(Topic ID: 139975)

To LED or not to LED that is the question.

By bicyclenut

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Boatcat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpiel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 8 years ago

Until such time that LED 44/47 replacements are indistinguishable from the real thing, I'll stick with the original.

The only exception is for illuminating BGresto backglasses. If you want the same brightness as what 47s provide with a screened glass, then it's necessary to use LEDs to compensate for the ~ 20% deficit in translucency (a result of their double print process which now provides beautifully rich color saturation like screened glasses - a trade off I gladly welcome)

Having said that, it would also be great to hear what *type* of LEDs people have found to be best simulate a brighter #47 from the perspective of color spectrum and dispersion. Intuitively, it would seem that a warm white (bulb style) would be the closest, but would frosted be better than clear? Perhaps "Sunlight" better than "Warm white"?

As a side note, I also heard that sometimes you may get a batch of LED 44/47 replacements that don't fit all that well into the socket or are too high etc. and some vendors are more "return-friendly" than others to swap these out.

Once I get into experimenting with some different LED varieties, I'll report back but, meanwhile, it would be great to hear from anyone who's already done some of these types of comparisons.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cpiel.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-led-or-not-to-led-that-is-the-question?tu=cpiel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.