(Topic ID: 139975)

To LED or not to LED that is the question.

By bicyclenut

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Boatcat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bicyclenut.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I'm a collector of Gottlieb EM's (I have 6). I've always been a fan of trying to keep it as original as possible. In restoring my games I like to buy new posts, roll through guides, pop bumpers with skirts and if drop targets are worn really bad, I'll replace those too. In my restoring process, I always clean the light sockets and replace the bulbs with new 47 bulbs, until now. I decided to try LED's in my Atlantis and love how it came out. LED's in the backglass brings out so much of the color and detail. As for the playfield, I would replace the bulbs in the top only. The bulbs underneath the playfield I would leave as 47 bulbs. Specials and pop bumpers I will put color LED's in. Ive been using the super bright, frosted LED's from Nifty LED. I know some people have problems with the ghosting, but I havent noticed anything .
    Anyways, this is just my opinion and likes. Im curious to hear what the rest of you collectors think.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

So, on the fence, I love them left alone too, with Incandescent.

Im torn too. I like them both ways. Maybe its just a phase for and I'll go back to 47 bulb. However evertime I look at my Atlantis and Jacks Open backglass, it makes me smile at how good they look.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from Pinplayer1967:

such a easy reversible mod that people should not get all pretentious about LEDs in another persons pinball machine.

Agree 100%

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from Drumdink:

A little trick...purchase inexpensive clear LED's and use colored sharpies to get them any color you need. Always hate when I order the wrong colors. I've used this method a few times--color the bulbs as needed and only stock good quality clear (ablaze) bulbs!

Ahhhh good idea. Never thought of that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bicyclenut.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/to-led-or-not-to-led-that-is-the-question?tu=bicyclenut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.