough or Ut Ohh!
Better on the safe side.

Quoted from Skybug:BTW I tried the wax - just for a second - on my flaking paint on my backbox. It took off more flecks of paint. How can I keep the paint from flaking any more, like is there a spray wax or something?

Other than a repaint it may be something to live with ,you may want to see if you can treat it like a flaking backglass that is maybe a satin clear coat over it to hold it down, used to painting cars/trucks so wood is a little different as it has a substrate that changes at a rate different than metal (ie: wood and humidity dont get along)so the paint on wood cant keep up with the wood changing at a different rate.

Maybe someone clear coated over a backbox/cabinet and can lead you in the right direction?

For me I will repaint come spring/summer for some pins I have,1st some tracings, get a close color match,repair dings scratches,sand,feather ,mask ,paint.treat it like everthing else I painted (time and patience)and it should be fine.

#202 11 years ago

What I am working on now I simple greened and a light Me rub then a finish glaze.

Looks good so far.

#203 11 years ago

Pic

IMG_2769.JPGIMG_2769.JPG

#204 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

Just wondering if I could've done less harm to my playfield if I went with concentrated Simple Green, as opposed to 91% alcohol. I messed up the beach ball pretty good.

One of the things to understand about the Magic Eraser is that you're goal is to make the swirl marks less obvious. You won't be able to eliminate them without adding paint or clearcoat. If you try to remove 100% of the swirl marks you may damage the playfield, as you've already figured out.

As has already been said, it's a good idea to stand in the player's position and ask, "Can I live with this?" before you go too far.

#205 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

Hi,
I used diluted Simple Green, sprayed on a cloth, then wiped on the PF (as that's what I thought it said here to do). Then I used ME with alcohol (step 2). They each got some dirt off, the alcohol more so. I skipped step 3, Novus 2, as I'm nervous about using a product for plastics on something that's not plastic. Then I put carnauba wax on it.
BTW I tried the wax - just for a second - on my flaking paint on my backbox. It took off more flecks of paint. How can I keep the paint from flaking any more, like is there a spray wax or something?
Thank you!

If the paint is flaking off it's already de-laminated from the backbox. If it's clean, you could potentially clearcoat it and lock the paint in place. Sometimes people will use Krylon Triple Thick to lock in flaking paint on a backglass.

If the paint is dirty, anything you do to clean it will flake more paint off and you'll have to touch up the cabinet sooner or later.

#206 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

If the paint is flaking off it's already de-laminated from the backbox. If it's clean, you could potentially clearcoat it and lock the paint in place. Sometimes people will use Krylon Triple Thick to lock in flaking paint on a backglass.
If the paint is dirty, anything you do to clean it will flake more paint off and you'll have to touch up the cabinet sooner or later.

I like how clearly you answer.

#207 11 years ago

Thank you. I should have been more clear about my flaking paint; it's not on the backglass, but on the side of the backbox. Do you think triple-thick would work there, for now, until I paint it?

#208 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

Thank you. I should have been more clear about my flaking paint; it's not on the backglass, but on the side of the backbox. Do you think triple-thick would work there, for now, until I paint it?

I thought it was clear. I think the Triple Thick would probably lock the paint in place, but I don't know anything about how it would look.

#209 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

I thought it was clear. I think the Triple Thick would probably lock the paint in place, but I don't know anything about how it would look.

I agree with rancegt. Triple thick would definitely work to secure the flaking paint on your backbox, but who knows how it would look. I think the others are right who said to either leave it alone or plan on sanding it down and repainting. I don't see how you can really do anything else with the backbox you showed in the pics earlier. I think you are stuck with what you have unless you are willing to repaint. You will just knock off more paint in any effort to clean it.

#210 11 years ago

I use a light coat of semi-gloss spray Varathane over my cabinet touch ups (actually several light coats) It looks pretty close to the original sheen of the 30-40 year old factory laquer.

Post edited by stashyboy : dangling participle?

#211 11 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I use a light coat of semi-gloss spray Varathane over my cabinet touch ups (actually several light coats) It looks pretty close to the original sheen of the factory laquer after 30-40 years.

But what if we don't have 30-40 years to see what it looks like?

#212 11 years ago

You guys are using simple green on your playfields?!?!

#213 11 years ago

...and the debate continues.....

#214 11 years ago

I used it on my cabinet with ME. Not on the playfield.

You having fun with this, sky?

#215 11 years ago

so, so confused...

#216 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

so, so confused...

Don't be.

What I'm finding is all of it works. It comes down to preference. I don't think I would use simple green on the playfield, but it seems ok on a cabinet with intact paint. I used the simple green concentrate in a spray bottle to wet an ME sponge and wipe down my cabinet. I did not dilute it and I didn't really scrub hard with the ME. I just wiped it down gently until the paint was clean. The only time i felt like i was scrubbing was to remove a couple black scuff marks. At those times, I really paid close attention to the paint to make sure I wasn't wearing it off. If my paint was flaking I would not have done it at all. I would have left it alone until I was ready to repaint.

To clean playfields, I have used the following process with success. Vacuum, wipe down with a lightly damp rag (water), clean with playfield cleaner like novus2 (many people swear by it) or in my case, specialized playfield cleaner, then clean with ME and alcohol, follow back up with playfield cleaner to remove all the ME residue and then wax to preference.

I'm sure others have methods that they like better. This worked well for me on my 1969 Bally playfield. Not sure how this method would work on a Williams or gottlieb of the same era??? But this is what I will try first.

The key with all of this is, ME can work very well but you have to be very careful. Experience will help.

#217 11 years ago

Not sure that this has really been mentioned. One reason for using a non-waterbased liquid (alcohol) for the ME is to avoid raising the grain. Since the liquid/slurry does sit on the field for a few minutes, there is a chance of that happening. Areas around cut outs can absorb on the end grain quickly, not just a quick wipe down. I would avoid using Simple Green for that purpose. Ok on the cabinet wipe down-if it works. I found it not very effective as compared to 'Mean Green' for stubborn stains, smoke residue, etc.

#218 11 years ago

I used diluted/sprayed-on-rag Simple Green on the playfield, because that's what I read - or thought I read - on this thread. Guess I shoulda read it more carefully.

Pafasa, you might want to delete your photo of Simple Green/ME on what seems to be a partially-clean playfield, as it might mislead others who are reading this.

#219 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

I used diluted/sprayed-on-rag Simple Green on the playfield, because that's what I read - or thought I read - on this thread. Guess I shoulda read it more carefully.
Pafasa, you might want to delete your photo of Simple Green/ME on what seems to be a partially-clean playfield, as it might mislead others who are reading this.

Wow, you're right! I know I wasn't talking about using it on a playfield, but I see your point! Ill do that. *******DONE*******

#220 11 years ago
Quoted from Skybug:

I think I read that too. There are so many thoughts on this. I still personally wouldn't use it on a playfield even though it is such a quick exposure. I feel like the risk of water soaking in a bit is too high for me. Funny because I did use a lightly damp rag with water to initially wipe down the playfield. I guess I am contradicting myself a little.

I still won't use simple green or water for Ang real cleaning or scrubbing. Only Alcohol and ME, and playfield cleaner.

#221 11 years ago

OK thanks. Moving on...

1 week later
#222 11 years ago

Finally !!! I have had some time to get back at it. Populating the playfield tonight! Ill post the pics as I go.

#223 11 years ago

On the move! New pop bodies, bases, skirts and springs. Polished up the old rings and they look good. Cleaned all the mystery gunk out of the switch spoons. Adjusted the spoons and switches for what I hope will be very quick pops. BUT...I have lost some screws! All the screws for the popbumpers brackets! On the hunt now!!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#224 11 years ago

good luck on your hunt! these things tend to walk....

#225 11 years ago

Here it is after the mushroom bumpers and the right flipper and the ball trough area installed. Found my pop bumper screws! Woohoo!!!

Found a new problem though. The bulbs in the new sockets I put in the new bumper bodies stick up too far and the bumper caps won't go on. Grrrrr.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#226 11 years ago

Little more done. Have one pop bumper coil cleaned and mounted. Upper arch and apron installed. Found a little Baggie of screws for the apron. They did not get tumbled, so into the tumbler they go along with the tilt bob and rolling tilt mechs. We shall see them again tomorrow!!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#227 11 years ago

Not sure what to do about the pop bumper caps. Anyone ever encounter this? Was thinking of trying to space them up with a stack of washers between the body and cap. The lamp socket is as far down as it will go and the 555 bulb is seated all the way in. Are there lower profile 555 type bulbs??

#228 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Not sure what to do about the pop bumper caps. Anyone ever encounter this? Was thinking of trying to space them up with a stack of washers between the body and cap. The lamp socket is as far down as it will go and the 555 bulb is seated all the way in. Are there lower profile 555 type bulbs??

Just put cointaker mini's in, no clearance issues. Otherwise you can just order the correct part number and replace them

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-25

#229 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Otherwise you can just order the correct part number and replace them
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-120-25

Yes, change those sockets and put #47's in there. More clearance and less burning of the pop bumper caps.

#230 11 years ago
Quoted from jkmboler:

Yes, change those sockets and put #47's in there. More clearance and less burning of the pop bumper caps.

Dang it!! Wish I knew this before I bought the 555 sockets and wired them in! At least I haven't cut the leads yet. I'll use them somewhere else. Thanks for the tips ovfdfireman and jkmboler.

#231 11 years ago

Playfield is all beck together except for the pop caps because I am dumb. Next I will reassemble the coin door and trim and clean up the glass trim. Then I will finish repairing this beauty. Hope it's fun to play! I know it will be fast.

// Error: Image 79423 not found // image.jpgimage.jpg

#232 11 years ago

Couple more pics. Good night!

#233 11 years ago

That last one really features the 'Mummys' in space!! Lookin' good!

#234 11 years ago

It looks great. Aren't you glad you took the leap to ME?

Mike O.

#235 11 years ago

Looks damn good, hard to believe what it looked like when I picked it up....diiiirty!

#236 11 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

It looks great. Aren't you glad you took the leap to ME?
Mike O.

Oh Yeah! Just with what I have learned on this one machine I feel confident enough to tackle any job now. Thanks Everyone!

#237 11 years ago

Still need to clean the glass frame and the backbox. Ill put up a few pics later tonight of the assembled playfield and then I will move on to repair. Probably end this thread soon.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#238 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

BUT...I have lost some screws! All the screws for the popbumpers brackets! On the hunt now!!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has this problem!

Looks great, btw!

#239 11 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the tips and conversation. J had a lot of fun and learned a lot. Whaddya think? Cleanup is finally done. Now on to repair. I'm going to give it my best shot and when I fail, I'll be hitting pinside up for some wisdom.

#240 11 years ago

Beautiful!

#241 11 years ago

Thanks! I just loaded some credits on and started a game. Oh boy! I am in for a ride with this one! Wish me luck.

#242 11 years ago

Beautiful...look at those reflections!

#243 11 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Beautiful...look at those reflections!

Thanks! Do you have your sights on any new (or old) games? I've recently found myself looking for a funhouse to fix up. When did you part with yours?

#244 11 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Thanks! Do you have your sights on any new (or old) games? I've recently found myself looking for a Funhouse to fix up. When did you part with yours?

I just sold my Funhouse last week to a fellow who is equally pinball obsessed so I know it's going to a good home...I also acquired a Williams Phoenix as part of the deal which has a playfield nearly as shiny as yours. . It's been a big couple of weeks as I found a nice Gottlieb Jumping Jack and a really nice Gottlieb Mustang too so I've now totally filled my house to capacity. The nice thing is my wife actually found the Mustang and she has claimed it as her own and has decided to collect machines with a horsey theme. We drove nearly 500 kilometres to pick up Mustang and luckily it was better than I had imagined!

#245 11 years ago

Congrats, looking good, maybe one of these days we can get together and play it!

#246 11 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Congrats, looking good, maybe one of these days we can get together and play it!

Maybe....

2 months later
#247 10 years ago

I wanted to bump this post because ME and Simple Green are amazing products. Even if you think your playfield is clean...think again! Because ME and SG make a playfield POP!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 247 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-me-or-not-to-me/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.